Voltage Regulator Died Again - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Voltage Regulator Died Again

Last Fall my voltage regulator died and left me stranded. I installed an OEM regulator I bought used on eBay. It worked fine until today. 30 mile ride home. 4 miles away from home my check engine light came on, on the expressway. 1 mile from home the bike lost a lot of power and sounded very loud through the air box. 100 feet from home the bike died and I coasted right into my garage. Got lucky this time but I'm getting tired of fixing my Monster.

2010 Monster 696, 1981 Yamaha DT175, 1979 Yamaha XT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Ask yourself, did you really fix it by installing a used voltage R/R that has a known issue for overheating and burning out? Should you ask yourself if you bought a worn out part and swapped it in place for a dead R/R?

The real answer is buy a Mosfet unit from a Panigale and wire adapter kit.

I burned out the unit on my Paul Smart and swapped the R/R from my S4RS into it. Of course it didn't take long for the Sport Classic to chew through that used R/R, especially being installed under a seat with no air flow. I purchased a Mosfet unit with a harness adapter (as I don't wish to make permanent wiring changes on that collectable bike) and the unit has been trouble free. I also purchased a second set up and replaced the one on the S4RS I had stolen from myself.

You can purchase kits from a few online retailers. One is a poorly designed website coming from a guy's garage but the parts harness was perfect and he had a great price on the R/R. I can look it up if you need.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

When I bought the used regulator, it was off a crashed Monster and was OEM. I didn't know the OEM regulators were known to burn out. Regulators typically last the life of a vehicle, I guess not with Ducati's. I looked up the Mosfet regulators and will try one of those. I found a few retailers online.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post
Ask yourself, did you really fix it by installing a used voltage R/R that has a known issue for overheating and burning out? Should you ask yourself if you bought a worn out part and swapped it in place for a dead R/R?

The real answer is buy a Mosfet unit from a Panigale and wire adapter kit.

I burned out the unit on my Paul Smart and swapped the R/R from my S4RS into it. Of course it didn't take long for the Sport Classic to chew through that used R/R, especially being installed under a seat with no air flow. I purchased a Mosfet unit with a harness adapter (as I don't wish to make permanent wiring changes on that collectable bike) and the unit has been trouble free. I also purchased a second set up and replaced the one on the S4RS I had stolen from myself.

You can purchase kits from a few online retailers. One is a poorly designed website coming from a guy's garage but the parts harness was perfect and he had a great price on the R/R. I can look it up if you need.
I believe the guy you are talking about is Jack at roadstercycle.com. Many other forums mention him. I bought the Shindengen FH020AA with the Triumph harness from roadstercycle. Looks like a direct fit for my M696.

Also, I did talk to my local Ducti dealer. He believes Ducati updated the voltage regulators around 2012. I'm not sure if that means if I buy a replacement for my 2010 M696 that I'll get the updated version. They do come with 1 year warranty ONLY if dealer installed. So I went with the Mosfet version from roadstercycle. Should be good and it's $35 less in cost.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Just know it wasn't only Ducati. Basically every manufacturer bought into this R/R and stator set only to have them burn up from around 2000-2012 or so. There is a reason Roadster is in business selling only R/R stuff and has so many adapter kits. There are literally hundreds of threads on here in regards to replacing this unit and which Shindgren mosfet unit to purchase. There used to be a handy sticky for what parts swap for other parts and this was at the top of that list.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:28 AM

marvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot048 View Post
Last Fall my voltage regulator died and left me stranded. I installed an OEM regulator I bought used on eBay. It worked fine until today. 30 mile ride home. 4 miles away from home my check engine light came on, on the expressway. 1 mile from home the bike lost a lot of power and sounded very loud through the air box. 100 feet from home the bike died and I coasted right into my garage. Got lucky this time but I'm getting tired of fixing my Monster.
As stated elsewhere. Buy a mosfet regulator. There are options other than Ducati which are much cheaper. Heat is what destroys non mosfet regulators. When the battery gets charged it transfers all of the energy into heat. Your regulator should be mounted using heat transfer compound on the backside of it. Preferably mounted on some sort of heatsink or other than OEM location (where it can get some air flow)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:25 PM

Garage
Standard MOSFET regulator slightly reduces heat dissipation, but still needs decent cooling. Most of them are still shunt-type regulators.
I think the old Shindengen FH012AA is this type

Next best step is a regulator that has temperature protection, switches off when too hot, and on when cooled down (you'll ride on battery only for some time).
E.g. Shindengen FH020AA (50Amps) (now also used by Yamaha, Ducati, etc)

Ultimate step is a series-type regulator, much lower heat dissipation. Also the way to go if you fry your stator
Some of them have lower power capabilities, and/or limited max RPM.
E.g. Shindengen SH775 (max 9000 RPM, 35Amps)

Top of the bill is Shindengen SH847 (max 14k RPM, 50Amps), but is expensive, and BIG

Good information to be found at https://www.roadstercycle.com/, also has some nice conversion sets

Oh, a good R/R is not cheap, don't go for the china knock-offs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode