Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Cold start kickback - no starter engagement

7K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  TjHunter 
#1 · (Edited)
Always how it goes - went to move the bike to storage today as winter is on its way. Cold start usually a bit finicky (45F today), but this AM it kicked out with a snap after a short fire and now the stater will run but not engage (just freewheels). Garage floor is a bit too slick to get the engine to bump via the rear wheel in gear.

Seems like it took out the starter gear/sprag, but seeing if anyone has run into anything similar before I start digging in...guess it's not moving to storage today...

EDIT - very similar to this incident...also reflects sprag/ring gear: https://www.diavel-forum.com/index.php?/topic/67929-starter-no-longer-engages-engine/

#8 ·
This is freakin' insane! Hopefully nothing got into the engine.

I picked up a 2016 1200S and it's having the exact same problem. I wanted to go for a ride today (63F) and Qwack! Then free spinning... I've had the bike for less than 2 years.

Thanks for the info. This confirmed my research.

#9 · (Edited)
Wasn't running, and the sprag is pretty tucked in between the starter gear and the flywheel, so should be ok. Changing it out means draining the oil as well.

Sprag finally arrives here Tues. All in all, not a difficult job so far if you don't mind spinning wrenches.

I'm curious if the replacement part has the plastic holder. Seemed like the Diavels had a recall to ditch those, but couldn't find much on the Monsters...? I'd already torn in and had the part on order, but might be worth a call for your situ' just to see...
https://www.diavel-forum.com/index.php?/topic/84226-recall-for-flywheelstarter-sprag-clutch/

#12 ·
Well, replacement part was the same plastic. Shops were closed and it was one of the few warmer days left here, so reassembled it with that...back together and running again.

Will probably call Monday to see if there's any truth to the "non-recall recall" so I know for the future.

#19 · (Edited)
Reviving this thread... This is insane. I'm not new at working on bikes. But is there really a secret to removing the flywheel

I read forums youtubes and I also have the service manual for the 2014 1200. There is no mention of anything other than removing the crankshaft nut and its washer.

I've been at it and even bought a flywheel puller.

The bike is a 2016 1200s. Was there a change?

I see a hole and something that may be holding the flywheel... Is that possible this is new and it's not mentioned in the 2014 service manual

I'll start a new thread.

#20 ·
Nope, that hole is just an index mark for when you put things back together.

I needed a puller, and it came off slow...I put some tension the puller, than gave the puller a tap with the hammer to jar things loose a bit...could then get a bit more turns on the puller...repeat. It was fairly snug the whole way off, due to being splined vs a typical taper.

#21 · (Edited)
Well, got it off with a boat load of puller and impact... gonna update the other thread for that. but here is an update on the different part:

70140351A is NOT for the 2016 Monster 1200S:

Side by side compare, ID and OD don't match at all. /forums/images/DucatiMonster_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

#22 ·
So... I did a bit of research and find out that the plastic SPRAG shows up in the parts fiche for the 2017+ Monster and other models.
https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com/ducati-motorcycle/assignment_spare_parts/70140501A

To compare apples to apples, I picked Monster 1200S:

Besides the fact that my Monster is a 2016, it seems to have the 2017 setup. That, in itself is a little Ef'd up... :mad:

Also, based on the parts, the Service manual should NOT be for 2014-2018 Monster. It really should be for 2014-2016 Monster, then a new version should be out there for 2017+ monsters. The procedure to remove/install the plastic sprag is different, let alone the parts count.

I figured maybe swap things back to use the metal sprag, no?

That would be great, BUT you would need all the parts highlighted AND you're banking on the Crankshaft is the same dimension. It is unfortunately not the same part number... even the nut is different... :rolleyes:

Here's the other kicker:
The sprag is still functioning. It was stuck open where the "teeth" would not stop the driven gear from going the wrong direction. Once the sprag was free, it snapped right into where it was supposed to be.

I put everything back together and she starts just fine. But for how long???

I'm going to ask the dealership to figure something out.

I'm also thinking about switching back to 20w50 oil (I switched to 10w40 to match the same of all other bikes in the garage) hoping this may help.

This is a little Ef'ed up. I've worked on lots of bikes, including Harleys. Never seen something like this. Who the F'k puts a plastic part submerged in petrolium and think it can sustain a monster amount of kickback torque????

My driven gear already has wear grooves. The bike only has 7k miles.... :banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.