body kit or paint options - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

body kit or paint options

In searching the forum I've seen two main options for body kits to restyle Monsters: Radical Ducati (no longer exists) and Paolo Tesio (seems to only be for older, pre-2009 Monsters, not to mention he doesn't have a storefront, you just have to contact him through his facebook account). Anyone have any other slick ideas for customizing my 796?

My left side tank cover and seat cowl are scratched, and short of spending $600 on new OEM diamond black silk parts, I might as well consider just doing something custom. Could I live with the scratches? Yeah. But it's annoying, and I hate it. Anyone done a full custom paint job on their bike? If yes, what did that run you for the front fender, tank covers, and seat cowl? I've considered the Monster Art kits, but IMO, none of them look that great with the red frame. Some of them look alright, but I'm not in love with any of them, and for the money, I might as well make it something I love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 04:36 PM

Don't know how bad your plastics are but I know a lot of guys (On older bikes) will use plasti dip these days. Probably pretty easy to pull all your plastics, put several coats on and maybe use a gloss coat over top of it. I think plasti dip sells it too. I did a helmet once and was surprised how good it came out. They use it on cars, etc. The longer you let it dry too, the harder it becomes. And the biggest perk is that you can just peel it off when you don't want it anymore. That is the most fun part of all. I would probably only do it to hold me over if I really damaged anything though..until I got new plastics. Comes in some different colors now too. you would probably only need two cans to do it at $5.95/can at homedepot. Just a thought, although I'd probably just get some new plastics. Keep an eye online. A lot of times people sell them when they get custom stuff.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:41 PM

Ebay has kits for all the pastic with 10 or so different paint schemes.
no idea of the quality, but kinda cool to know for 600 bucks you could make you bike look completely different in an afternoon.

2013 Monster 796 abs
Arrow Dark slipon
Comp Werks fender elinator

14 tooth front sprocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

The plastics are probably repairable with some heavy sanding and perhaps even a bit of filler on the chip in the tank, but with the amount of prep work for paint they would take just to put them back to diamond black silk, pfsh, forget it. It would probably be cheaper just to buy new OEM painted pieces. The plasti-dip idea is interesting. I would probably use that as a temporary solution if I was in a pinch, but I think I'm leaning more towards the custom idea.

I think the carbon-fiber everything trend is fading a bit, but Houston Superbikes does sell a good looking set of tank covers. Maybe slapping these on there with a Ducati Retro logo would look good; I think I would still want a coat of clearcoat over the top of the sticker though, and I don't know how practical it is to just shoot a new coat of clear over a clear-coated carbon fiber piece, if it would require significant prep work or not. It probably wouldn't be super difficult to get a template cutout of the sticker made to paint it on instead of a decal though.

Either way, anyone ever painted carbon fiber? On a finished, clear-coated piece like these, what kind of prep would be required to stencil on a retro ducati logo and then shoot clearcoat over it?

http://houstonsuperbikes.com/i-85801...nk-covers.html

I've seen all the ebay kits -- some are interesting, but they're so cheap it makes me wonder what the quality is. Ultimately, considering the broken english used on the ebay pages and the obvious fact they are coming out of China, I'd be afraid to get these home, find out they're crap, and then it's impossible or totally impractical to get a refund.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 PM

I think those cheap kits are priced about right, in typical Ducati fashion, it's their pieces that are way overpriced. After all they are just molded plastic parts.

I thought about picking up a set to do some custom paint work.

2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM

I've contemplated ordering a set of the black ebay set. My girl is all red and looks sharp but i do like the idea of swapping them. And the black with red frame looks sharp IMO. What I wanted originally but they were not available. I'm not a big fan of the carbon fiber myself. Straight black looks nicer to me. Let us know what you do. The tank cover is a good idea. I just prefer the full nakedness of the tank being fully exposed myself.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah my primary option is to find a left side tank cover and seat cowl some time here in the classifieds, but they come up very rarely. I don't know if I can stand to wait too long though. I like the black and red color scheme honestly, though I do sometimes wish for a clear-coated finish instead of matte.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Well I solved my quandary. The sweet ass custom paint job Luigionassis had on his 1100 is on the way here from Oz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in