03 620 monster electrical failure- HELP! - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

03 620 monster electrical failure- HELP!

Just checking to make sure i'm not missing something global/ easy.

yesterday on my ride home, i looked down and saw that nothing on the cluster was working. it ran fine until i turned it off, then nothing. upon closer listening, when i turn the key to "ON" i hear the fuel pump run, but nothing else. i took the cluster off and looked for broken wires, bad solder joints, etc. but nothing was obvious.

anything easy i can try to before i get it towed to the shop?

thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:11 PM

Garage
Can't be specific, not enough info, but it's a matter of trouble shooting. Does sound like a relay issue, if it is faulty, it will hold the connection ie. bike still runs, but when turned off, it can't reconnect.

1. check battery, is it fully charged?
2. check battery connections, are they clean and tight
3. check all fuses with new ones if possible.
4. Does the bike crank over?

Also I don't have a 620, but there are 2 small relays next to battery, on other Ducati's I've had they are the same. Try swapping them after removing and cleaning connections. Relays should give a little click when on, if in doubt have them checked and/or replaced. From memory, one works fuel pump and other things, the other has to do with instrument cluster, ignition etc. Swapping them may get your dash to work. Then you know one is bad.

Electrical problems can be difficult to find unless you have testing tools.

hope this helps,
Ron.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkman View Post
Just checking to make sure i'm not missing something global/ easy.

yesterday on my ride home, i looked down and saw that nothing on the cluster was working. it ran fine until i turned it off, then nothing. upon closer listening, when i turn the key to "ON" i hear the fuel pump run, but nothing else. i took the cluster off and looked for broken wires, bad solder joints, etc. but nothing was obvious.

anything easy i can try to before i get it towed to the shop?

thanks in advance!!

I own also own an '03 620 (great choice!)
I once had electrical issues similar to yours and worked hard to troubleshoot everything...
Turns out the wiring near the voltage regulator was getting really hot and had melted through just enough to start causing shorts and a hectic/freaked out display.
Check the voltage regulator (under the seat, the gray metal thing with all the fins) and all the wiring that leads from it. (Some are covered, so be especially thorough)
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode