Just bought duc 696 in white - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
il go with those^ if it doesnt pass roadworthy, but it was fun making a light out of found objects myself hehe, it works quite well so far, and looks ok, kinda proto industrial old school lol. ......hehehe. :-) thanks for the link dez,g1/

i wanted black plastic conduit for the wiring but ahwell the local hardware only had clear, can swap later.

boy its been a lot of work, all 3 tank bolts were all missing but ive sorted it via hardware and some new bolts and washers. managed to scavange some hex bolts i had laying round for other bits and pieces, and loctite on everything. there was a few missing here and there like exhaust mounts petrol tank brackets wer loose with a bolt missing, THE NEW HORN WORKS====WOOOHOO, i was sweating pulling the loom down to problem solve that one if cleaning the switch mech didnt work.
some wiring needed wrapping with elec tape here n there, in a few spots, tho it looks quite clean under the tank area.so all electrics are fine, hooray.

with both forks disassembled it would have been a good time to invest in some better springs or a cartridge kit etc, but its all money, can come later, me and my bro are both between 65-75 kgs so wel be fine for a while,

as for the forks, what a forking mess, right one had signs of corrosion, the other wasnt much better, they have cleaned up quite well, but i think il try lightly metal polishsing the lower tube outer chrome section and maybe the inner too on the right leg, just gently, i dont think oxide and fork oil would be good combo somehow.its not too extreme, but not great either., it was disgusting inside, unreal.
and will folow your advice on 7.5w too.cheers.

if i had the opportunity i would give the previous owner the industrial strength, steel capped, proverbial punishing boot right up his backside for neglecting this bike, i think tho, as the motor seemed to run very well, blows no smoke etc, plenty of power and low kms,should be right x fingers. most of it is pretty good so far, and it came with termis hehe, my r/w shop said no probs on that one.pheww!!

p.s. is it 500 ml fork oil per leg? ive tried researching but...... seems nothing is difinitive.?? user manual states 2008- 474ml right, 349 left?? 2009 manual says 538ml per leg,?

not too far to go now, getting close, only fork seals and frnt wheel bearings, and new tyres, unfortunately i got sold the wrong size fork seals , have to go to town monday and get some more.and get some frnt wheel bearings from somewhere too, il try brad for bearings. or fraser ducati in town.

thanks both of you guys for taking an interest, all advice is warmly welcomed and thoroughly appreciated too.

after all this grease monkey sweat, i am BUSTING to ride this bike!!! still needs a bit of cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151128_173444.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	184513   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151128_174019.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	184521   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151127_200930.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	184529  
LeFraussie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i have a question, where abouts can i get bearings and fork seals in melbourne?
this is becoming a bloody hassle tracking them down, ebays will take a week probably,.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 05:03 PM

Not sure about Melbourne suppliers , you will pay an arm and a leg at any Ducati parts supplier but you will at least get the correct part.
My mate shares by SKF seals .

What I like to use over ant wiring is heat shrink , you can get it in many different diameters and colours from places like Jaycar or any good auto supply , all you need is one of those crack lighters to heat and shrink and the finish is very professional and also keeps water out .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i will probably have to go to ducati melbourne, not going back to kawasaki mornington ever again, not nice people there, and stuffed me around, with wrong sized bearing, they sell ducatis and dont know a wheel bearing size yeh right/ i got the front wheel bearing casing out at least, im polishing the fork tubes [lower] and its working, look much better, i might have to do the inside lower tubes as its rusted slightly, the oxide wont mix well with fork oil, hehe, yes will go with proper heat shrink later on .
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I took the electric drill and buffer pad and metal polish to the lower chromed fork stanchions and i say what, they have come up looking like brand new, the polish and a rag mounted on wooden shaft cleaned up the insides nicely too.

if anyone ever does there fork seals, i can recommend giving the chromed tubes this treatment!!

as a backyard mech, i really like how easy and acccesible it is to work on these bikes, however, from a spare parts standpoint and dealer supplies/cost, thats a disgraceful situation, if someone was relying on there duc as a daily ride to work etc, this situation is very unimpressive, i go so far as to label it rather rude, disgraceful and bordering on obnoxious.

im tempted to ring ducati in italy and give them a stern telling off.

the forks let this bike down severely, very cheaply made, if i keep the bike i will upgrade with those insert internals with adjustable rebound compression and better springs down the track, maybe respring the rear etc.

if it wasnt for the poor parts supply ie fork seals and bearings, i could have been riding this bike by now.

im going to learn as much as i can about these bikes. why not.

btw, the front bearings are skf in it, and when i pulled the trashed one out, my first thought was how well made it looked. im tracking down a skf supplier atm. i think they do fork seals too.

