Silly question about warming up my S2R 1000 - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

The main thing about carbs is that they don't like to sit; they gum up easily. If you use them regularly, they work just fine. My M900 was a daily driver, so I rarely had problems with it. The original carbs wore out and had to be replaced at 185K. I got a set of used carbs with about 30K on them, and used them for 80K, so those had about 110K on them when the bike was mashed, and they were still working fine. Once you get the hang of using the choke, they were fine for starting and all. I had to upgrade my starter circuits for the colder seasons; stock it didn't like to start below 40F (5C). But once I went to 4g cables, and added a dedicated ground cable, then as long as the battery had a decent charge it started fine down to 20F (-7C).

PhilB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165 sm.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	217314  

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
The main thing about carbs is that they don't like to sit; they gum up easily. If you use them regularly, they work just fine. My M900 was a daily driver, so I rarely had problems with it. The original carbs wore out and had to be replaced at 185K. I got a set of used carbs with about 30K on them, and used them for 80K, so those had about 110K on them when the bike was mashed, and they were still working fine. Once you get the hang of using the choke, they were fine for starting and all. I had to upgrade my starter circuits for the colder seasons; stock it didn't like to start below 40F (5C). But once I went to 4g cables, and added a dedicated ground cable, then as long as the battery had a decent charge it started fine down to 20F (-7C).

PhilB
My M900 cad a carb, and I had a good mechanic (aside from his bouts of shooting seagulls with his BB gun and insisting about telling me about it), that was happy to tweak it. But I am new to FI and last night I had my first issue with what I think was that... It was cooler out last night, and before it had a chance to warm up, the bike didn't want to start and kept dying. I eventually got it started without wearing out the battery, and kept the RPMs up high enough to not let it die. I think no more quick trips to the post office 'till I get to know the bike a little better.

"No, it's not broken - that's just what I tiger purrs like."
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 08:27 PM

Garage
"Didn't want to start and kept dying"?

Turning over slowly, or firing up fine, then quitting? How long was the duration of run time?

Last edited by breaddrink; 05-05-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaddrink View Post
"Didn't want to start and kept dying"?

Turning over slowly, or firing up fine, then quitting? How long was the duration of run time?
Right NOT turning over slowly - but not exactly starting up fine, either, which made me think it was the fuel injection (?) rather than the battery. It turned over several times before starting, then quickly cut out. This was after going only about three blocks/minutes then turning it off to mail my package at there PO. Then this morning, it started and ran fine. So, I'm thinking it had to do with the cold and the fuel injection, but I'm not that familiar with this machine.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 01:28 AM

Garage
Yeah you know I'm not that experienced with mine either.

Haven't had it cut out, (I imagine plugs are original?) but it'll be quite plodding on startup sometimes. I have no idea of the age of the battery, so I have that in mind.
Somewhere on here, someone was selling one, and his started up on the button press, it was crazy. He attributed that to a brand new battery.

Rob.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 12:03 PM

I have an FI model and use starter fluid and hold open the throttle for a second to get her running on cold mornings that she won't start. Not an issue after that.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacquisto View Post

Yeah - my -98 M900 had a carb, and was a bit more finicky, for sure. This one starts right up and runs great from the get-go. I just want to treat it well - it's my first fuel-injected bike.
I'll never go back to carbs. FI for life now that I know how maintenance free it is.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Somewhere on here, someone was selling one, and his started up on the button press, it was crazy. He attributed that to a brand new battery.

Rob.
Wait... That's unusual to start right up with the button press? B'cause that's what mine normally does...

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UglyBastard View Post
I'll never go back to carbs. FI for life now that I know how maintenance free it is.
You know... I was warned about FI before I bought my '98 M900 that had a carb. But I think I now see the light.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Got any pics, dacquisto?
Oh hey, you're in Seattle too. I'm over in Kirkland.
I have a pic I took at Ducati Seattle - I know it's not a full shot, but I was trying to be discreet.

Also, not entirely sure the best way to post this since you can't pull links from Flickr, but I'll try...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode