Ethanol fuel in my S4RS - Page 4 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM

I'm confused. I thought the steel tanks were different than the nylon tanks, especially when it comes to the fuel pump fitment? i didn't know they were a direct swap?

If they were a direct replacement, i would have likely gone that route, and 1k was far less than I ended up spending on an OEM replacement, and you got a custom paint job (and more durability/repairability) to boot.

The seven pounds part sucks, but i would have taken the tradeoff for less cash / better range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

My understanding is 2001 and up tank works but you must use the appropriate pump for the tank. That's a minor expense considering what people are spending.

07 S4RS, 96 900 SS, 06 Busa, 77 Bonny, 00 Superglide, 78 SR500, 85 Sportster
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

My tank seems to be shrinking back down as I dilute the ethanol fuel .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:42 AM

Garage
Tank swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidn01 View Post
I'm confused. I thought the steel tanks were different than the nylon tanks, especially when it comes to the fuel pump fitment? i didn't know they were a direct swap?

If they were a direct replacement, i would have likely gone that route, and 1k was far less than I ended up spending on an OEM replacement, and you got a custom paint job (and more durability/repairability) to boot.

The seven pounds part sucks, but i would have taken the tradeoff for less cash / better range.
The swap is pretty easy - bought a used hinge on eBay (they're different), bought a used fuel pump assembly, new hoses, new filter, and an external fuel pressure regulator (ca-cycleworks has the best I was able to find). There's a thread on here somewhere that discusses tank swaps. I'd love to have one of the aluminum tanks that MotoWheels is selling, but $2200 to start plus I'd have to buy all the internals again - can't do that for 7 lbs. - the other option is ETI-FUELCEL, but you might have the same ethanol problems again. There's even a debate as to whether ethanol would take apart the aluminum over time. Unfortunately there's no really really great solution that I'm aware of.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc96cr View Post
My tank seems to be shrinking back down as I dilute the ethanol fuel .
I hoping mine will as well. I brought 5gal of non-eth fuel back from AR a few weeks ago, it's almost gone.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

I've been really busy and it's been raining a lot or I'd have had it all used up, but their cant be much left . My tank has shrunk about half way back to fitting on the frame as it should.

post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Update. Filled up with pure gas again, the ethanol should be gone or diluted extremely. No further shrinkage though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode