right turn signal after turning the key off - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation right turn signal after turning the key off

Anyone solving this issue? It just appeared on my 2005 S2R 800, 55kkm (35kmil), i made 25kkm of those

after i turn the key to off position, the right signal is 12 times blinking (2slow,10fast), and on the right display, temperature briefly changes during a bit...

Bike starts & is running ok, lights &signals as well (all same speed and intesity)..., battery seems ok
i bought the bike with led turn signals, but they worked two years without any issue

dash diaasembled, completely dry, as new, no signs of rust, no issues
(apart of small broken plastic tabs, they used to hold the speedo/tacho motors in place, fixed by ziptie and bit glue)...

i saw these posts from past, but found no solution or even description of the cause...

any advice? thanx please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:24 AM

Hey man. So if it's not the actual dash, or indicators, check the wiring to and fro each.. I had an issue with my dash going out and losing gauges on a 796 - dealer replaced stator, regulator and battery, before I found the gremlin.. a piece of wiring harness was touching an 02 sensor and had burned through, giving me bare wire to bare metal.. Problem only happened after thoroughly warmed up.. So the electrical stuff can be tricky for sure. Sounds like you've evaluated the basics, so that's my .02, start tracing wiring.

I know this is a completely different bike, but does it have an immobilizer? Does that flash after turned off?

After re-reading, blinkers work fine while running, so probably not resistors..

So clarifying.. You turn it off and the actual blinker on the right starts flashing, or just the blinker on the dash?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for response
i made some more tests and the situation is this:

When i put the key in and turn on, right blinkers (fr&rear) blink for fraction of a second, everything else is ok, bike runs and all el. stuff works as expected

When i turn the key off, the right blikers blink 2times slow and 10times fast, during that the ODO and TEMP stays on the display, then immo blinks as usual...

BUT, when i leave the blinker switch on to left or right, than it doesn't blink after key off... and it remembers the state and starts blinking (omn the corresct side) after next key on...

so i cleaned the blinker switch on the handlebars, (but it looked clean enough before) - no change
i checked cables under the seat and on the taillight, cleaned connectors, the same for front and rear signals, headlight and horn, no issue found

i guess have no O2sensor, since its pre-CAT version, but i will check oiltemp, clutch, stand and other sensors & cables as well to be sure...
ECU looks fine, as well as TPS, no sign of rust anywhere

thanks for any input
MJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:43 PM

Well, it is fantastic that this isn't affecting operation, but clearly there's a message the bike is trying to relay..

Do you happen to have both keys, and have you tried the on / off with both keys?

Is there any reason any ground wires would have been moved recently?

Did you check/ clean the main harness to the back of the dash?

Sounds like a maintenance sequence, but that it's going to indicators instead of the immobilizer lights for some reason.

I'd try second key first, bc that will maybe rule out the immobilizer/ recognition of that key.

Do you have (by any chance), a second set of led's or just one? Feel like switch the lights is coming as a test..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

i have both black and one red key + card
wiring looks original, also the wiring to blinkers looks fine and untouched

the blinkers seem to be changed by dealer from new (only the font are led, rear are different but still bulb)
the key i usually use works fine, i think immo is ok, as the bike starts fine and immo diode blinks whenever key is removed

it appeared after day after a wash, so i suspected moisture somewhere, but i found nothing so far...
display was dry and clean, sealed connectors looked fine and unsealed showed no sign of rust
blinker look dry inside, head/tail lights as well
where else could moisture cause this issue?

i will check ground as well, try to find spare signals for test
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 AM

Hey man. Check out the last post here.. Not a fix but..

https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...-shutdown.html

Current: 2016 Monster 1200
Prior:2014 Monster 796, 2005 Harley FXD, 1994 Sportster 1200, 1973 Honda CB350F
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:14 AM

Meant to reply sooner too. Don't forget that electrical stuff is tricky obviously and it doesn't always mean follow those direct lines. Hence some heat issue on wiring to the dash could cause blinking rather than just heat to wires of blinkers, so make sure you get as much of a look at all wires and connections as possible. Obviously you want to know particularly which connections are more susceptible to water too since you said you had washed it recently before. Side note : after I wash or get caught in the rain, after drying (which I only do after wash) I always put a space heater in the garage next to the bike to help dry it as thoroughly as possible. Sounds ridiculous, but I've read enough of these type issues to learn to do something proactive. This pic was from earlier this week when I was caught in the rain.. Left it like this overnight.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:16 AM

In case link didn't show
https://goo.gl/photos/k64565n78XLMw8up9

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:13 PM

The problem is with the electronic flasher relay that is built into one of the chips on the mainboard of the instrument panel.
Sorry to say it but this will cost a replacement panel or live with it as is
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

i will check the all the wiring, and test all the sensors and switches with multimeter, just to be sure....

but i found out that most people who experienced either lived with it until sale or changed the panel.

maybe the summer sun will heal the bike let's ride...

thanks for the advice, will let you know if i found anything new...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode