Just bought duc 696 in white - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:48 PM

What you need for the gasket is ThreeBond TB1215 liquid gasket you will use about half a tube.
It is the gasket glue that is recomended and used by Ducati for the clutch side case , it is heat resistant .
I used it on my wife bike when I replaced the clutch plates last month from memory it was $25.
Make sure you clean both surfaces very well and have an even thread with no gaps.

Oil in the air box "COULD" be from the return hose from the crank case breather this is a emmisions Euro requirement so any oil blow back from the crank case pressure is re absorbed into the fuel air mix and not sent into the atmosphere .
This tends to happen especially if someone has been doing a lot of mono's / wheelies blown fork seals are also a give away for this.
Nothing to worry about just new seals and fork oil .

Not sure from your photos if those are slip on cans or full system if it is a full system then most likely there is a K & N reusable air filter
and ECU too match , in that case if it is full system the the oil in the air box is likely just an over oiled filter which then negates the above theory.

If it is a K&N go and buy a re charge kit from the auto store $20 clean the air filter with the spray cleaner then hose it out always from the inside out , then blow it dry from inside out with an air compressor and apply the red oil.

Pretty easy to build a plate holder just remember to add a red reflector as required by Australian law or you could get fined.

Good luck , they are a fun little bike and will go like stink when you get it up in the rev range.
Best mod I did for her was a Ducati performance seat which is flatter with less slope which stops you getting your wedding tackle jammed up in the tank under braking with that and some stomp grip on the tank the meat and two veg are a lot happier.

I also got rid of the passenger rear sets and the ugly banana bracket that holds them which tends to push your heals out at a weird angle
didn't care much for the look either so I replaced them with a rearset from a S4R so no pillion but thats a good thing.

Last edited by Dezmonster2106; 11-25-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 07:02 PM

Also new plugs will make a huge difference .
Has it had all its service records filled in ?
At 12 k I think it would be due for belts , doubt valve clearences would be needed if anything maybe just the exhaust would be out.
Maybe a minor service belts fuel filter and throttle bodies balanced oil and filter and clutch and brake fluid flush and bleed.
At least take the belt covers off and check they are in good condition and not too loose or tight , belts are cheap compared to an engine re build if one fails.

If your looking for a good Ducati mechanic in Melbourne Brad the bike boy highly recomended
On of the best in Australia if not the best.
King street Oakleigh 3166
http://www.bikeboy.org/

Last edited by Dezmonster2106; 11-25-2015 at 07:06 PM.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ive done plugs, oil/filter new battery so far, will check the belts+valve shims etc now too well worth it, has no service booklet , but has a service sticker on fork leg,

think its just filter oil in the box, was a clear red colour,

thanx for the tip on the reflector, good one.

pretty sure the termis are just slip ons , il post a few more pics tonite,

still have to do fork seals and wire in num plate light,

it runs great with new oil battery plugs n filter.

thanx HEAPS for your advice, really appreciated a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
how much tension on the belts, got any advice?
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
im doing the fork seals, i had to make a tool to remove the castle nut on one leg, i know theres other write ups etc, but heres a pic for anyone doing this to give an idea of how i made the special tool, and the fork disassambled to show the parts, all i need now is a seal driver which il make from pvc tube/hardware.
when doing the forks go adhd on them with cleaning of every single component thoroughly to surgical specs,

i use a non residue auto brake/carby spray cleaner and rags and poles with rags tied on them, be sure to spray the liquid first to flush any particles out before applying rags. do not score the inner tubes, and polish the outer lower tube as much as possible to soften any micro scratches.
The forks were absolutely filthy the inside leg had a pool of grease like crud at the bottom that wouldnt even pour out, it was that bad.

with the tool, its an old style socket wrench thing, i drilled holes at each compass point at the right height and welded round steel pins into each hole, then grinded them flat, banged a wrench and socket on top. it worked fine, i wrapped the internal rod in rags to protect it whilst placing over etc.

going to put the indicator wires in black plastic conduit at the rear, i checked the belts and tensioned them, one was a bit loose or maybe even both i thought,but neither was freyed they looked pretty good, used a mob phone and guitar tuner to 110 hertz in auto mode. it was a bit shabby in there too, so i cleaned the rollers off and re installed them.

the oil magnetic drain bolt had a bit of metal sludge but no large peices =thank the ducati gods hehe. looked ok. forgot the oil gauss screen tho, next time.

my advice to anyone working on these bikes and allen bolts is use the best grade allen sockets/keys you can find, luky i got some chrome vanadium ones that are great.

when refitting the belts i aligned the crank via the mark by putting bike in 6th gear and rolling into position, then removed the rounded hex screws from the middle of cam covers and placed appropriate sized drill bits into each holes then rotate the gears to lock the upper and lower gears into place, hope this is correct hehe!!! theres no timing marks inside the belt casings.

love this bike. learning heaps.

cant wait to flog it, bought a new chain and 14t front sprocket too. the bearing was shot in the front wheel, getting that done on monday.
buying it from brad the bike boy.

if theres any duc riders in melb who are up for a ride one sunny day, im in ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151127_172004.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	184401   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151127_172022.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	184409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151127_172114.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	184417  
Mik likes this.

Last edited by Duke Arty; 11-27-2015 at 03:58 AM.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 03:52 AM

Garage
Great Job DukeArty! You got a real bargain on that bike.

Sunday morning I'm doing a few laps of the Black Spur to play with my suspension.
You should join and get your sag and rebound set properly.

We can meet in Healesville at the Beechworth bakery carpark.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
p.s. heres some pics of the cheapo tail unit i bought[40$] and some cheap indicators too[23$]i will pass the wiring thru black plastic conduit to clean it up. i had to file the plastic where the rear fender was broken off to make it neat, drill some holes to mount the braket, thank gawd the all the electric work, except the horn, but got a new one to try later on.
im making a 12 volt 5 w numberplate light out of a globe and some large car fuses i had, then will fabricate a metal shade and bolt the lot on, had to loctite all the bolts i could and replace half a dozen that were missing on tank covers etc, even the bolts that hold the petrol tank mounts had 1 missing and were loose, some of the wiring needed wrapping here and there with pvc elec tape etc.
overall its been a fair bit of work still got to bleed all brake/clutch fluids, clean the pads + discs , especially the front where fork oil was dripping profusely, probably what wrecked the frnt wheel bearing lol.
and more cleaning and detailing.
its rude not to look after a nice eyetalian motor bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151125_174610 2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	184425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151127_200834.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	184433   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151127_200826.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	184441  
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@LeFraussie-

the bike wont be ready by this sunday sadly, still got rego and roadworthy next week. and bit more work to do this wkend, what a shame, in future though, yes, i need all the advice i can get re suspension setup, is new territory for me on this bike.
i have a litre of 10w fork oil and a litre of 5w, was going to mix 50/50 to make 7.5w but think mite go 60/40 with 10/5 to make it a bit more weight for front forks? does that sound logical? heard the front end is a bit soft.

i know the bakery in beechworth you mean too. wel file it for the next future run you do up there ok. that be great.

Last edited by Duke Arty; 11-27-2015 at 04:39 AM.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 06:02 AM

Garage
I've got some spare stock indicators if you are interested.

For the suspension, only the shock is adjustable for preload and rebound. The forks are set for an average rider between 75-85kg riding on the street. If you fit in that range, you might want to stick with stock setting regarding oil weight.

Suspension adjustment takes time. I like to follow Dave Moss process. Here is an example of his work on a M821 which has similar suspensions to the 696:

http://www.rideforever.co.nz/news-an...ith-dave-moss/

Looking forward to seeing the bike finished.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Arty View Post
p.s. heres some pics of the cheapo tail unit i bought[40$] and some cheap indicators too[23$]i will pass the wiring thru black plastic conduit to clean it up. i had to file the plastic where the rear fender was broken off to make it neat, drill some holes to mount the braket, thank gawd the all the electric work, except the horn, but got a new one to try later on.
im making a 12 volt 5 w numberplate light out of a globe and some large car fuses i had, then will fabricate a metal shade and bolt the lot on, had to loctite all the bolts i could and replace half a dozen that were missing on tank covers etc, even the bolts that hold the petrol tank mounts had 1 missing and were loose, some of the wiring needed wrapping here and there with pvc elec tape etc.
overall its been a fair bit of work still got to bleed all brake/clutch fluids, clean the pads + discs , especially the front where fork oil was dripping profusely, probably what wrecked the frnt wheel bearing lol.
and more cleaning and detailing.
its rude not to look after a nice eyetalian motor bike.
Or you could save yourself a heap of work and pick up some of these.
They give a really good spread of light over the plate and are cheap
I put them on the missus 696 and they look and work really well

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-X-12V-W...AAAOSwAYtWJt1r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in