Jumped out of gear??? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Jumped out of gear???

3rd. gear about 65mph... shifted into 4th. up to about 75 and it slips out of gear? Thought I lost the chain..tach went to 9k and I pulled to the side of the road.(Downshifting the whole time over to the road side... kinda sat there collecting my thoughts...) Traffic cleared and I took off like nothing ever happened...1st-2nd.-3rd. 4th.gear and start slowing down for the turn into town. rode thru the 1st. thru 4th gears for another 5 miles. stopped and had a quick beer at the local tavern and re-start rode home no issues. First time this has happened any thoughts? (2012 Monster 696)

Beez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 02:30 AM

I've never had a bike slip out of gear under power. I have knocked my last bike into neutral by not clearing my foot properly after shifting. So rider error and I ride with ball of of my foot in the pegs these days

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM

i've had mine go neutral by not shifting hard enough and it being in between gears. all it took was clicking up or down a gear to engage the transmission. not sure if this is what you experienced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've had it pop out on different bikes over the years. Most bikes have a false neutral between gears. While it may be difficult to find, it's not impossible. I'm going out on a limb here, but I suspect you may not have gotten 4th completely locked in. It may have cruised around for awhile and when you gave it some gas, or came off the throttle, it popped into the false neutral. It will for sure catch you off guard. I'd plan to ride it just like always. Then if it begins to happen regularly, it may be time to replace a gear that got chipped.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all.

Mike - Andy - UB. Thanks!!! I rode the rest of the way home with a stop in-between with no issues. If it happens again definitely dealer ship time since it's still under warranty until may 2014. I'm thinking Mike hit it w/ the gear not being fully engaged... as I did hit the throttle pretty good after releasing the clutch
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezwiz View Post
Mike - Andy - UB. Thanks!!! I rode the rest of the way home with a stop in-between with no issues. If it happens again definitely dealer ship time since it's still under warranty until may 2014. I'm thinking Mike hit it w/ the gear not being fully engaged... as I did hit the throttle pretty good after releasing the clutch
So I'm pretty sure this exact thing happened to me about a week ago on my 2013 696. Was cruising at about 60 when suddenly it felt like it jumped out. Thankfully I was coming up to a turn to I started to break and shifted down into first while making sure to push completely. Haven't had an issue since, but I sat there for a moment wondering wtf had just happened.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 AM

When I had my 696 it would miss gears, hard to find N mostly when it was new. The transmission needs to break in also. I sold it at 7500 miles and the engine and trans where smooth as silk.

2009 M1100S... Rosso
Too much money already dumped in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode