Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/)
-   Ducati Monster 696 (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-696/)
-   -   Dash dies when pushing start in cold weather (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-696/354800-dash-dies-when-pushing-start-cold-weather.html)

Pilot048 03-03-2019 09:28 AM

Dash dies when pushing start in cold weather

I have had this issue for several years on my 2010 Monster 696. If it is cold out, below 40F or so, and it's been sitting for a while, the bike won't start on the first push of the start button. The engine starts to turn for a second, then it dies and the dash gets scrambled then blank. Then on the next push of the start button, it starts up every time. It's annoying because it resets my clock every time. I always have it on a battery tender. I even replaced the battery and still does the same thing. Talked to my Ducati dealer and they never heard of the issue. Maybe my starter is drawing too much current when cold and that initial start for 1 second loosens it up a bit?

n1ke5h 03-05-2019 10:36 AM

I have a 2014 Monster 796, and have had the same issue for the entire time I've had it as well. I went as far as putting in a new Shorai lithium battery and changing the starter cables with a thicker gauge...still happens. I've chalked it up to being one of the unfortunately temperamental quirks of my Italian sexy beast haha. The colder she is, the more times I have to keep trying to wake her up. Sorry I have no fix, but hopefully you won't go and invest in those changes expecting them to fix the startup problem.

caferacermike 03-05-2019 07:29 PM

A weird thing you can try for your issue.

Before hitting the start button turn your key to on, turn on your brights and let them sit for 2 minutes.

That draw will warm up your battery and allow the magic bits to hit your starter with a lot more amperage.

Be wise about doing this if your battery is old and might drain down first.

Pilot048 03-09-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caferacermike (Post 3163068)
A weird thing you can try for your issue. Before hitting the start button turn your key to on, turn on your brights and let them sit for 2 minutes. That draw will warm up your battery and allow the magic bits to hit your starter with a lot more amperage. Be wise about doing this if your battery is old and might drain down first.

I tried your "weird" idea and it worked! I only tried it once though, but will test it a few more times. I left the brights on for just 30sec.

caferacermike 03-09-2019 08:09 PM

I'm old and full of useless knowledge.

Pilot048 04-22-2019 08:47 PM

Update. I had my bike remapped with a Rexxer tune and the cold starting problem went away. It now starts fine when cold. Dash does not go dead anymore on first push of the start button. I did do the O2 sensor delete option. Maybe that has something to do with it?

TL's Monster796 04-25-2019 12:07 PM

I've got at '11 796 and also have this "issue" Usually only the first 1-2 starts of the year; I'll give Mike's HL trick a try next time. Experience wins again!