2015 1200S Shift lever stuck in up position - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

2015 1200S Shift lever stuck in up position

Hi all. I've had this moto for about a month now and absolutely love it. Aside from a few false neutrals here and there and having difficulty finding neutral at a light, the trans has worked and shifted really well. However, last night while riding home, for the second time it seems my shift lever has gotten stuck in the up position after shifting into 6th. I left a light, shifted up through the gears in a normal fashion, cruised for a while, then was going to start shifting down for a red light when I couldn't find my lever. I noted it was very high up and I had to jam down quite hard for it to pop back into place. Doing a little research, this seems like it could be a return spring issue. Has anyone had this? Did they confirm and correct the root cause? Any information is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrofimovich View Post
Hi all. I've had this moto for about a month now and absolutely love it. Aside from a few false neutrals here and there and having difficulty finding neutral at a light, the trans has worked and shifted really well. However, last night while riding home, for the second time it seems my shift lever has gotten stuck in the up position after shifting into 6th. I left a light, shifted up through the gears in a normal fashion, cruised for a while, then was going to start shifting down for a red light when I couldn't find my lever. I noted it was very high up and I had to jam down quite hard for it to pop back into place. Doing a little research, this seems like it could be a return spring issue. Has anyone had this? Did they confirm and correct the root cause? Any information is appreciated!
There is no easy access to take a peak...but drain the oil and if you have metal bits on the drain plug that will likely tell you...I had mine fail m821 at around 40k miles...a bit of surgery but nothing to complicated....

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

It doesn't seem too complicated. Mine just hit 8000 miles the other day which seems a little early to be a return spring failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrofimovich View Post
It doesn't seem too complicated. Mine just hit 8000 miles the other day which seems a little early to be a return spring failure.
Yeah that is a bit early....pulling the cover will require a standard puller and your going to need flywheel holding tool...as well as an impact wrench...the nut was something like 360nm...if it isn't the spring i would look at the stopper plate and if that somehow got loose I would not reuse the hardware to resecure it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode