Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/)
-   Ducati Monster 796 (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-796/)
-   -   Ever wondered-saddlebags on a 796? (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-796/341370-ever-wondered-saddlebags-796-a.html)

Bub 04-17-2017 05:32 PM

Ever wondered-saddlebags on a 796?

2 Attachment(s)
I got really tired of riding with a backpack loaded to the max with groceries after stopping by the supermarket on the way home from work. Started thinking about soft luggage and bought a tail bag which was ok, but wanted a bit more capacity.

I've had soft saddlebags before (on a GPZ) but of course the problem w/796 and 696 is the high exhausts. Picked up a set of Givi saddlebag mounting brackets from member 1UglyBastard and also a set of Givi EasyBags from zilla. I also tried the Oglio Steath bags and they are awesome, maybe better. I just liked the style of the Italian Givi's.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it can work. Just wanted to share pics if anyone is in a similar situation and wondering how it looks. The entire set-up removes/installs in approx. 15 minutes.

1UglyBastard 04-18-2017 12:57 PM

Looks great. I'd run that setup all the time if i didn't having to cut through traffic as much as I do. Bags/panniers don't allow me as much agility in tight squeezes.

Love the tires too. I have those for my CB500X. Did you have to mod the rear mud guard or front tire fender to fit them?

Rosso Classico 04-18-2017 05:02 PM

Nice, now show me what it can be done on a 1200 as there's no way in hell i'm willing to spend almost 1000 for the DP ones :devil

Charlie98 04-19-2017 08:49 AM

You got a pic of the Oglios?

I was thinking of some solution for my 796, best thing I've come up with is a MultiStrada. Your idea is a bit cheaper.

Bub 04-19-2017 03:27 PM

The tires fit the fender/hugger but I do have to be careful if chunks of gravel get stuck in the knobs. The TKC 80's seem to be the same dia. as Pirellis, so yeah the front is pretty close.

Sorry, no pics with the Oglio's. The straps fit better onto the brackets than the Easybags. I had to fuss with the Easybag straps and improvise a bit. Since I got the brackets used, I'm in to the entire set-up w/bags for $229. If going with this bracket arrangement be aware that there are two components needed: the T681 and also the 7400KIT. And then the bags.

Charlie98 04-19-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bub (Post 3099570)
The tires fit the fender/hugger but I do have to be careful if chunks of gravel get stuck in the knobs. The TKC 80's seem to be the same dia. as Pirellis, so yeah the front is pretty close.

Sorry, no pics with the Oglio's. The straps fit better onto the brackets than the Easybags. I had to fuss with the Easybag straps and improvise a bit. Since I got the brackets used, I'm in to the entire set-up w/bags for $229. If going with this bracket arrangement be aware that there are two components needed: the T681 and also the 7400KIT. And then the bags.

I wondered about the knobs... and the open belts. You ever get a chunk-a-munk in the exposed timing belts?

Thanks for the info on the Oglios...

Bub 04-19-2017 06:23 PM

No problems with the open belts - I think ppl have been running this way for a while w/o incident - it's cool to see the machine at work. Harley folk freak out b/c their drive belt is exposed too. I suggest not to wear boxers and cargo shorts though... Ouch!

terryth 04-20-2017 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classico Rosso (Post 3099314)
Nice, now show me what it can be done on a 1200 as there's no way in hell i'm willing to spend almost 1000 for the DP ones :devil

I picked up a set of these new off ebay from Italy for 350$ shipped for my 821.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...source=product

savaship 04-20-2017 08:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have Olgio throwovers for my 796 on long trips. I solved the exhaust problem initially with the $20 Amy Tracker silicone standoff mod. I have since taken the wraps off the exhaust and use a high temperature silicone baking sheet that I cut a slit in and cut to shape, and thread them through the throwover's strap. They stay nicely between the bags and exhaust. gone many a mile with no issues that way.

1UglyBastard 04-20-2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bub (Post 3099602)
No problems with the open belts - I think ppl have been running this way for a while w/o incident - it's cool to see the machine at work. Harley folk freak out b/c their drive belt is exposed too. I suggest not to wear boxers and cargo shorts though... Ouch!

common sense left me for a minute, and I was wiping my fairings down with the motor running and the rag almost got caught in the belts, which would have been fatal to the motor. To those who think, "eh, I'll just be extra careful," Don't do it!!

One guy on here sold his Leggero belt covers because he bent a valve doing this.