Advice for New M696 Owner - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
AJZ
Member
 
AJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 33
Garage
Cool Advice for New M696 Owner

Hi All,

Just purchased a new to me M696 with ABS this weekend. Curious if any current M696 owners have any advice or learned lessons that they can provide me? Do's, dont's, cheap recommend upgrades?

About me:
- Have had my M1 for 11 years but never owned a bike prior. Have only ridden a Rebel 250 prior (via MSF course 11 years ago) and a Ninja 250 (friends bike). Otherwise I'm a total novice.
- 30+ years old so not into show boating like I was in my early/mid 20's.
- Planning to only ride the bike in an empty parking lot and/or neighborhood side streets for the first 2 weeks to a month in order to get myself adequated with the bike/weight and throttle.
- I'm 5'10" about 220lbs sitting on the bike I could fully flat foot with knees very slightly bent (this is one of the key reasons I choose this model and the lower cc for a Ducati).
- My bike is bone stock with exception of a very badly done tail chop.
- I have full gear (armored jacket, gloves, boats, helmet)
AJZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Monster4Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Reseda / Los Angeles
Posts: 125
Congrats on the bike. You might consider a refresher riding course.
Monster4Lee is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Bub
Senior Member
 
Bub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Oregon Rain Forest
Posts: 319
If you plan on a lot of city riding, changing the front sprocket from a 15 tooth to a 14 tooth will make it easier to launch. A shop should be able to do it for around $100, or you could do it yourself for $20. Enjoy the bike!

I wave to everyone on two wheels (unless it's a car).
Bub is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
AJZ
Member
 
AJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 33
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster4Lee View Post
Congrats on the bike. You might consider a refresher riding course.
Thank you. I'm going to skip on the refresher course for now. I remember everything verbatim and still have my study manual from the MSF course so I think I'm fine in that aspect. Time will tell though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
If you plan on a lot of city riding, changing the front sprocket from a 15 tooth to a 14 tooth will make it easier to launch. A shop should be able to do it for around $100, or you could do it yourself for $20. Enjoy the bike!
Do you have a link to a specific 14 tooth sprocket/brand that you would recommend? I've also read about a throttle tamer that really helps with launches, any input on if that is useful at all?

Part of me is of the mindset where I should learn to ride the bike as is/at it's most difficult so that I'm more prepped for the worst. The other part of me is like, I've read of people being scared from the pull of this bike a lower speeds so maybe I should just get the items recommended.

I may just tough it out and learn on it stock.
AJZ is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 04:24 PM
Bub
Senior Member
 
Bub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Oregon Rain Forest
Posts: 319
You have a great attitude, stick with stock until you figure out what you do/don't like.
jeosbor1 and AJZ like this.

I wave to everyone on two wheels (unless it's a car).
Bub is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
AJZ
Member
 
AJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 33
Garage
Three questions for you guys (or any current M696 owners)

1. See photo below, the dealer told me after I purchased the bike that it's an ABS model (I doubted them as it doesn't have the inner abs rotor but maybe I'm just an idiot. Can anyone tell from this photo if the bike is abs or non-abs.




2. Is the connector/cable below the tool bag in this photo the bike's OBD connector? Or am I off?



3. My bike has a horribly done fender chop by the previous owner it essentially has no license plate light at the moment so I can't drive at night legally. The wires I'm holding in my fingers, any idea if one of the two connectors could be the license plate adapter? If so, does anyone know what type of connector it's called? I'm trying to mod some license plate light bolts to use but first need to know the connector type I'll need to buy. Also, any idea why someone would put electrical tape over connectors



Final question for now regarding the the fast idle lever I've been turning on the bike with the lever fully engaged, however if I slowly bring it up to disengaged/off after 30-45 seconds I notice the bike will stall. Does any one know how long is good practice for the lever to be kept engaged? I live in LA 60-70 degree weather so am a bit baffled that I have to use it at all since I thought in theory it was only for cold starts.

Many thanks all!

Last edited by AJZ; 10-29-2018 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Reuploaded photos.
AJZ is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 01:10 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJZ View Post
Three questions for you guys (or any current M696 owners)

1. See photo below, the dealer told me after I purchased the bike that it's an ABS model (I doubted them as it doesn't have the inner abs rotor but maybe I'm just an idiot. Can anyone tell from this photo if the bike is abs or non-abs.




2. Is the connector/cable below the tool bag in this photo the bike's OBD connector? Or am I off?



3. My bike has a horribly done fender chop by the previous owner it essentially has no license plate light at the moment so I can't drive at night legally. The wires I'm holding in my fingers, any idea if one of the two connectors could be the license plate adapter? If so, does anyone know what type of connector it's called? I'm trying to mod some license plate light bolts to use but first need to know the connector type I'll need to buy. Also, any idea why someone would put electrical tape over connectors



Final question for now regarding the the fast idle lever I've been turning on the bike with the lever fully engaged, however if I slowly bring it up to disengaged/off after 30-45 seconds I notice the bike will stall. Does any one know how long is good practice for the lever to be kept engaged? I live in LA 60-70 degree weather so am a bit baffled that I have to use it at all since I thought in theory it was only for cold starts.

Many thanks all!
newer owner as well here so my answers might not be 100% accurate.

1.) mines an ABS model as well, and your rear looks identical to mine minus missing the tone ring. that black wire is the ABS sensor line. another way to check is your guage cluster. at the top, the yellow light should be illuminated and says ABS as soon as you turn on the ignition and usually stays on until you get up to 5 mph-ish. scrolling through the A menu (pushing up on left hand controls menu button) should give you the option to disable ABS. that was my 100% telltale sign that mine has ABS.
for the missing tone ring, seems like it just gets bolted onto the rotor so should be an easy fix. ive attached a photo of mine.

