Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/)
-   Ducati Monster S Models (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-s-models/)
-   -   Cost to repaint a Monster S2R? (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-s-models/354244-cost-repaint-monster-s2r.html)

AJZ 10-18-2018 03:04 PM

Cost to repaint a Monster S2R?

Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing a Ducati S2R 800, it's the right price and condition that I'm interested in, unfortunately, the color scheme is completely the opposite of what I was looking for, so considering it's age and the color I'm considering purchasing it then repainting it. However before I proceed I'm curious if any of you have experience with the cost associated with painting a Ducati Monster's tank + Rear Cowl + Wheels + (Possible) trellis Frame? And if so, how much does a job like this typically cost?

Thanks,

cmross13 10-18-2018 06:50 PM

cost will vary greatly by your location and level of detail involved in the job. tank, bikini fairing, and seat cowl, one color, i would say no more than $500 all in. wheel;s would be around another $100-150 to powdercoat. as for the frame, if you've got the skills to disassemble the entire bike, i would also get the frame powder coated(another $150). painting all those bars would be extremely difficult, and thus pricey, if you could even find someone willing to do it.

Monster4Lee 10-18-2018 07:13 PM

You'll also need the skills to re assemble the bike so that it actually works properly. ;D

AJZ 10-19-2018 03:19 PM

Thank you for the answers guys. A friend of mine who owns a shop said he'd do it for the $800-$1000 range not including frame. So it sounds like $500 lowend and skies the limit high end. Cheers!

breaddrink 10-19-2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJZ (Post 3160488)
Thank you for the answers guys. A friend of mine who owns a shop said he'd do it for the $800-$1000 range not including frame. So it sounds like $500 lowend and skies the limit high end. Cheers!

I'd say that's very low.
I've heard of tanks alone painted for 500.

cmross13 10-20-2018 06:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
again, it depends on your area/market, what you want done, and cost/quality of materials. where i live, body shops charge $75 an hour or so. a basic one color spray shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours labor plus $150 in materials(pint of primer, paint, clear, reducer, hardener, sand paper, flex additive for bikini fairing and seat cowl). again, this is for tank, seat cowl, and bikini only.

i color changed my old monster tank, seat cowl, side panels, and front fender in dark metallic green for $120 in materials and another $20 on two Diavel tank emblems

before & after:

Monster4Lee 10-20-2018 05:02 PM

Not my choice of green, but looks a lot better after, and looks like you did a nice job.
The prep work is veeeeeery labor intensive.

cmross13 10-21-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster4Lee (Post 3160498)
Not my choice of green, but looks a lot better after, and looks like you did a nice job.
The prep work is veeeeeery labor intensive.

the pics were more for an example of before and after, and to show what it costs for materials. i know its a "love it or hate it" color change ;)

bottom line, there shouldn't be much prep work involved if you dont have any preexisting damage. you could also save some money by disassembling the bike yourself and scuffing everything down with 500 grit. remember to tape off the fuel tank filler and fuel pump holes so no dust gets inside. if you disassemble yourself, scuff everything, and reassemble yourself, you should be closer to the $400-500 mark. again, this is assuming a one color respray. any more $$, and its not a very good friend. the only labor intensive part is wet sanding after color and inbetween clears, IF you want a show-quality finish. i was more after a factory finish due to laziness and the fact that i really only wanted that faded yellow gone lol

Monster4Lee 10-21-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmross13 (Post 3160514)
the pics were more for an example of before and after, and to show what it costs for materials. i know its a "love it or hate it" color change ;)
bottom line, there shouldn't be much prep work involved if you dont have any preexisting damage....

The one I did had a dent which I filled with bondo. It probably didn't help that the only place I had to paint was a dark apartment basement. And did not have any equipment, just rattle cans. Ended up looking OK from 10 feet or so, and I decided to never do that again. :laugh

Venturamonster 10-23-2018 11:12 AM

the Gas tank is plastic, mines red and it’s molded red plastic, it’s soft to resist dents, so I don’t know how successful painting it would be, the side panels and faring are stiffer, so I would suspect they could be painted.

Which color scheme do you have?