Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

S2R800 suspension upgrades:are they worth it?

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  roadsterdoc 
#1 ·
Hi all,I have a 2005 S2R800 which I love however I just wish she had a bit more poke. I have fitted pod filters, 14/41 gearing, DP ecu and a QD exhaust and I feel the next step would be to swap out the forks and rear suspension for some thing like those from a 749, however I am unsure whether this would be over capitalising on a bike that I will more than likely sell for the 1000 in a year or two. I know these mods won't be "worth" it from a money point of view but I'd love to know about the improvement in handling. If any one out there has carried out these suspension mods I would love any feedback or advice to help me make my mind up.

#2 ·
For the street, the OEM suspension is fine. If you're going to do track days, you may want to consider having Ohlins internals installed in your front forks (around $500). Most important first step is to truly make sure the suspension is set up for your weight, skill, and types of riding you do. This starts with making sure your static sag is correct by adjusting your pre-load. You can do this yourself (with help from 2 friends), or might be best to take it to a good suspension shop. I'm lucky to have Mark-Built near me to do this.
You generally won't​ get much of your money back on suspension upgrades (unless it is a track bike). Most buyers won't care, and are more interested in exhaust and carbon fiber bling.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I agree with gdembs .
you will never get your money back and yes very much consider your weight.
the s2r800 is sprung for a 175 lbs rider

and frig yes spend the money. I installed a 999 on the back and andreani cartridges in the front and damn.
not quite a street fighter but a hell of a lot better than stock. i have spend a lot of money on my bike. see the list.
but the single best purchase were those cartridges and they were the cheap one. many makes of cartridges out there.
the 999 rear shock, well that went for two bottles of red to from a buddy who upgraded for the track.

#4 ·
If you feel like doing it, do it. Youll learn a bunch about setting up the suspension and that will help when you set up the next bike. As stated above, set your sag, which may mean shimming or replacing springs. Change oil, if you feel you need more or less damping. You can experiment with fork height for better turn in. Maybe an adjustable rear shock. Its fun, and youll like your bike better.

#5 · (Edited)
Miss my S2R 800. But its suspension was Primitive Pete, and (esp in front) too soft for even my 145 lb ass.

Read a bunch of threads about installing Suzuki GSX-R forks, cartridges, Ohlins, and so on..."almost" updated its suspenders, but ran across a blown-up S2R 1000 and bought it. Better suspenders, and (once I put the motor right) a good bit more power too. (Downside is the DS valve guide issues, but that is a known quantity, and it's not a death sentence.)

If you get a chance, ride an S2R 1000, then figure out which path you want to take. Selling the 800 and buying a 1000 in equivalent condition would (IMHO) put you money ahead.

If so, you can still pump money into the S2R1000's engine and suspension, but you will be starting out way ahead in both respects.

May even lead you, at some point, to look at an S4R or S4RS (which is where I ended up). Whole different animal, with a whole different personality and (in some cases) a whole different set of issues.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Monsters, and enjoy.

Edited to add:
One more difference: the 800 has a slipper clutch that was ahead of its time. But the 1000 has a dry clutch which is an integral part of the Ducati Orchestra. :)

#6 ·
I did all this 5 years ago.... my best advice... sell it and buy an s2r1000. Save yourself a fortune trying to fix allbthe short comings of a bottom trim level spare parts bin bike.

#7 ·
Did an SBK conversion on my M620ie and am running a 999 rear shock. Granted it's not an S2R800 but the shock & forks are the same from the factory. Even with the spring rates jacked up for my weight and the weight of the bike (362lbs last time it was weighed), it's a helluva lot better planted than stock. Total cost for the swap was $375 (foks $250, shock $75 and machine work on the top clamp $50) I'll likely have less than a grand after installing the RaceTech valving and proper springs (no labor costs, I'm doing the work). You'll still not get your money back even at that level of upgrade. If you want a 1000, after you upgrade the suspension, just roll your own. Used DS and a reflash of your ECU and there you have it. Plug and play deal. Likely spend more that way, but you'll know what you have when you're done.

#8 ·
I started with an S2R 800 and added 748 forks and 999 rear shock, but I also replaced the engine with one from an 1100S and did too much other work to repeat in this thread - if you're interested in possibilities check out everything I did in my thread.

The absolute best money spent hands down was a used set of BST wheels I picked up. It completely changed the bike.

#10 ·
I went with OZs. Night and day difference in performance. Money well spent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.