2013 796 with 800 miles rides rough - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2013 796 with 800 miles rides rough

Just bought a new-to-me 796 with 800 miles and termis. Obviously with that kind of mileage it hasn't been ridden much over the years. The 600 mile service was performed.

Starts up fine, but feels like it has a fuel delivery issue.

Holding throttle at constant RPM yields studders, especially lower- and mid-range.

I understand these machines don't love low RPM to begin with, but based on videos I've watched I think this goes beyond 'they all do that' ...

I have a fuel filter, which I'm going to attempt to install over the holiday. Any other recommendations for troubleshooting?

I've heard the belts can get stiff after sitting for too long but given the service interval on them I feel like they shouldn't need replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:11 PM

Garage
Id suggest a complete service, new belts, fresh fluids everywhere, i run octane boost in my 796, make starting 1000 % better, let see a photo!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:48 PM

Garage
.....seafoam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah I did a half can of seafoam with the first tank. Debating whether to do another or let this tank run dry and change the fuel filter now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:35 AM

Check the motor mounts.

Check the valves.

Check the timing.

Clean the injectors.

Check to make sure both cylinders are getting fuel and fire.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Changed fuel filter this weekend for a remarkable improvement -- still not perfect but went from kind of a nuisance to ride to mostly super fun. I think I might still take it in for a service as local master tech recommended a TPS reset and new belts.

Might tackle the belts myself but haven't gotten a good handle on just how much disassembly of the pullies needs to happen if any. (Can you just skip that section of the manual ... pull old belts off, put new belts on, tension to proper frequency and be on your way? I feel like people on here don't check timing after belt change even though it's recommended.)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:26 AM

People don't check the timing because, if you have the pulley locking tools, everything is held in place. Plus, people mark everything to be sure it's where it was before the belt change. But as far as double-checking to make sure it's finely tuned, yeah no one checks that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Garage
Just curious... did your bike set all that time with ethanol-blended fuel? There might be some corrosion or deterioration in the fuel supply chain.

My '13 sat for a year before I bought it... I know the tank swelled, but in addition to that, it ran like crap until I finally made the switch to non-eth fuel. I would probably continue to run SeaFoam through it for a while, and see if you can source non-eth fuel for it. I have to run at least 90 octane in my 796 or it detonates, too, but don't get carried away... too much octane will make it run like crap.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode