2006 s2r 800 - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:07 AM

Garage
The front suspension is pretty cheap and easy to upgrade. I bought a set of used 748 forks ($200), had the top triple bored to 53mm ($35), and shimmed the bottom triple with the kit from MotoWheels ($20).

With the help of the members on this forum the swap was easy. There are plenty of write ups on how to do it, and plenty of people here willing to walk you through the job. You just need a way to lift your front end off the ground, a few sockets and a couple of Allen wrenches.

I just bought a new set of triple clamps - so I'm selling the bored top triple together with the shims if you do decide to go that route. It'll save you a little time and money.

I also did the 999 rear shock - that's a piece of cake too and one can be had for around $80. Just need to lift the bike from the rear (I use a ladder and wratchet straps), install a crankcase breather filter rather than the overflow box, make a simple piece to hold the R/R (I have the one on MotoWheels for sale too as I made a new one out of aluminum for weight savings), cut a small/thin piece of mounting tab off the frame, undo 2 bolts, slap it in, and bolt it back up.

Then I paid $40 to have the suspension set by a local shop and no spring changes were required. Maybe not the BEST money can buy, but a hell of a lot better than stock.

Last edited by fch99; 03-16-2016 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Added more information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerDelance View Post
is this the red one with white wheels? i think i saw it last year for sale
Yes it is.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fch99 View Post
The front suspension is pretty cheap and easy to upgrade. I bought a set of used 748 forks ($200), had the top triple bored to 53mm ($35), and shimmed the bottom triple with the kit from MotoWheels ($20).

With the help of the members on this forum the swap was easy. There are plenty of write ups on how to do it, and plenty of people here willing to walk you through the job. You just need a way to lift your front end off the ground, a few sockets and a couple of Allen wrenches.

I just bought a new set of triple clamps - so I'm selling the bored top triple together with the shims if you do decide to go that route. It'll save you a little time and money.

I also did the 999 rear shock - that's a piece of cake too and one can be had for around $80. Just need to lift the bike from the rear (I use a ladder and wratchet straps), install a crankcase breather filter rather than the overflow box, make a simple piece to hold the R/R (I have the one on MotoWheels for sale too as I made a new one out of aluminum for weight savings), cut a small/thin piece of mounting tab off the frame, undo 2 bolts, slap it in, and bolt it back up.

Then I paid $40 to have the suspension set by a local shop and no spring changes were required. Maybe not the BEST money can buy, but a hell of a lot better than stock.
How much do you want for the MotoWheels bracket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 03:55 PM

Garage
Rr relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTDE View Post
How much do you want for the MotoWheels bracket?
They're 25, I'll take 12.50 + shipping.

http://motowheels.com/i-7774617-cors...ter-00-08.html
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fch99 View Post

i'm interested in the front end setup complete - pm me please if you're still selling it
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:46 AM

Garage
This is what I'm selling now.

post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty 2.0 View Post
New here from Canada and saw an s2r for sale for almost $8,000 cad.It was lady ridden and has only 900kms on its belt. Any inputs regarding the s2r and what do you think guys of me getting the bike? is it a good deal? Thanks in advance.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a 10-year-old bike with less than 1000kms on it, if I was planning to ride it. That means it has been ridden about 50 miles a year on average, and it's been sitting in storage and rotting a lot. That's fine for a collection or a museum, but if you're going to ride it, you want a bike that actually works. A bike on which the seals and gaskets and hoses and all that haven't dried out and rotted. I'd want to get something with at least 30,000 kms, and many of those recently put on.

This bike is certainly going to need cambelts. And tires. How has it been stored? Battery removed or at least with a battery tender? Tank full and with stabilizer (good) and/or ethanol (bad) in the fuel or not? Or stored dry? I wouldn't touch it, especially for that price. Save yourself both money and headaches by getting one that's seen some use.

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
Personally, I wouldn't buy a 10-year-old bike with less than 1000kms on it, if I was planning to ride it. That means it has been ridden about 50 miles a year on average, and it's been sitting in storage and rotting a lot. That's fine for a collection or a museum, but if you're going to ride it, you want a bike that actually works. A bike on which the seals and gaskets and hoses and all that haven't dried out and rotted. I'd want to get something with at least 30,000 kms, and many of those recently put on.

This bike is certainly going to need cambelts. And tires. How has it been stored? Battery removed or at least with a battery tender? Tank full and with stabilizer (good) and/or ethanol (bad) in the fuel or not? Or stored dry? I wouldn't touch it, especially for that price. Save yourself both money and headaches by getting one that's seen some use.

PhilB

You got some good insights there. So, it's better for me to get a Duc which has high mileage compared to a very low one? Have no idea how was it stored. Wouldn't the bad things show up the moment the bike will be started and ridden? The dealer says no test pilots but would start and ride the bike himself and take it to the freeway with me following and observing. I know that its not the best thing for me to know if it rides good, but at least would hear and notice if something is off with the bike. Thanks.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty 2.0 View Post
You got some good insights there. So, it's better for me to get a Duc which has high mileage compared to a very low one? Have no idea how was it stored. Wouldn't the bad things show up the moment the bike will be started and ridden? The dealer says no test pilots but would start and ride the bike himself and take it to the freeway with me following and observing. I know that its not the best thing for me to know if it rides good, but at least would hear and notice if something is off with the bike. Thanks.
At least medium mileage. I wouldn't want to buy anything that has less than 1000 miles (1600 km) per year on it average. That's not just for a Ducati, but for any bike (or car). The more I deal with machines, the more I think that sitting unused is the worst thing you can do to them.

And the problem is that, no, the bad things don't show up right away. A rotted fuel line might work for a while before the vibration and unaccustomed use makes it let go. A dried out gasket might be OK for a while, before it starts leaking oil. If it starts right up and rides well, that's good, but it's not the whole story. And things like unusual vibrations from flatspotted bearings, tires, etc., or poor operation of controls from unlubricated cables, or twitchy switches from contacts that have corroded from disuse, wouldn't be obvious if you weren't on the bike; you won't catch those by watching.

All of these things might be fine. But they also might not; it's a gamble. I once dug a 15-year-old Honda literally out of a pile of garbage and leaves, where it had been for at least 5 years, rattle-canned it black, and got it running just fine with a few rubber bits and tires and cleaning. Then I put a few thousand miles on it without any real trouble. But I didn't count on that happening. And my total investment in the machine was less than $500, so I didn't care too much if it didn't work out.

Others may disagree with me, and I'll admit I'm at the far end of the spectrum here (with my M900 that's about to turn over 250K), but I'm way less afraid of high miles than I am of storage and disuse.

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)

Last edited by philb; 03-18-2016 at 05:31 PM.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
At least medium mileage. I wouldn't want to buy anything that has less than 1000 miles (1600 km) per year on it average. That's not just for a Ducati, but for any bike (or car). The more I deal with machines, the more I think that sitting unused is the worst thing you can do to them.

And the problem is that, no, the bad things don't show up right away. A rotted fuel line might work for a while before the vibration and unaccustomed use makes it let go. A dried out gasket might be OK for a while, before it starts leaking oil. If it starts right up and rides well, that's good, but it's not the whole story. And things like unusual vibrations from flatspotted bearings, tires, etc., or poor operation of controls from unlubricated cables, or twitchy switches from contacts that have corroded from disuse, wouldn't be obvious if you weren't on the bike; you won't catch those by watching.

All of these things might be fine. But they also might not; it's a gamble. I once dug a 15-year-old Honda literally out of a pile of garbage and leaves, where it had been for at least 5 years, rattle-canned it black, and got it running just fine with a few rubber bits and tires and cleaning. Then I put a few thousand miles on it without any real trouble. But I didn't count on that happening. And my total investment in the machine was less than $500, so I didn't care too much if it didn't work out.

Others may disagree with me, and I'll admit I'm at the far end of the spectrum here (with my M900 that's about to turn over 250K), but I'm way less afraid of high miles than I am of storage and disuse.

PhilB
That was well said, I do understand your point. Well, if it was only for a bargain pricxe, then I could take the risk. But price is high for its year model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode