Cold start kickback - no starter engagement - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: WI
Posts: 13
Cold start kickback - no starter engagement

Always how it goes - went to move the bike to storage today as winter is on its way. Cold start usually a bit finicky (45F today), but this AM it kicked out with a snap after a short fire and now the stater will run but not engage (just freewheels). Garage floor is a bit too slick to get the engine to bump via the rear wheel in gear.

Seems like it took out the starter gear/sprag, but seeing if anyone has run into anything similar before I start digging in...guess it's not moving to storage today...

EDIT - very similar to this incident...also reflects sprag/ring gear: https://www.diavel-forum.com/index.p...ngages-engine/

Last edited by dodge_mich; 10-27-2019 at 07:07 PM.
dodge_mich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:28 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: LA, CA, USA
Posts: 13
Probably the sprag clutch if its not engaging, it can happen from all the research I have done when I had an issue with a Multistrada that I had. From the research you can use a KTM sprag, they are about 1/2 the price of the Ducati part.

2019 M1200R
TjHunter is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: WI
Posts: 13
Got it split open, does seem like the sprag isn't engaging. Have the flywheel bolt and washer pulled, but the flywheel won't budge, despite being splined vs tapered.

Anyone run into this before?
dodge_mich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: LA, CA, USA
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge_mich View Post
Got it split open, does seem like the sprag isn't engaging. Have the flywheel bolt and washer pulled, but the flywheel won't budge, despite being splined vs tapered.

Anyone run into this before?
I still believe it has a slight taper, gentle tap with wood and a hammer should get it off.

2019 M1200R
TjHunter is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: WI
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjHunter View Post
I still believe it has a slight taper, gentle tap with wood and a hammer should get it off.
That's what I would've thought too - familiar with "the tap" to get tapered ones off. Even gave it some tension with a three-jaw puller, a few light taps...no love. Seems like I'm missing something...but there's not much to it...lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20191104_181752.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	220802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 6.24.26 PM.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	220804  
dodge_mich is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: WI
Posts: 13
Got it off...just needed quite a bit more oomph and a few more thwacks...was on there pretty well. Snug the whole way off as well.

Definitely a bad sprag, but should be a quick fix once the parts come in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20191104_185319.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	220810   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20191104_185948.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	220812  

Last edited by dodge_mich; 11-04-2019 at 09:35 PM.
dodge_mich is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:53 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: LA, CA, USA
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge_mich View Post
Got it off...just needed quite a bit more oomph and a few more thwacks...was on there pretty well. Snug the whole way off as well.

Definitely a bad sprag, but should be a quick fix once the parts come in.
Mmm, sprag for dinner, DAMN, that was MUNCHED, glad you got it off!

2019 M1200R
TjHunter is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Junior Member
 
brainless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Nashville Tennessee, USA
Posts: 6
Garage
This is freakin' insane! Hopefully nothing got into the engine.

I picked up a 2016 1200S and it's having the exact same problem. I wanted to go for a ride today (63F) and Qwack! Then free spinning... I've had the bike for less than 2 years.

Thanks for the info. This confirmed my research.
brainless is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: WI
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainless View Post
This is freakin' insane! Hopefully nothing got into the engine.

I picked up a 2016 1200S and it's having the exact same problem. I wanted to go for a ride today (63F) and Qwack! Then free spinning... I've had the bike for less than 2 years.

Thanks for the info. This confirmed my research.
Wasn't running, and the sprag is pretty tucked in between the starter gear and the flywheel, so should be ok. Changing it out means draining the oil as well.

Sprag finally arrives here Tues. All in all, not a difficult job so far if you don't mind spinning wrenches.

I'm curious if the replacement part has the plastic holder. Seemed like the Diavels had a recall to ditch those, but couldn't find much on the Monsters...? I'd already torn in and had the part on order, but might be worth a call for your situ' just to see...
https://www.diavel-forum.com/index.p...-sprag-clutch/

Last edited by dodge_mich; 11-10-2019 at 09:00 PM.
dodge_mich is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:03 PM
Junior Member
 
brainless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Nashville Tennessee, USA
Posts: 6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge_mich View Post
Wasn't running, and the sprag is pretty tucked in between the starter gear and the flywheel, so should be ok. Changing it out means draining the oil as well.

Sprag finally arrives here Tues. All in all, not a difficult job so far if you don't mind spinning wrenches.

I'm curious if the replacement part has the plastic holder. Seemed like the Diavels had a recall to ditch those, but couldn't find much on the Monsters...? I'd already torn in and had the part on order, but might be worth a call for your situ' just to see...
https://www.diavel-forum.com/index.p...-sprag-clutch/
Please let us know if it's plastic. Quite stupid to use plastic there when there is a crap load of compression that could backfire. Would love to know if there is an "upgrade."

I'm new to Ducati, are there sites to order OEM? Or do I really need to go to the local dealership?
brainless is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome