Advice for New M696 Owner - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
AJZ

Garage
Ok so may have answered part of my own question here for #3. I think the taped connectors I have in my hand in the photo are in fact these:

Which I believe are both the license plate bracket wires which connector into the metal connection rods at the bottom of the OEM tail license plate bulb assembly here:

So if all of my suspicions are correct the last two things I need to know, which I'm having trouble finding is which wire is positive and negative (on the rear harness (black or yellow) I'm assuming black is negative but I'd love if anyone else has a more concrete answer. And last thing is does any one know if the wire connector type that I would need to purchase to fit in those slots in the first image above?

Thanks again for any and all answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 03:10 PM

My fender eliminator kit came in yesterday and I installed it so now I can accurately help out here.
You are correct. the yellow and black wires are the license plate lights. Yellow being positive, and black being negative.
I'm a little confused about your question. if youre asking what connectors are needed in order to keep the stock connectors pictured in place, I used a 1/4" male spade connector and it slide right in.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
AJZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatsooo View Post
My fender eliminator kit came in yesterday and I installed it so now I can accurately help out here.
You are correct. the yellow and black wires are the license plate lights. Yellow being positive, and black being negative.
I'm a little confused about your question. if youre asking what connectors are needed in order to keep the stock connectors pictured in place, I used a 1/4" male spade connector and it slide right in.
That's exactly the information I was looking for; 1/4" male spade connector!

Thank you so much. Now to order two of them, I hope they come with heat shrink wrap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
AJZ

Garage
2 new questions.

1. is this wire the 02 sensor like I suspect? If so, shouldn't it be not this close to the muffler (due to possible melting) Seems like it should be routed instead through the plastic cover on the left.

2. Is it normal for the plastic belt hosing/covers/base to warp after a while (see photo for misalignment) or should I chalk this up to a lazy mechanic. (see photo below) Should I be worried at all?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_131748.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	218896   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_131753.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	218898  

Last edited by AJZ; 11-03-2018 at 04:42 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJZ View Post
2 new questions.

1. is this wire the 02 sensor like I suspect? If so, shouldn't it be not this close to the muffler (due to possible melting[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/images/smilies/huh.gif[/IMG]) Seems like it should be routed instead through the plastic cover on the left.

2. Is it normal for the plastic belt hosing/covers/base to warp after a while (see photo for misalignment) or should I chalk this up to a lazy mechanic. (see photo below) Should I be worried at all?
here are some photos from my bike for the o2 sensor routing.

as for the covers, i would take them off and see if you can get it to sit flush and correctly. theyre just covers so it wont hurt the bike or anything if you take them off and put back on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181112_222610_1542090881129.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	218936   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181112_222357_1542090922635.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	218938   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181112_222451_1542090965082.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	218940  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
AJZ

Garage
Thank you so much for the reply. It looks my bike has a broken plastic hook to where the O2 sensor is suppose to be routed. Also, glad to see that your bike has the same foiling near the plastic as mine, I had thought mine was just modded/melted incorrectly.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJZ View Post
Thank you so much for the reply. It looks my bike has a broken plastic hook to where the O2 sensor is suppose to be routed. Also, glad to see that your bike has the same foiling near the plastic as mine, I had thought mine was just modded/melted incorrectly.
Not a problem! Glad the photos helped!

I also have been putting in some thought about your fast idle lever and the fact it stalls. I dont think it should stall. does your bike have the charcoal canister removed?
I know people were reporting issues with start up and once that was removed, it works much better. Mine specifically wasnt having issues, except it being a complete eyesore, but id do some research into that to see if that would help.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
AJZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatsooo View Post
Not a problem! Glad the photos helped!

I also have been putting in some thought about your fast idle lever and the fact it stalls. I dont think it should stall. does your bike have the charcoal canister removed?
I know people were reporting issues with start up and once that was removed, it works much better. Mine specifically wasnt having issues, except it being a complete eyesore, but id do some research into that to see if that would help.
Charcoal canister is still on mine. The only changes that I have seen from stock:

1. Horrible/cheaply done tail chop (still trying to wire license plate light bolts to make it street legal at night lol)
2. Broken 02 hose bracket
3. Misaligned belt covers (I think someone did a timing belt change in a hurry)

Everything else on the bike appears to be completely bone stock (even the tires are original, which isn't a good thing I know).

Waiting 2-3 minutes to gradually decrease rpm/fast idle seems to have solved the stall issue. Prior I was trying to do it all within 30 seconds to 1 minutes flat.

Last edited by AJZ; 11-13-2018 at 05:04 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
AJZ

Garage
For anyone else wondering this is how the 02 sensor cable should be routed stock:

On mine the black tab that holds the wire in seems to have broke at some point. I'm now trying to figure out the name of that entire plastic piece or trying to reroute/zip tie it somewhere else. Unfortunately, I can't find any zip tie anchor points that will reach. I'd be open to plasti-welding a new tab (if that's even a thing, not sure lol).

Last edited by AJZ; 11-14-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode