prep for Cornerspeed track school - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

prep for Cornerspeed track school

So I'm considering doing the Cornerspeed Track School out at Virginia International Raceway in June. I see the gear requirements and the requirements for setting up the bike, but my question is what else should I think about doing to my 796 to make sure it's good to go for the track? I'm going to get a new set of tires between now and then -- for a sport or race compound tire that is still practical for the street, any recommendations? Consider my bike to basically be stock -- it's not stock, but I haven't done anything to suspension or ergonomics. Are the stock rear sets what you would consider track-worthy? Stock bars?

Current mods are V&H pipes, Rexxer flash, K&N filter, speedymoto frame and axle sliders, 14T front sprocket, throttle tamer, and then various cosmetics item, but nothing of significance for the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

No opinions? Surely someone has taken their 796 to the track and thought "man I wish I would have had this" after (you're not allowed to say "a Superbike"). I found Coolieman's old video of his stock 796 at the track, and he seems to have had a good time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 12:45 PM

I have, I ran Bridgestone BT016, they held up great. It was my first event ever, I ran at NJMP, Thunderbolt track. I have a 2011 796 ABS. I had a blast, best experience of my life! I would get a set of cheep one-piece leathers, gauntlet gloves, decent sport-bike style boots, and a spine guard. I got my leathers on clearance from motosport.com. They have great prices for everything. Deff bring some water and a ez-up tent. Hit up NESBA.com they have a good list for preparing for a track day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 05:56 PM

It depends. For one track day, especially if it's your first, the stock bike should do ok. The kickstand may drag if you really put it on it's side, but that's about all.

If you decide to continue, then it will start to add up. I've got about 15 days or so on mine, and after the first couple, I upgraded the suspension (new forks/internals and shock), brakes, raised it to the 1100 height, installed OEM Streetfighter bars. Huge difference. It all depends really on how hard you will be pushing the bike. Suspension and brakes never hurt, so I would say it's always a good place to start, especially on the Monster, I would go suspension before anything.

The bike is well balanced and has good geometry and is very stable mid-corner (like many Ducs), especially up to medium speeds, though make sure you get your sag/rebound on the stock shock set properly by someone you trust. If you're not sure, it's well worth the $40 or whatever to get the local track suspension provider to do a baseline setup for you. Good/fresh tires and you should be all set.

Ducati Monster 796 ABS - Best colour
Trackday upgrade pack:
-Streetfighter bars, radial brake and clutch masters
-Braking SK front rotors
-Ohlins DU737 / 1100 Showa forks w/Racetech .85 springs, Ohlins FPK valving & K-Tech comp needles
-S4R rearsets / LSL racing pegs
-SC Project Carbon Slip-Ons, Carbon belt covers

Last edited by mszilves; 04-28-2014 at 06:02 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

All good advice! My work schedule in May and June isn't looking great, and Cornerspeed doesn't do another school after June until October. So I'm looking into the California Superbike School out at VIR in August. It seems to be pretty well reviewed on the forums from what I've seen. I could do two consecutive days and get Levels 1 and 2 for under $1K if I ride my own bike, which I think I will. I just pulled the trigger on a set of 2010 848 forks, so I'm going to start piecing together the kit to do the SBK fork conversion. I've read a lot on the forums here about that, and about the 848 forks and how they're sprung and valved, but I think I'll wait on getting them resprung and revalved until after I get them on the track and see if I'm happy with them or not (I'm about 185 without gear).

Has anyone that follows this 796 forum done the SBK fork swap? Lessons learned? Now that I have the 848 forks, I know I need the lower triple shims to go from 54 down to 53 mm, I need to get my top triple bored out to 53, I need either 5 mm spacers for the rotors or just get a set of 848 rotors with the 15 mm offset, and I need an 848 axle. And I think that's it, but hopefully I'm not missing something. I'm loosely planning on going with zero-rise clip-ons on the top of the triple right now, but I'm not sure if I'll wind up liking it or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode