Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Silly question about warming up my S2R 1000

6K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  dacquisto 
#1 ·
I realize this is a total newbie question, but I would love it if someone would weigh-in about warming up my bike.

I used to have a '98 M900, that I used to let warm up religiously, and just bought a 2008 S2R 1000 with an open clutch cover, a couple days ago. Long story short... I have neighbors and a lot of new excitement about this thing, so... I am, wondering how long I need to let this thing idle and warm up before riding? Do I have to wait until the digital "LO" goes away? Or when the idle drops back down? Or can I ride it gently in 70 degree weather carefully until it warms up, or will I destroy it if I do this?

#2 ·
On my M900, I would warm it up just until the oil was circulating, about 30 seconds, and then set off gently for a minute or two -- enough to get out of the neighborhood -- and then I was good to go. I broke it in carefully and properly when I bought it, and again at 122K miles when I replaced the piston rings. I changed the oil every 5K to 6K, always with synthetic. That was a good enough practice to get me 24 years of daily riding, and to 265K miles with no engine rebuilds, so I think that's probably adequate.

PhilB

#20 ·
Got any pics, dacquisto?
Oh hey, you're in Seattle too. I'm over in Kirkland. :)
I have a pic I took at Ducati Seattle - I know it's not a full shot, but I was trying to be discreet.

Also, not entirely sure the best way to post this since you can't pull links from Flickr, but I'll try...

#7 ·
No pics yet. I want to wash it first, but for some reason, when the sun is out, I feel more like riding it than washing it. Go figure.

I used to drive through Kirkland all the time for work. Lake Washington is a nice ride.

#9 ·
My ritual is pretty much the same as Philb. Fire it up let the oil circulate, just about long enough to get my gloves on and strapped. Then roll low and slow for about 5 to 10 minutes which is what it takes to get to the freeway then it's on. Granted mine is an 01 900 but I would treat them all the same. The only difference would maybe be a carby model knowing how finicky carbs can be.

#10 ·
The only difference would maybe be a carby model knowing how finicky carbs can be.
[thumbsup]
Yeah - my -98 M900 had a carb, and was a bit more finicky, for sure. This one starts right up and runs great from the get-go. I just want to treat it well - it's my first fuel-injected bike.

#11 ·
The main thing about carbs is that they don't like to sit; they gum up easily. If you use them regularly, they work just fine. My M900 was a daily driver, so I rarely had problems with it. The original carbs wore out and had to be replaced at 185K. I got a set of used carbs with about 30K on them, and used them for 80K, so those had about 110K on them when the bike was mashed, and they were still working fine. Once you get the hang of using the choke, they were fine for starting and all. I had to upgrade my starter circuits for the colder seasons; stock it didn't like to start below 40F (5C). But once I went to 4g cables, and added a dedicated ground cable, then as long as the battery had a decent charge it started fine down to 20F (-7C).

PhilB

Attachments

#12 ·
My M900 cad a carb, and I had a good mechanic (aside from his bouts of shooting seagulls with his BB gun and insisting about telling me about it), that was happy to tweak it. But I am new to FI and last night I had my first issue with what I think was that... It was cooler out last night, and before it had a chance to warm up, the bike didn't want to start and kept dying. I eventually got it started without wearing out the battery, and kept the RPMs up high enough to not let it die. I think no more quick trips to the post office 'till I get to know the bike a little better.

#14 ·
Right NOT turning over slowly - but not exactly starting up fine, either, which made me think it was the fuel injection (?) rather than the battery. It turned over several times before starting, then quickly cut out. This was after going only about three blocks/minutes then turning it off to mail my package at there PO. Then this morning, it started and ran fine. So, I'm thinking it had to do with the cold and the fuel injection, but I'm not that familiar with this machine.

#15 ·
Yeah you know I'm not that experienced with mine either.

Haven't had it cut out, (I imagine plugs are original?) but it'll be quite plodding on startup sometimes. I have no idea of the age of the battery, so I have that in mind.
Somewhere on here, someone was selling one, and his started up on the button press, it was crazy. He attributed that to a brand new battery.

Rob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.