Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/)
-   Ducati Monster S Models (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-s-models/)
-   -   Silly question about warming up my S2R 1000 (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-s-models/352890-silly-question-about-warming-up-my-s2r-1000-a.html)

dacquisto 05-01-2018 02:29 PM

Silly question about warming up my S2R 1000

I realize this is a total newbie question, but I would love it if someone would weigh-in about warming up my bike.

I used to have a '98 M900, that I used to let warm up religiously, and just bought a 2008 S2R 1000 with an open clutch cover, a couple days ago. Long story short... I have neighbors and a lot of new excitement about this thing, so... I am, wondering how long I need to let this thing idle and warm up before riding? Do I have to wait until the digital "LO" goes away? Or when the idle drops back down? Or can I ride it gently in 70 degree weather carefully until it warms up, or will I destroy it if I do this?

philb 05-01-2018 09:25 PM

On my M900, I would warm it up just until the oil was circulating, about 30 seconds, and then set off gently for a minute or two -- enough to get out of the neighborhood -- and then I was good to go. I broke it in carefully and properly when I bought it, and again at 122K miles when I replaced the piston rings. I changed the oil every 5K to 6K, always with synthetic. That was a good enough practice to get me 24 years of daily riding, and to 265K miles with no engine rebuilds, so I think that's probably adequate.

PhilB

Luca Brasi 05-02-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philb (Post 3155106)
265K miles with no engine rebuilds, so I think that's probably adequate.
PhilB

265,000 miles! :0

breaddrink 05-02-2018 08:52 PM

Following.
07 S2R here.

I too.. I'm careful and let things idle for a little while, but I'd be interested to hear opinions.

Got any pics, dacquisto?
Oh hey, you're in Seattle too. I'm over in Kirkland. :)

philb 05-02-2018 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca Brasi (Post 3155162)
265,000 miles! :0

Yep. And it was still running strong. I bet it would have gone at least 300K, maybe more, but it got mashed by a hit-and-run driver last year. It was scruffy as heck, but worked great. So I'm looking for a new bike.

PhilB

dacquisto 05-03-2018 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philb (Post 3155106)
24 years of daily riding, and to 265K miles with no engine rebuilds, so I think that's probably adequate.

PhilB

Ummmm.... I'll go with your advice. ha ha!
I was thinking I am probably dealing with "new baby paranoia."

dacquisto 05-03-2018 02:05 AM

No pics yet. I want to wash it first, but for some reason, when the sun is out, I feel more like riding it than washing it. Go figure.

I used to drive through Kirkland all the time for work. Lake Washington is a nice ride.

dacquisto 05-03-2018 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philb (Post 3155274)
Yep. And i was still running strong. I bet it would have gone at least 300K, maybe more, but it got mashed by a hit-and-run driver last year. It was scruffy as heck, but worked great. So I'm looking for a new bike.

PhilB

Dang. I think they are all beautiful, IMO. That one has character, for sure.

My last one was a '98 M900, and I am glad I went bigger. The S2R 1000 is surprisingly MUCH heavier and stable feeling. Feels totally different - less squirrely and more powerful feeling, if you ask me. I am really happy with my '08. I believe it is a good year, and it only had 3k miles on it; so even though I wasn't "looooooking" for another bike, it was practically thrown at me.

Cowens726 05-03-2018 09:24 PM

My ritual is pretty much the same as Philb. Fire it up let the oil circulate, just about long enough to get my gloves on and strapped. Then roll low and slow for about 5 to 10 minutes which is what it takes to get to the freeway then it's on. Granted mine is an 01 900 but I would treat them all the same. The only difference would maybe be a carby model knowing how finicky carbs can be.

dacquisto 05-03-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowens726 (Post 3155465)
The only difference would maybe be a carby model knowing how finicky carbs can be.

[thumbsup]
Yeah - my -98 M900 had a carb, and was a bit more finicky, for sure. This one starts right up and runs great from the get-go. I just want to treat it well - it's my first fuel-injected bike.