2.) If I'm looking at this correctly, you have one connector, where I have three right there. from what I know, my connectors are for diagnostics and DDA. I think one of them might also be the factory ducati battery tender. from what i read, dealers install the universal sae battery tender connector since they knew no one would buy the factory tender. I wonder if there was some differences throughout the years. Mine is a MY2012. What year is yours?

3.) dont have any experience here. my fender eliminator comes in later this week so havent personally messed with any wiring in the rear yet.

4.) fast idle lever. im in orange county and actually use mine a bit. my bike wont stall without it engaged on a cold start, but runs pretty rough. i usually keep mine on for about 3-4 minutes and then take it easy for the first couple miles. i use the digital read out on the dash to modulate the lever. i try to keep my idle under 2k and above 1200 rpm. i will completely disengage the fast idle lever when my idle can stay above 1200.
to make it easy, i will turn the bike on before gearing up.

again, i am a newer owner so some of my information might be off. im sure other people will chime in and point you in the right direction
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181029_225218_1540879806538.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	218854  
AJZ likes this.

Last edited by Fatsooo; 10-30-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Fatsooo is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
AJZ
Member
 
AJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 33
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatsooo View Post
newer owner as well here so my answers might not be 100% accurate.

1.) mines an ABS model as well, and your rear looks identical to mine minus missing the tone ring. that black wire is the ABS sensor line. another way to check is your guage cluster. at the top, the yellow light should be illuminated and says ABS as soon as you turn on the ignition and usually stays on until you get up to 5 mph-ish. scrolling through the A menu (pushing up on left hand controls menu button) should give you the option to disable ABS. that was my 100% telltale sign that mine has ABS.
for the missing tone ring, seems like it just gets bolted onto the rotor so should be an easy fix. I've attached a photo of mine.

2.) If I'm looking at this correctly, you have one connector, where I have three right there. from what I know, my connectors are for diagnostics and DDA. I think one of them might also be the factory ducati battery tender. from what i read, dealers install the universal sae battery tender connector since they knew no one would buy the factory tender. I wonder if there was some differences throughout the years. Mine is a MY2012. What year is yours?

3.) dont have any experience here. my fender eliminator comes in later this week so havent personally messed with any wiring in the rear yet.

4.) fast idle lever. im in orange county and actually use mine a bit. my bike wont stall without it engaged on a cold start, but runs pretty rough. i usually keep mine on for about 3-4 minutes and then take it easy for the first couple miles. i use the digital read out on the dash to modulate the lever. i try to keep my idle under 2k and above 1200 rpm. i will completely disengage the fast idle lever when my idle can stay above 1200.
to make it easy, i will turn the bike on before gearing up.

again, i am a newer owner so some of my information might be off. im sure other people will chime in and point you in the right direction
Thank you for the replies. Based on your photo, I think mine is not an ABS model. Your rear rotor has the notches on the inner panel which tells me yours is 100% abs. Regarding lights mine just has the 3 red rev limiter lights at the top of my LCD, no yellow light. That answers that question, not sure why my dealer thought it was ABS (probably just trying to up sell me even though I was already sold on the bike at that point lol) I think the wire you are seeing on mine is not for ABS but for the speedo guage sensor. I could be wrong though.

Regarding the connectors, I do have an SAE battery tender connector under my tank on resting on one of the frame spots. I believe this was installed by the original owner or the dealer I purchased it from. I'm assuming now that the connector I have is for the DDA in image #2. i.e ducati's version of OBD. That's my guess at this point.

I do have two other connectors wrapped in electrical tape as you can see in image #3. I'm assuming one is for my license plate light and the other is something else (not sure what) I'm just not sure why in the world any one would wrap a connector in electrical tape. Open wire I get, but a connector confuses me it's like a double negative. Still curious to know if anyone knows what type of connector type/cap I need to purchase to wire an aftermarket license plate light into it without spicing any wire. I.e. a plug and play wiring solution.

Regarding the idle lever, that info helps me tremendously! Thank you so much! 3-4 minutes seems like what I have been doing wrong. I only gave it 30-45 seconds prior. Going forward I'll attempt your RPM gauge/time recommendation and see if it helps.

I greatly appreciate your reply, even as a new rider, as it's pointed me in the right direction with some of these. Also as a side note it seems we live within 60 miles or so of each other. If you ever want to meet up and go for a ride or a coffee (maybe in a month or so when I've gotten more comfortable) message me! Btw mine is a 2011

Thank again!

Last edited by AJZ; 10-30-2018 at 01:30 PM.
AJZ is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
AJZ
Member
 
AJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 33
Garage
I have one additional question in addition to what I already asked. My monster seems to have adjustable levers (They have a round cylinder on each of them with the numbers 1-4). Yet I don't see these mentioned anywhere in the manual. Here's a photo of what the levers look like on the clutch and brake side:

Is adjusting the lever distance on this bike as simple as rotating that cylinder to a different number or is that adjustment for something else? or would I need to unscrew something else?

And to adjust the gear change pedal's lock-nuts does anyone know the wrench sizes needed? The manual doesn't seat it but I'm guessing a 10mm?

Last edited by AJZ; 10-30-2018 at 04:41 PM.
AJZ is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Monster4Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Reseda / Los Angeles
Posts: 125
Rotating the numbered dial should move the lever and adjust the reach of it. Should be enough difference to see when you rotate it.
Yes, the inner ring with the notches is for ABS. You should see on on the front wheel too, if it has abs.
Ride safe.
Monster4Lee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome