Ever wondered-saddlebags on a 796? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Bub

Ever wondered-saddlebags on a 796?

I got really tired of riding with a backpack loaded to the max with groceries after stopping by the supermarket on the way home from work. Started thinking about soft luggage and bought a tail bag which was ok, but wanted a bit more capacity.

I've had soft saddlebags before (on a GPZ) but of course the problem w/796 and 696 is the high exhausts. Picked up a set of Givi saddlebag mounting brackets from member 1UglyBastard and also a set of Givi EasyBags from zilla. I also tried the Oglio Steath bags and they are awesome, maybe better. I just liked the style of the Italian Givi's.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it can work. Just wanted to share pics if anyone is in a similar situation and wondering how it looks. The entire set-up removes/installs in approx. 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	203722   Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	203730  
philb and Classico Rosso like this.

I wave to everyone on two wheels (unless it's a car).
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:57 PM

Looks great. I'd run that setup all the time if i didn't having to cut through traffic as much as I do. Bags/panniers don't allow me as much agility in tight squeezes.

Love the tires too. I have those for my CB500X. Did you have to mod the rear mud guard or front tire fender to fit them?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:02 PM

Nice, now show me what it can be done on a 1200 as there's no way in hell i'm willing to spend almost 1000 for the DP ones
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:49 AM

Garage
You got a pic of the Oglios?

I was thinking of some solution for my 796, best thing I've come up with is a MultiStrada. Your idea is a bit cheaper.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Bub

The tires fit the fender/hugger but I do have to be careful if chunks of gravel get stuck in the knobs. The TKC 80's seem to be the same dia. as Pirellis, so yeah the front is pretty close.

Sorry, no pics with the Oglio's. The straps fit better onto the brackets than the Easybags. I had to fuss with the Easybag straps and improvise a bit. Since I got the brackets used, I'm in to the entire set-up w/bags for $229. If going with this bracket arrangement be aware that there are two components needed: the T681 and also the 7400KIT. And then the bags.

I wave to everyone on two wheels (unless it's a car).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
The tires fit the fender/hugger but I do have to be careful if chunks of gravel get stuck in the knobs. The TKC 80's seem to be the same dia. as Pirellis, so yeah the front is pretty close.

Sorry, no pics with the Oglio's. The straps fit better onto the brackets than the Easybags. I had to fuss with the Easybag straps and improvise a bit. Since I got the brackets used, I'm in to the entire set-up w/bags for $229. If going with this bracket arrangement be aware that there are two components needed: the T681 and also the 7400KIT. And then the bags.
I wondered about the knobs... and the open belts. You ever get a chunk-a-munk in the exposed timing belts?

Thanks for the info on the Oglios...

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Bub

No problems with the open belts - I think ppl have been running this way for a while w/o incident - it's cool to see the machine at work. Harley folk freak out b/c their drive belt is exposed too. I suggest not to wear boxers and cargo shorts though... Ouch!
Charlie98 likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico Rosso View Post
Nice, now show me what it can be done on a 1200 as there's no way in hell i'm willing to spend almost 1000 for the DP ones
I picked up a set of these new off ebay from Italy for 350$ shipped for my 821.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...source=product
Rosso Classico likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 AM

Garage
I have Olgio throwovers for my 796 on long trips. I solved the exhaust problem initially with the $20 Amy Tracker silicone standoff mod. I have since taken the wraps off the exhaust and use a high temperature silicone baking sheet that I cut a slit in and cut to shape, and thread them through the throwover's strap. They stay nicely between the bags and exhaust. gone many a mile with no issues that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bags on ducati.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	203874  
Charlie98 likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
No problems with the open belts - I think ppl have been running this way for a while w/o incident - it's cool to see the machine at work. Harley folk freak out b/c their drive belt is exposed too. I suggest not to wear boxers and cargo shorts though... Ouch!
common sense left me for a minute, and I was wiping my fairings down with the motor running and the rag almost got caught in the belts, which would have been fatal to the motor. To those who think, "eh, I'll just be extra careful," Don't do it!!

One guy on here sold his Leggero belt covers because he bent a valve doing this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in