Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/)
-   Ducati Monster 1200 (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-1200/)
-   -   Belt change (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/ducati-monster-1200/355040-belt-change.html)

biggwigg 04-20-2019 06:21 PM

Belt change

Hello, for those of us who bought the first 1200's in 2014 are coming up on five years and need new belts for our monsters. I have been searching all over the internet trying to find info on how to do this with these bikes, not a lot of info for the M1200. I have ordered the belts and was wondering what else is needed. I see mixed opinions about needing the cam lock tool. If I need it, I am guessing the one for the 1199, 1099, 999 ect will work? The 20 tooth 4v? Any other tips and tricks about this bike are welcome as well before I start to dig in.

Thanks.

Monster4Lee 04-20-2019 06:30 PM

I had my favorite Indy shop do it. They said belts were about $100 x 2, and labor etc out the door I think I paid about $400.
I was not comfortable taking it on myself. Now I am good for 5 years. On that anyway.

biggwigg 04-20-2019 06:41 PM

I have no problem wrenching on it. I'm just making sure I get all the right tools before I take everything apart. Not sure why, but most of the websites always leave the M1200 out when it shows a list of bikes that stuff works with. Like the spanner wrenches, axle nut drivers, cam locks ect.

Bono61 04-20-2019 08:07 PM

The service manual will tell you the tools and how to do it ... Cheers

Jaxx 04-22-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggwigg (Post 3163898)
I have no problem wrenching on it. I'm just making sure I get all the right tools before I take everything apart. Not sure why, but most of the websites always leave the M1200 out when it shows a list of bikes that stuff works with. Like the spanner wrenches, axle nut drivers, cam locks ect.

I've noticed the same thing! I just ordered axle sockets, c spanner for chain adjustment, etc and man that was confusing. I still don't even know if they will work when they arrive. To make it more confusing, it seems this iteration of Monster has really nothing in common to older Monsters.

Do you have a service manual?

biggwigg 04-22-2019 06:46 PM

Yes I do have a manual. I was hoping I did not have to buy the $123 tool for the cams. I was thinking I could get away with the $10 tool that holds the sprockets. I know I will eventually break down and buy the tool that locks the cams.

marvin 04-29-2019 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggwigg (Post 3163892)
Hello, for those of us who bought the first 1200's in 2014 are coming up on five years and need new belts for our monsters. I have been searching all over the internet trying to find info on how to do this with these bikes, not a lot of info for the M1200. I have ordered the belts and was wondering what else is needed. I see mixed opinions about needing the cam lock tool. If I need it, I am guessing the one for the 1199, 1099, 999 ect will work? The 20 tooth 4v? Any other tips and tricks about this bike are welcome as well before I start to dig in.

Thanks.

You do not need the cam holding tools. I have a S4RS Testastretta engine in my 851 and have changed belts several times as well as on other Testastretta Monsters.
I do it the old way that I have used on desmoquattro engines for years. Turn the engine over so the Horiz cylinder is at TDC (all valves loose). Mark the belts and cam pulleys carefully (no usuable timing marks on the pulleys on a testastretta) Remove the belts and mark the new belts exactly the same as your old belts (count the cogs/spaces,also mark the pulleys). Install the new belts and tension them. The tool that holds the cam pulleys in position (goes between the two cam pulleys) might be helpful when doing this) I do then turn the engine over so the vert. cylinder is at TDC and re-set the tension on the vert. belt. I can't use the factory tool because I have set my cam timing to 107/107 anyway. I thought about making a set of adjustable holding tools but never found the need or never got around to it.

biggwigg 04-29-2019 11:45 AM

Awesome, maybe I will give it a go that way. I hate when I buy these special tools then find out I don't really even need it.

marvin 04-30-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggwigg (Post 3164088)
Awesome, maybe I will give it a go that way. I hate when I buy these special tools then find out I don't really even need it.

Yes, but it's good for the Ducati shareholders ! When the Horiz. cylinder is at TDC the Vert. isn't so the rockerarms tend to turn them so the little tool that goes between the pulleys is helpful.

Buhgaboo 04-30-2019 10:01 PM

Monster 821 full service... belt tension...it's in the forum ...I give good tools and technique to get it done...the Ducati tool makes it really simple but if your only doing this every five years... nevermind...shame on you for riding it so little

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...O/timing_1.jpg