S2R 1000 Running Temps - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dacquisto
  • 1 Post By JonS2R

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

S2R 1000 Running Temps

I read the thread about the S4R running temp, and I'm a little concerned...

Newer bike for me.

It hasn't been terribly hot out (about 70 F), but I seem to get upwards to 225-230 (in traffic) fairly quickly. More like 180 when on the freeway.

What could this possibly mean? I just had it in for oil, new belts and chain service, and they said everything "checked out well," but this - they wouldn't have noticed. Can anyone give me advice on which direction I should be looking as far as possible problems creating this?

Also, (side note?) I get an occasional burst of gas fumes. Is this normal?

TIA

"No, it's not broken - that's just what I tiger purrs like."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:49 AM

Those are a bit higher than normal, but not worryingly high, as far as I can tell. Are you running on stock exhaust and ECU? My old S2R1000 ran about 10C lower after changing those. By the way, maybe you should have the radiator and oil pipes drained and checked.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne View Post
Those are a bit higher than normal, but not worryingly high, as far as I can tell. Are you running on stock exhaust and ECU? My old S2R1000 ran about 10C lower after changing those. By the way, maybe you should have the radiator and oil pipes drained and checked.
Thank you - I took it by Seattle Ducati and they guided me on paying attention to the temps in the city, and said they would check the spark plugs when I bring it in. (To see if it perhaps is running too lean.) I have the dual side exhaust and they will look to see if this was done correctly, when I bring it back in, because often the FI system needs to be adjusted when this is done.

However, it seems I have bigger fish to fry right now, since it went from instant push-button start a week ago, to not starting today. Turning over, but quickly cutting out. One try there was a huge "clunk." I'm really nervous about this. The check engine light and oil light are going on. This thing was running like a dream other than running at high temps, now this.

Last edited by dacquisto; 05-15-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:14 PM

Hi. I just picked up an 07 s2r 1000, and I've noticed the same 200+ Temps on street and freeway. It has Arrow exhaust. So, I hope we can clarify this issue. I plan to change the oil next weekend so I can confirm what effect that has.

On another note, I also had to deal with the fuel pump short issue in the flange assembly...thank you Property Italian for selling me the replacement part, even though I had to modify it to work.
Good luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerHo View Post
Hi. I just picked up an 07 s2r 1000, and I've noticed the same 200+ Temps on street and freeway. It has Arrow exhaust. So, I hope we can clarify this issue. I plan to change the oil next weekend so I can confirm what effect that has.

On another note, I also had to deal with the fuel pump short issue in the flange assembly...thank you Property Italian for selling me the replacement part, even though I had to modify it to work.
Good luck!
Update: The modified exhaust is probably the culprit. At least that is what they told me at Ducati Seattle - that when you modify the exhaust, you start running into temp issues. I found out the spark plugs are a little bit black if anything, so I'm not running lean.

Interesting about the flange assembly. I just had the fuel pump sensor and wire kit replaced. They said that this bike will have that issue, typically, but once you fix it, it should be good to go - not a reoccurring issue.

And congratulations! This bike, for me anyway, does NOT disappoint.
gdembs likes this.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacquisto View Post
I read the thread about the S4R running temp, and I'm a little concerned...

Newer bike for me.

It hasn't been terribly hot out (about 70 F), but I seem to get upwards to 225-230 (in traffic) fairly quickly. More like 180 when on the freeway.

What could this possibly mean? I just had it in for oil, new belts and chain service, and they said everything "checked out well," but this - they wouldn't have noticed. Can anyone give me advice on which direction I should be looking as far as possible problems creating this?

Also, (side note?) I get an occasional burst of gas fumes. Is this normal?

TIA
I was about to say that those temps are the same as what my bike has been running at lately BUT it's also been in the mid to high 90s here. I think it's hit in the low 200s on cooler mornings when riding in traffic.

The owner's manual says the high temp warning comes on at 338F so I would think that you're still within an acceptable temp range but I'm still new to these bikes so take that for what you will.
gdembs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode