Cost to repaint a Monster S2R? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

Old 10-18-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
AJZ

Garage
Question Cost to repaint a Monster S2R?

Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing a Ducati S2R 800, it's the right price and condition that I'm interested in, unfortunately, the color scheme is completely the opposite of what I was looking for, so considering it's age and the color I'm considering purchasing it then repainting it. However before I proceed I'm curious if any of you have experience with the cost associated with painting a Ducati Monster's tank + Rear Cowl + Wheels + (Possible) trellis Frame? And if so, how much does a job like this typically cost?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2018, 06:50 PM

Garage
cost will vary greatly by your location and level of detail involved in the job. tank, bikini fairing, and seat cowl, one color, i would say no more than $500 all in. wheel;s would be around another $100-150 to powdercoat. as for the frame, if you've got the skills to disassemble the entire bike, i would also get the frame powder coated(another $150). painting all those bars would be extremely difficult, and thus pricey, if you could even find someone willing to do it.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:13 PM

You'll also need the skills to re assemble the bike so that it actually works properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
AJZ

Garage
Thank you for the answers guys. A friend of mine who owns a shop said he'd do it for the $800-$1000 range not including frame. So it sounds like $500 lowend and skies the limit high end. Cheers!
breaddrink likes this.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJZ View Post
Thank you for the answers guys. A friend of mine who owns a shop said he'd do it for the $800-$1000 range not including frame. So it sounds like $500 lowend and skies the limit high end. Cheers!
I'd say that's very low.
I've heard of tanks alone painted for 500.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:04 AM

Garage
again, it depends on your area/market, what you want done, and cost/quality of materials. where i live, body shops charge $75 an hour or so. a basic one color spray shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours labor plus $150 in materials(pint of primer, paint, clear, reducer, hardener, sand paper, flex additive for bikini fairing and seat cowl). again, this is for tank, seat cowl, and bikini only.

i color changed my old monster tank, seat cowl, side panels, and front fender in dark metallic green for $120 in materials and another $20 on two Diavel tank emblems

before & after:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small yellow 1 copy.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	218802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimmed Hugger.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	218804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Green.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	218806  

Last edited by cmross13; 10-20-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:02 PM

Not my choice of green, but looks a lot better after, and looks like you did a nice job.
The prep work is veeeeeery labor intensive.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster4Lee View Post
Not my choice of green, but looks a lot better after, and looks like you did a nice job.
The prep work is veeeeeery labor intensive.
the pics were more for an example of before and after, and to show what it costs for materials. i know its a "love it or hate it" color change

bottom line, there shouldn't be much prep work involved if you dont have any preexisting damage. you could also save some money by disassembling the bike yourself and scuffing everything down with 500 grit. remember to tape off the fuel tank filler and fuel pump holes so no dust gets inside. if you disassemble yourself, scuff everything, and reassemble yourself, you should be closer to the $400-500 mark. again, this is assuming a one color respray. any more $$, and its not a very good friend. the only labor intensive part is wet sanding after color and inbetween clears, IF you want a show-quality finish. i was more after a factory finish due to laziness and the fact that i really only wanted that faded yellow gone lol
Old 10-21-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmross13 View Post
the pics were more for an example of before and after, and to show what it costs for materials. i know its a "love it or hate it" color change
bottom line, there shouldn't be much prep work involved if you dont have any preexisting damage....
The one I did had a dent which I filled with bondo. It probably didn't help that the only place I had to paint was a dark apartment basement. And did not have any equipment, just rattle cans. Ended up looking OK from 10 feet or so, and I decided to never do that again.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:12 AM

the Gas tank is plastic, mines red and it’s molded red plastic, it’s soft to resist dents, so I don’t know how successful painting it would be, the side panels and faring are stiffer, so I would suspect they could be painted.

Which color scheme do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in