Last edited by Duke Arty; 11-29-2015 at 08:45 AM.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:46 PM

Garage
@dukearty

Did you know you have a Ducati dealeship in Mornington if that's closer to you?
Never been there but the manager is member of DOCV and seem to be nice.
They also make the spare parts catalogue available online with prices so you don't have to ring:
http://www.morningtonmotorcycles.com...ke-parts-sales

@Dezmonster2106

Congrats on selling your MS2R 1000!
What's your next ride?
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:14 PM

Garage
@Duke Arty

You are right the forks are cheap on the M696 but to be honest, the real limiting fun factor is the lack ground clearance.
I reckon unless you are doing a lot of track work, if you are within the average rider weight they do an OK job.

If you are really keen on getting full adjustability, Andreani have sales at the moment:

https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...its-699-a.html
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 02:30 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFraussie View Post
@dukearty

Did you know you have a Ducati dealeship in Mornington if that's closer to you?
Never been there but the manager is member of DOCV and seem to be nice.
They also make the spare parts catalogue available online with prices so you don't have to ring:
http://www.morningtonmotorcycles.com...ke-parts-sales

@Dezmonster2106

Congrats on selling your MS2R 1000!
What's your next ride?

No sale just removed it
Re think ,
Missed out on the RSV4 i was lusting after was a bargain but didn't get my deposit down in time Booohooo
Re shod the old girl with a set of Q3's wow great tyres feels like a new mistress .
and fixed the gear linkage issue that I thought was a gear box problem so we love each other again .
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
^

ar mr dezmo06-i took your advice and got an l.e.d strip light for num plate, it was 15$ works fine.

@LeFraussie, that guy in mornington{john the owner i think} is ok, but 1 of his salesman whom ive dealt with before over the years, can be frustrating and quite unhelpful, and very dismissive. he already sold me the wrong front bearing, it was tiny and he should have known there was no way it would fit on a street bike, it was for like a kx80 or something.[they sell dukes for crying out loud??}

there is no dust cover/bearing cover washer on left side of front wheel, only the axle spacer, im wondering if this is why the fork seals went[i.e pulling the lower fork stanchions inwards due to the slight gap caused by no dust cap washer etc], its quite odd, becos usa duc 696 parts lists this on the front wheel, but eu/aus doesnt in the diagrams? so im not sure whether its meant to go on the front axle setup, it didnt have it on the axle when i pulled the front end down.

when i put the front end back together, im going to check if there is a space there without torqueing the axle, if so il throw an appropriate washer in against the left bearing.

, good and bad new, the good news is, i got 2 new front bearings and put them in today, bad new is i took the back wheel off and it needs 2 new ones too, wahahahaha,-----> but the cush drive is fine, rear sprocket is pretty fine.

when i bought the bike, one of the pics of the bike was at a car wash place, this is probably why the bearings were rusty and shot, so were the forks really too,

so here goes for any future ducati thread readers/owners,,,---->>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>WARNING>>DO NOT PRESSURE WASH YOUR DUCATI, EVER, EVER, AND NEVER.!!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

i have sourced new bearings and fork seals from a shop in brighton on nepean hwy called bikes and bits and they were fantastic nice young blokes, very helpful and genuinely interested in helping me out., they measured the fork seals with a micrometer because the standard stock duke seals for this bike dont fit the showa forks that are on it believe it or not!!

for some reason the standard fork seals dont fit my particular forks, these same seals are parts # listed for 09 duc 696 too in aus.

a tip for anyone installing bearings, freeze them first before installing, makes it much easier,, and to remove old ones, use a heat gun carefully or small crack lighter around the edges of the bearing itself,, not on the bearing tho, my bearings were shattered, literally disintegrated, and rusted in place,

@LeFraussie, could the clearance issue be solved by raising the forks and rear height by an inch somehow, or low profile pegs/clutch lever etc?

your making me want to sell it and buy a 1000m or somtin, im sure il love riding it, im not a highly skilled rider, yet, probably average.

i hope this thread/topic etc has brought a modecum of entertainment for you both too, kind regs from me,
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
ok, the rear end is back together with new wheel bearings, brake caliper and shoes cleaned & lines bled, the rear reservior was filthy milky with residue in the bottom, back brake is great now. bled the clutch already. another filthy reservior with milky deposit and silt, best bet is to suck out this crap with a syringe before bleeding so as not to run this muck thru the lines, then fill and bleed. just dont suck out too much, leave a little bit in the bottom.

rear axle is cleaned and greased properly, new 14 t on the front sprocket and new chain. looking good!!!

Also i finally got the right size front fork seals, ariette brand, cos nothing seemed to fit, but the guy at bike n bits found a set that matched, so im stoked, should be test riding the bike tomorrow arvo, kudos to adrian at bike and bits for taking the time to get it right, instead of just selling the wrong part to me like some other shop did. and generally not caring, he did real good by me.

just got to assemble and bleed the front brakes and put the forks back together and shes a runner.

il get back with pics when shes good to go why not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode