695 Monster stalling out after running a few minutes - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

695 Monster stalling out after running a few minutes

Hi all,
hate to ask this, but I'm having a problem with my 2007 695.
I got a fresh battery and fresh tank of gas.
When cold, it starts fine and idles fine.
I take it out for a ride, but it stalls out after 1/2 mile or so.

I can restart it, it's a bit rough, sometimes need to give it throttle, but it doesn't stay running. It will stall out after ~30-45 seconds

Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

Someone mentioned to open up the gas cap, and then try starting it that way. (I'm not so sure if thats safe to do)

thanks
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:37 PM

Garage
Hi Ken,

no need to open gas cap all the way, just pop it to ensure no vapour lock in tank, make sure no fuel leaks out, it shouldn't.

Could be water or dirt in fuel tank, or blocked fuel filter. water and sediment settle when stationary, go for a ride and it mixes and gets sucked into filter.

A place to start anyway, when was the filter changed last?

If all clean and good, it's on to electrics

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Ronski

The gas tank has been emptied and dried before gas was put in.
I have not changed the filter tough.

But it's weird that the engine seems fine when starting from cold (after sitting overnight). But after ~10mins or so it starts to act up.

If the filter is clogged, it should be bad regardless of temps, right?

Regards
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:03 PM

Garage
I can't say for sure if it's the filter. Usually a bad filter causes misfire when accelerating, but like the tank, fuel and dirt settle overnight so it sometimes starts ok then restricts flow when driving. Filters are cheap to replace, next, I would check fuel pump and hoses, I have had a hose in the tank split, started ok, then died after a 30 seconds or so.
Can you hear the pump priming for a few seconds when turning key on? Have a listen cold and when it dies. a split hose will give a gurgling noise, but not if the tank is full as it's all submerged.
really, it's a matter of troubleshooting.

I would first check pump, hoses and filter. Next, it may be cutting out because it's getting hot, a bad coil or sensor maybe, usually though it won't start again because it's still hot. It starts again when hot but roughly, which is why I suggest fuel issues first. Then the electrical testing.

Hopefully others will add ideas etc.
kmn5 likes this.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Hi, Ducatis...beautiful motorcycles..worst electronics ever. I'm willing to bet it's the harness to your fuel pump. I happened on my multi and I'm sure it will on my monster. There's a round plug that goes through the fuel pump flange that houses the wiring in an epoxy. They weren't soldered very well and they lose connectivity. Sometimes it will be fine, then just shut off, then start again. Eventually it won't at all. ca-cycleworks makes a replacement or you can dig into it and re-solder and hope for the best. I'm not certain it's the problem but it certainly sounds like it.
http://ca-cycleworks.com/fwires.html
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:27 AM

Good advice provided I think! A dried/cracked hose can kill the vacuum and you run out of gas. When starting again the fuel pump does it's job but again it can lose gas quickly. So check all those hoses and plugs and look for wet spots / leaking fuel. Similarly, listen for the vacuum "whoosh" when popping the gas cap. The breather or other hoses can block quite easily and then gas is again blocked in your system. Try a little ride with the cap ajar and best with just a little in the tank.

Good luck!
kmn5 likes this.

2009 1100S Termi slip-ons, hi-comp pistons
2012 M796 (Tree'd)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys,
I got some more info. I finally had some time to test the bike again.

Once again it started fine when cold from sitting for a week, started like it was brand new.
Take it on the road and sure enough once it's warmed up, like ~6 min. The bikes starts to act up.

Luckily today I was able to restart it after it stalled. (would stall out every 2 minutes)
but it was a bit lumpy in the revs.
Also it the RPM would occasionally surge
So I would be riding along at 35mph and the rpm would surge 1-2,000 higher. It was a bit scary.

Some of the local guys I ride with thought it might:
1) vacuum leak (as Ned673 said)
2) Check the boots and the seals on the throttle bodies
3) TPS - someone suggest it be reset (thought did not elaborate on how to do it)
4) Temp sensor
5) one nearby bike mechanic thought it could be the ECU, but he did not want to work on my bike as he does not have the diagnostic tools for a Ducati
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmn5 View Post
Some of the local guys I ride with thought it might:
1) vacuum leak (as Ned673 said)
2) Check the boots and the seals on the throttle bodies
3) TPS - someone suggest it be reset (thought did not elaborate on how to do it)
4) Temp sensor
5) one nearby bike mechanic thought it could be the ECU, but he did not want to work on my bike as he does not have the diagnostic tools for a Ducati
A quick way to check the vacuum leak is to use some "smoke" around the engine and see if its getting sucked in anywhere other then the intake.

Use an multimeter on the temp sensor to see what the resistance is, that could be the issue, as it seems to happen when the bike is at operating temp.

TPS can be reset with Melcodiag program (need to get the cables and download the program) or need a Ducati "tool" owner to reset it.

I am leaning toward a bad TPS or vacuum leak as your getting a surging in power, which is telling the ECU to inject more fuel due to incorrect throttle input (ie sensor malfunction) or vacuum leak as its letting more air in then the engine surges or even shuts off.
Ned673 and kmn5 like this.

2019 M1200R
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

on a side thought.
Since the problem only happens when warm it's during the close loop operation of the ECU.

If I disconnect the O2 sensor, it should force the ECU into open loop, right?

At this point I don't care about good fuel mileage, I just want to get it running and get the bike home
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:46 PM

Good options from TjHunter there. You should be able to go a bit further with your diagnosis before spending with the mechanic. Did you try with the gas cap ajar?

How long have you owned/ridden the bike? Some new owners coming from other brand bikes don't give their twins enough rpm, you really want to use its mid-range. Is it doing this surge when under mild acceleration/load such as 2nd gear 20-60mph? Does it surge only at higher revs?

And the service history? When was your last valve check? Though it does sound more like a problem than a maintenance gap...

Make sure you are doing some searching on this forum. Most of these topics have been discussed in some form here over the last decade. Keep us posted

2009 1100S Termi slip-ons, hi-comp pistons
2012 M796 (Tree'd)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode