Starting Point for my 2006 Monster S2R 800 Dark - Page 54 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 17Likes

post #531 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, now I'm going to replace the generator with one out of a 1098s.

I bought the generator from Imperial Including magneto for about $100, and an adapter from Ferracci for $200. Supposed to reduce weight by 1.5lbs - hopefully a decent chunk will be from the spinning part

Here's are the 1098 parts and adapter on a scale.

Didn't weigh the bolts, but they're stainless and that'll be fine.

Will have to extend the wires that go to the r/r or relocate it nearer to the front. I'm going to see if I can do the relo as first choice (maybe closer to the newer monster style so that it gets tons of air cooling), but extending the wires will be easy enough if I have to go that route.

I'll post the weight changes as soon as I pull and weigh the old parts. Maybe this coming weekend TBD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #532 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hmmmm

OBD2 Bluetooth-> https://lonelec.co.uk/index.php?rout...&product_id=57

No need for the cluster anymore, just an iPhone App. Also gets all other apps on the dash - maps, music, much much more. Remove lots of wires.

Combine with motogadget m-unit, m-button, m-lock - remove many more wires. Clean.
post #533 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:17 AM

I tried using a wifi obd2 adapter with the Lonelec 3-pin-to-obd cable and didn't have any real luck. The Monster's ECU doesn't seem to speak the same PIDs as a car. Maybe that's already a solved problem? I haven't done any further research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #534 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Obd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalor View Post
I tried using a wifi obd2 adapter with the Lonelec 3-pin-to-obd cable and didn't have any real luck. The Monster's ECU doesn't seem to speak the same PIDs as a car. Maybe that's already a solved problem? I haven't done any further research.
Not sure whether this will work the way I am trying. I've done some research and decided to see if this easy way will work first. If not there are other ways. Some of the software allows you to map your own PIDs, and some guys in D.ms created a google doc showing various Duc models PID mappings. They and others have created arduino-based solutions that definitely work, but would require a lot more work. Lastly, to get it right, I'll probably have to develop a mobile app that shows exactly what I want on it...

It's got to be a highly desireable mod across the board, I would think?
post #535 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 01:25 PM

Could you share that link? Might have to obfuscate it to get past the forum overlords…

I had the impression that only the newer ECUs were CAN, not the ones used on the S2R. But I'd love to be wrong!
post #536 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
CANbus

Quote:
Could you share that link? Might have to obfuscate it to get past the forum overlords…

I had the impression that only the newer ECUs were CAN, not the ones used on the S2R. But I'd love to be wrong!
Pretty sure that it was required by the time that S2R's were delivered, and I have some indications from error codes in GuzziDiag that there are CANbus messages flowing on my mixed up bike. Have a read through the following and let me know what you think.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multi...bluetooth.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multi...-decoding.html

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=813963652
post #537 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:00 PM

It appears the Fiat 3-pin OBD2 adapter that is appropriate for *my* '07 S2R 1000 only brings out the K and L lines (pins 7 and 15), which are for the older ISO9141 (pre-CAN) implementation of OBD2. The CAN hi and low lines are on different pins in the ODB2 connector (6 and 14, respectively). I'll try to probe my adapter this week and confirm, but I'm pretty sure our bikes are not CAN. I think it'll be feasible to reverse-engineer how GuzziDiag is talking to the bike using the 3-pin adapter, however.
post #538 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool.

I'm waiting for this device to arrive and will try a few apps to start.

JPDiag uses the serial line, but said this sort of thing should be done on the can bus specifically mentioning 5am ECU - just another data point.

There's also a few arduino implementations that have been done, but none with s2r's that I've found. GaugeFace for Harley did the same, but is out of business apparently.
post #539 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 02:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
That fender looks sharp. Where'd you get it? I've got an SBK fender on mine, but it doesn't have the hole in it, and it looks a bit too smooth and bulbous for the S2R, but it *does* protect the fork lowers.
It's identical to mine and mine came from Slingshot Racing. Listed as fitting a 748/916. Shaved a full pound off the plastic stocker.
post #540 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Obd2

Quote:
It appears the Fiat 3-pin OBD2 adapter that is appropriate for *my* '07 S2R 1000 only brings out the K and L lines (pins 7 and 15), which are for the older ISO9141 (pre-CAN) implementation of OBD2. The CAN hi and low lines are on different pins in the ODB2 connector (6 and 14, respectively). I'll try to probe my adapter this week and confirm, but I'm pretty sure our bikes are not CAN. I think it'll be feasible to reverse-engineer how GuzziDiag is talking to the bike using the 3-pin adapter, however.
So, I have an iPhone and the device I ordered works with Android, so far no luck even seeing it in a Bluetooth discovery. I tried the device on my car too - same result. Have to try with my laptop next. Maybe tomorrow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode