Starting Point for my 2006 Monster S2R 800 Dark - Page 17 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 17Likes

post #161 of 541 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshinn View Post
You won't get it out soaking it with wd-40, and if I were you I would forget about the Dremel idea.

Take it to a shop and have them press the steering tube out and the bearing will come with it. Take everything home and clean it up then put the steering tube in the freezer for an hour and heat the lower triple with a propane torch and it will drop right in.

Then put the whole lower assembly in the freezer for about an hour and the bearing in an oven at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes and everything will drop ride together no cutting grinding or banging necessary.
Awesome advice. Thank you, sir!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 541 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toytuff View Post
I knew you were good Bob. Real good.

tt
Simple physics Gentlemen..........nothing more, nothing less.
post #163 of 541 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 05:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Simple physics Gentlemen..........nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, have read this method in the past.

tt

1982 Suzuki GSX400E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 541 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 05:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fch99 View Post

If anyone reads this who has a set of black billet 22mm fork preload adjusters they want to part with, please PM me.
Unless you just want them for looks bag that idea. Once you get the preload set you won't adjust it enough to make them worth while. And unless you intend to run clip-on's I doubt they will even fit.
post #165 of 541 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 05:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toytuff View Post
Yes, have read this method in the past.

tt
Works like a charm!
post #166 of 541 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update

Started putting everything back together tonight, but still awaiting some parts - most importantly the new forks, which should arrive Tuesday next week.

Installed titanium counter-shaft bolts
Installed titanium rear rotor bolts
Installed titanium rear pinch bolts
Installed titanium rear brake caliper carrier bolts

Waiting for the new forks then I'll install titanium front pinch bolts and titanium front brake caliper carrier bolts.

Wow the titanium looks nice and shiny - I think I've got a new addiction...

Picked up the upper triple bored to 53 mm
Picked up the lower triple sans race

Should get the bearings tomorrow, so by end of day the triples should be set and waiting for the forks.

Started the long job of cleaning the front calipers - already looking much better, but still some way to go.

Relocated the rear coil again so that it's not visible and I have a clear view to the new rear shock and piggy back canister. Looking sweet - can't wait to get it all together and try out the new suspension. I figure I'll ride it like it is for a bit then take it in for a tune so that I can really enjoy the difference even more.

Started thinking about trying to strip and dye the triples, but then decided that I didn't need to do that until some other time - don't really want to paint them because I expect they'll chip and look crappy pretty quickly.

That's enough for today.
post #167 of 541 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Installing new bearings

Quote:
Works like a charm!
Going to give your method a try tomorrow night, will post how it goes. Fingers crossed that I don't forget to put the seal down first - doh...
post #168 of 541 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Preload adjusters...

Quote:
Unless you just want them for looks bag that idea. Once you get the preload set you won't adjust it enough to make them worth while. And unless you intend to run clip-on's I doubt they will even fit.
They should fit since I'll have an extra 25mm from the 7/8" to 1-1/8" conversion risers. If it looks like it'll be too tight, I'll send them back. Looks are a part of it, but I want to mess around with the setup for a while and it'll just be easier. Maybe I'll wish I spent the money on some titanium though...
post #169 of 541 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
More...

Today I received the new tapered bearings for my headset and my new CNC Racing handlebars.

I stripped the triples using Klean Strip - that sh*t is strong - they came out looking like shiny new aluminum. I almost decided to clear coat them and leave them like that, then I considered trying anodizing, but finally I went with flat black paint/primer. I got a few coats on and painted the shims for the lower triple and the throttle tube at the same time.

I put some Driven D3 grips on the bars, then drilled a hole in them for the throttle assembly.

I put the races for the stem in the freezer for an hour, then smacked them back into the frame with a rubber mallet using an old race to seat them all the way in. On the way home I stopped by the local Ace Hardware and picked up a one foot length of copper to use as a float for seating the stem tube races tomorrow. Definitely plan to use the BSHINN method of freezer for the tube and oven for the race to get the bottom one on.

After I finish the paint tomorrow (a few more coats), I'll seat the race, mount up the triples and set the entire handlebar system up.

After that, I just have to wait until Tuesday to get my new forks, then I'm back on the road.

Probably going to change out the old front sprocket retaining plate too, the current one looks a ragged.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
post #170 of 541 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:01 AM

Garage
You won't need the copper tube, bearing will literally drop in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode