Intro - M695 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Intro - M695

Hi everyone,

Just want to introduce myself here. I picked up a 2008 Monster 695 a few weeks back. I'm not new to two wheels but this is my first motorcycle. I spent the last two years switching between my fathers Suzuki GT550 and Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo. Plus lots of years riding xc and dh mountain and bikes along with road cycling. So you can say I finally bit the bullet. Onto some pics

I also have a couple questions. I read some old topics about these bikes running on the lean side and exhaust popping on deceleration. Undoubtably I am dealing with this and suffering some hesitation under 4k RPM. I read some suggest unplugging the o2 sensor while others did the FatDuc connector. Is there any negative to unplugging the o2 sensor vs spending $80 on the FatDuc connector? For shits, I disconnected the o2 sensor today and went for a ride. The popping was gone and much smoother under 4k. The butt dyno also thinks it pulls harder.

Secondly, my 6'1'' self feels a bit cramped with the low seat. Whats the best place to source an s2r seat and red seat cowl? Or should I just shoot for a Corbin/Sargent seat??

And last question, I weigh about 220lbs. This bike is a indefinitely under sprung for my weight. I'm considering changing the springs over the winter for ones that suit me. Being this is my first bike, I don't know where to look or who manufactures aftermarket springs for the fork and rear shock.

Last edited by GinTonic; 11-14-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 09:20 PM

Garage
Welcome to the tribe!

If you can handle that 750 turbo, you'll love the 695. These bikes do run lean, you can go broke band-aiding the issue, or just bite the bullet and have the ecu reflashed. As for the seat, check eBay, they pop up for around $100, any one from 01 to 08 are the same. As a 6'0" 230# rider, I can tell you you're correct in the bike being under-sprung, these things are sprung for 160# Itallian teenagers. Go to Race Tech's site and you can plug in your weight and the bikes and get a spring recommendation. I would consider swapping the rear shock for one off a SBK. Both the 748/916 and 749/999 units will work if you relocate the voltage regulator which you should do anyway. If's fully adjustable and can be re-built, the stock unit is cannot.

These things are an absolute hoot when setup correctly. Check out my thread below this one for my build over the last two years. A bunch of the images have been corrupted, but PM me and I can shoot them to you or if you have any questons.

Peace!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info B. I'm trying to not spend too much on it at the moment. I'd love to change the suspension but I just don't see the benefit of having adjustable compression damping for the riding we do here. Changing the spring rates will suffice for now. Same with getting the ECU tuned or replaced. Just not something I'm planning for which is why I was asking worst case scenario of having the o2 sensor disconnected besides the check engine light. Most of what I searched, most seem happy with the fatduc manipulator but is it necessary vs having the o2 disconnected? I understand not every bike is the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 06:54 PM

Garage
The main advantage on swapping the shock is the fact that the fact that it can be rebuilt. The stock one is probably shot. Spring will help, but only so much. 749 shocks go for short money on eBay, and you can relocate the regulator for $25 if you buy the kit and for free if you have some fabrication skills.

Good luck.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I can assure you that it's not shot but thank you for the baseless opinion. As said I'm not looking to spend much money into this bike regardless of how inexpensive I can get a shock through eBay. A proper rebuild is $300-$400.

Could someone provide some info regarding the o2 sensor?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Few other pics of some of the bikes under the roof. We have a few other project bikes but those are not pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204_1479263729647.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	199554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7172_1479263906972.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	199562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5114_1479263962638.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	199570  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 12:50 AM

Love the vintage bikes. Very nice collection
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Intro - M695

Oh boy, where do I start with an update. This thread is almost three years old. So much has happened with this bike that I never thought I'd go this far.

This bike has been a total hoot to own and ride. I can't remember a bike I enjoyed riding as much as this 695. Never did I feel like it was underpowered. I think Ducati designed a really great bike and that doesn't just come from me. It comes from everyone who had the opportunity to spend time on my bike.

I guess bullet points are most effective for a timeline.

+ October 2016- August 2017 - The bike ran flawlessly during these months until July when I started having electrical issues. Turned out the stator was fried. Ordered a new stator and rectifier through Ricks and found a copy of a Ducati Race ECU for the 695. Race ECU improved every little hick up with the engine after disabling the o2 sensor. Then come August, I discovered the engine case cracked at the rear frame mounting point. Without much deliberation, I sourced out a used engine case from ebay and bought all the necessary seals, parts, and tools to swap the engine internals into the case I found on ebay. This project took me longer than I expected because of life. Finished the engine rebuild in June 2018.

+ Sept 2017 - Since I was motorcycleless I found an Aprilia Futura for a good price and basically rode that while working on the 695 engine. What a sweet bike, and what a comfy seat! Did a trip up to upstate NY in late Sept 2017 and realized what my Ducati lacked - proper wind protection.

+ June 2018 - Engine rebuild completed.

Last edited by GinTonic; 07-08-2019 at 10:39 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

+ Sept 2018 - Attended my first track day event - What a blast!!! Started in the beginner class. The two coaches who I chased the entire day we're shocked. What the instructors didn't know is that as a teenager between the ages of 14 to 19, I road and raced downhill mountain bikes and that I've been on two wheels since I was 4. In my mountain biking days, I quickly learned that tires are everything and trusting them lets you push boundaries. Anyhow - this even showed me what was lacking on the Ducati. No, it wasn't displacement. The completely undersprung and adjustable-less forks and rear shock that would buckle and wobble the rear end mid turn.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

+ Jan 2019 - April 2019 - I decided to follow Bshinns advice as he put when I made this thread. The whole plan was not to spend a lot of money as I could have sold this bike and bought an S2R1000 but I couldnt find one in red on a red frame. So I splurged on ebay and other vendors:

-749/999 Sachs rear shock
-ST2 front fork(Same as Monster) which needed a complete rebuild
-RaceTech F/R springs for my 230lb ass

As if that wasn't enough, reading how horrible the stock ST2/S2R1000 forks were regarding the compression dampening and the forks needed the seals to be replaced, why not splurge a little more!

-RaceTech Gold Valves
-Anodize fork tubes gold

All the above came close to $800. It was more than I planned on spending but what the hell. May as well kill two birds with one stone while doing all that work. I did all the labor myself with the rebuild except anodizing the fork tubes gold. That I sent to a local anodizing shop and part of why the front fork rebuild to some time.

Then I decided I didn't like the stock rearsets and took a gamble on Ducabike rearsets which really don't have much of an adjustment. Now I'm 6'1". I wasn't completely sold on them after I rode my bike with the the first time. They really make the bike feel as if you're on a sport bike if not worse. Needless to say they were a great purchase. I spent 9 hours on the bike one day and all the issues I had with my legs going numb were gone.

Last edited by GinTonic; 07-08-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode