Commuting mileage on your 696? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Commuting mileage on your 696?

I've had my M696 2011 for about 3 months, and have been really enjoying it.

I just wanted to know what sort of mileage people are getting per tank? Recently my fuel light has been coming on when my trip distance has been sometimes 170km (105miles) upwards.

I'm thinking there might be some factors:

- Initially I wasn't really revving out each much around town until I read a little bit on how you should ride Monsters from other riders. Now I try to sit on at least 4000rpm
- It has Termi exhausts but the CPU hasn't been mapped

This is primarily commuting to and from work where I don't normally go over 80kph - and fairly stop-start.

Anything I should be looking at in terms of something that would be causing this? Or am I just going to have to get used to this now that I upgraded from my old 250 learner bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:09 AM

That's about what my old 696 got. My 1100 light comes on around 92 miles in the city, 108 miles on the highway. I found that their MPG were pretty similar, but they had different exhausts/maps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

That seems very short to me. How big is the tank on that?
The 696 ought to get pretty close to 50 mpg, so unless it has a 2-gallon tank, it should go a lot further per tank than that.

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:07 AM

My old 696 would get upper 30s city, low to mid 40s highway. Tank is about 3.5 gallons.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Cross View Post
I've had my M696 2011 for about 3 months, and have been really enjoying it.

I just wanted to know what sort of mileage people are getting per tank? Recently my fuel light has been coming on when my trip distance has been sometimes 170km (105miles) upwards.

I'm thinking there might be some factors:

- Initially I wasn't really revving out each much around town until I read a little bit on how you should ride Monsters from other riders. Now I try to sit on at least 4000rpm
- It has Termi exhausts but the CPU hasn't been mapped

This is primarily commuting to and from work where I don't normally go over 80kph - and fairly stop-start.

Anything I should be looking at in terms of something that would be causing this? Or am I just going to have to get used to this now that I upgraded from my old 250 learner bike
You're getting 170Km per tank before the reserve light, on a 800cc motorcycle, in stop-start traffic to boot and you think that there's something wrong with your bike ?

Mate, you're lucky that you even get to that number, usually, on 696's/796's, during city-riding, and especially during winter, you'd be lucky to get 135/140/150 Km on the odo before the reserve light comes on, 170Km with "stop-start" traffic...not only is it "good enough" but it's pretty fucking good.
Only way you'll see a consumption lower than that is to take it out of the city, with no traffic and to treat her normally - "normally" meaning not twisting that throttle to death/redlining it...
On the 796, with an average speed of 150/160+ Km/h i could reach 200 Km on the odo before the light came up, other times, when i was being more careful and playing by the road rules i could reach 215 Km on the odo before the reserve light came on, mind you, i've seen that number only 2-3 times in the 5+ years that i had the bike but...
Other things to take into account : A) fuel quality B) This isn't your 250cc learner bike

Too long didn't read version : considering you're commuting in stop 'n' go traffic, 170Km on the odometer before the reserve light comes on is preeety fooking good, no worries whatsoever.

Also : if you think that fuel consumption isn't good, let me tell you, never get the 1200, in stop 'n' go traffic, i've seen the fuel consumption climb to 2.0+ litre car territory (10lt/100Km)

@ PhilB : Not really - unless you live in 'Murrica and you only ride on a straight road at 70+/- Km/h at most.Tank is 13.5lt btw (ABS model).

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 09-26-2018 at 01:08 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:37 PM

On the way back from seeing the eclipse last year, we slabbed it home from Kentucky on I69. Me on my 696, a couple guys on their Multis, and a couple superbikes, I have a k&n air filter and pipes so maybe a little lean but she runs strong. 75-90 mph for almost 2 hrs and my mpg was almost 55. The bigger bikes mpg was around 35-38. Murrica like a mofo
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 PM

Contributing mine.
I get 290-320km before the light is on.
Style of riding,80% highway and 20% city.
Light wrist,upshift at 4krpm, constant speed usually 90-105km/hr.
Bike is fully stock, on Octane 95.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in