Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Question about Duc.EE for 2014 796 ABS

12K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Zoomie 
#1 ·
How simple is the install and does it remove this black piece of plastic?

I am new to the Ducati world.

Thanks Vic

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's just a cover. Install literally takes 30 seconds. It's just a small box that plugs into where the exhaust flapper motor plugs into the bikes harness. If you're wanting to get rid of the entire pipe assembly u need to find a 696 mod pipe since they didn't come with the flapper.

#4 ·
I've seen a couple places where it said the 796 doesn't have the butterfly valve, but I hear the servo motor, so it does right? I just got mine. 2014, and ultimately looking to help the twitchy throttle response. Does the Duc EE help that, and or what other benefits does it have?

#5 ·
It does. Look at the 696's. They dont have it and their midpipe is just a straight pipe. The 796's and 1100's do. It closes at high rpm's to limit noise to meet local regulations. The servo eliminator tool gives someone the ability to remove the servo without getting an error or check engine light. Removing the servo eliminates weight, makes the bike louder and in theory increases performance because there is better flow at high rpm. I could be mistaken but i dont think the flapper is closed at lower rpms in order to decrease unwanted back pressure from having too much flow.

#9 ·
IraceDM, PM sent.

#10 ·
How would I go about removing the exhaust valve on my 796? I have the carbon Termi slip-ons installed (I think these came with a new ECU as well?). Do I need to do an ECU flash or buy a Duc.EE? Any hardware need to be removed or just a software change? What benefits would I receive from doing this? Thanks all for the help!!

#11 ·
You've got a couple of options. You can remove the cable from the valve which will keep the valve open. From what I've read, this will not throw a CEL. You can also pick up a Duc.EE and plug it into the servo harness. This will keep the valve open and trick the bike into thinking the servo still works correctly and keep the CEL from popping up. Or you can buy a midpipe from a 696 to remove the valve entirely and add the Duc.EE to keep the CEL off.

#14 ·
Here are the instructions from their website. Really straight forward.

Attachments

#16 ·
Thanks for your input guys! I simply pulled the cable under that piece of plastic, leaves the servo and such, but leaves the butterfly in the open position as well. This alone gave me the benefits I was looking for from this mod - little smoother, little louder. I just added the 14 tooth sprocket this weekend as well which, I concur, was far more beneficial and impactful :)

#18 ·
Wanted to add to this older thread - others may be currently interested in this mod, as I was. Installed on my 2013 796 ABS, took about ten minutes.
Removed cable to the flapper as well as the underseat servo. Completely plug n play with the Duc.EE from Vizi-Tec. Small and easy to find a spot for it.

The bike has run fine since new. It could be my imagination but now seems to run smoother in the 4K to 5K rpm range. Before the mod 4K was the sweet spot for cruising, now it is happy to 5K.

The sound quality is different down low as well, hard to put my finger on it but somehow better...

#19 ·
Quick question regarding longer term useage/lifespan of this module.
I've had mine now for 4yrs+ and recently its started playing up. In the past it would throw the occasional CEL with the exhaust valve code, I would have to unplug the module, replug it in and its good again for 12months+. Now the last couple weeks its been popping up about 7/10 times. I've removed, checked the pins and plugs, replugged, wiggled wires, re-routed the module and wiring but it seems to be unaffected by this.
I have found that I have to turn the bike off then turn on and wait if the CEL turns off, If not then turn key off, turn on and check again.

Anyone have any ideas about this or heard of anything similar?

#20 ·
Mik, not sure what brand your part is, but Bernard over at Vizi-Tec has been super helpful with my duc.ee as well as my brake light flasher. He's a Ducati guy and might have some thoughts. Keep us posted, throwing codes is a nightmare you would like to wake up from.

#21 ·
Sorry about the late reply Bub, My brand is Duc.ee. I've emailed the sales@Vizi-tec email on the 22/feb with no reply as yet. Its only throwing the exhaust valve code.

#23 ·
I've got the Duc-ee on my '13 796 and haven't had any problems with mine in over 10K miles. It sounds like the unit is going bad, or there is an issue in the wiring harness somewhere. I would also check the plug (where the Duc-ee plugs in at) for pulled or kinked wires. Repeated handling may have pulled one of the wires out of the terminal.

#24 ·
I got sent down the flapper removal mod trail somewhat unwillingly. While riding my 796 developed a god-awful grinding clattering noise at idle that sounded like expensive engine death. LUCKILY it was this POS component in the exhaust! Removed the O2 sensor (requires lifting the tank) took of the rear header and exhaust and was able to get the screws out of the lower header pipe that had fallen down there and get the midpipe with the failed, rattly flapper valve out. I got lucky on ebay and scored a 696 midpipe for a good price from a seller who was so worried about making sure I got the specific part I wanted that he sent the entire exhaust (anybody need headers?). Everything fits per factory, including the flanges on the headers and midpipe and buttoned back up. The exhaust servo is still there, but i disconnected the cable and get no codes. I have a Duc.EE sitting waiting to be installed just for my OCD brain to know that the useless hardware is off the bike.

TL/DR: Exhaust valve failed, replaced with 696 parts, disconnected valve from the servo; no codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.