Starting Point for my 2006 Monster S2R 800 Dark - Page 53 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 17Likes

post #521 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98snakebite View Post
I have 3 inch rise clip ons, and I love them because with a twist of a 5mm allen I can move them up and down as needed for the ride I am on.

On another note, I have a 620 Dark that I want to put a 1100S engine in. I have already swapped in an S2R swingarm, and have about a million dollars in billet Speedymoto, DP, Cyclecat, and Ducabike farkles on it, so no, I won't be selling it and buying another bike. The motor is getting tired, and the clutch is starting to slip for the 29th time, so I figure this winter will be it.

Besides, built always beats bought, right??

Anyway, I have read about your several iterations of the bike. With your current experience, How would you go about putting that motor in now? Swap in the 848 timing gear, keep the 800 harness (same as mine) and just flash the ecu with GuzziDiag? Is it really that simple?

Thanks for helping expand the knowledge that is out there and for not being afraid to jump in with both feet.
Hi - thanks for the props!

It's a little, but not a lot more than that.

I am not sure what the difference is from a 620 to an S2R 800, so I can't be sure if this is the complete list, but here goes... (Might be able to find similar parts on bikes I haven't listed - this is what I did).

Also, I upgraded my suspension and brakes pretty significantly prior to throwing in the additional power - not being your mom, just make sure that you have the setup to handle the additional power since you'll end up with double hp at the rw I bet (the Ducati marketed specs are not dyno reality).

1. Intake manifolds from an S2R1k
2. Dual Spark Coils from an S2R1k or 1100. You'll also need new ignition cables. A nice upgrade is to go with 4 single spark coils, but that's documented in my thread elsewhere and not necessary.
3. Full Arrow system for S2R1k - my S2R 800 setup did not work - yours *might*, but Idk.
4. 848 timing gear (while I was in there, I put in a lightweight flywheel, some Ti bolts, and a set of ergal pulley rollers. I'm also doing a SBK stator conversion, but all that is just for extra reduction in rotating mass.
5. Not sure which ECU you have - it's a Marelli, but is it a 5AM or other? You can find that by looking at the ECU and reading the sticker. No matter what - don't mess with GuzziDiag, I really really tried and even with a lot of help couldn't get it to run even close to decent. I sent mine to Rexxer finally (after bricking one), and got it back fast and running brilliantly. I also had the immo disabled, which you can do with GD, but not in combination with a completely custom map. Trust me, and just do it that way from the beginning.
6. I also had my TPS reset manually and electronically, intakes balanced, and air bleed set by a local Ducati wizard - $200, but worth every cent.
7. I also had it dyno'ed and PCV mapped, which didn't add a whole bunch, but since I plan cams, port and polish, + HC piston heads in the future, I wanted to get it ready for that. Again, not really necessary to start.
8. The thermistor (oil temp/pressure for ECU) in your horizontal cylinder head will work, but you'll need a valve cover that comes from an S2R1k since yours won't fit. Be very careful wen removing the thermistor from your valve cover as it's very delicate and a PITA to removed properly. I ruined one, which means the bike won't run.
8. I also rebuilt (replaced) my clutch with light weight parts

I think that's about it. LMK if you have any questions and don't hesitate to ask for some support when you get underway. Above all take your time and do everything right.

Good Luck!

Last edited by fch99; 08-03-2016 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Auto-correct correct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #522 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
BTW - this is how you gather firewood on your Ducati...

post #523 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Garage
You can do better then that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #524 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuattroCreep View Post
You can do better then that.

Good one!

FYI - I did have a full pannier too and my buddy loaded up his FJ so I wouldn't damage my pretty Ducati
post #525 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:26 PM

Garage
Curious about the need for a longer crank case breather

Life is full of sharp corners
---------------------------------------------------------------
Current:
2007 S4RS
2004 749R #203
2006 S2R1000

Past:
2009 M1100S
2006 749S
2009 848
2006 S2R800
2004 M1000Sie
2006 S2R800
post #526 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Crankcase Breather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohm3d View Post
Curious about the need for a longer crank case breather
I have a CNC racing crankcase breather That doesn't have a reed in it, and I noticed oil spots on my right side just downwind of that, so since I am touring, I just decided to stop by AutoZone and extend the tube to the filter. When I get back and tear into it again I'll see if I can figure out any more, but for now it seems to have stopped the issue.

I guess that high revs can cause oil to shoot up the tube and saturate the filter, which then releases droplets of oil.
post #527 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Made it back after ~2700 miles. Not the best touring bike, but lots of fun in certain spots.

Time to tear in to some new mods... and I'm starting with this...

post #528 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
AZ Desmo Owners Club annual party this weekend so I'm cleaning 2500 miles of bugs and chain lube in order to not completely embarrass myself.

Put an SBK carbon fiber front fender on. Took off .6lbs of unsprung weight - looks nice too!

post #529 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 06:15 AM

That fender looks sharp. Where'd you get it? I've got an SBK fender on mine, but it doesn't have the hole in it, and it looks a bit too smooth and bulbous for the S2R, but it *does* protect the fork lowers.
post #530 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalor View Post
That fender looks sharp. Where'd you get it? I've got an SBK fender on mine, but it doesn't have the hole in it, and it looks a bit too smooth and bulbous for the S2R, but it *does* protect the fork lowers.
Thanks - I'm really pleased with it, it looks a lot better than I expected and didn't realize how heavy the stocker was until I held them side by side. I'll keep the stock for my touring configuration.

Got it here -> http://houstonsuperbikes.com/i-85780...nt-fender.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode