help - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 4Likes

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have heard that carbon fiber is a better heat deflector. Is that true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Garage
I have the carbon fiber shield on my 25th Anniversario. Maybe that is why I don't feel the heat on my thigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archdeelux View Post
I have heard that carbon fiber is a better heat deflector. Is that true?

2004 S4R
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:07 PM

The carbon heat shield doesnít do much. I have it on my 1200R. For any real difference you would need to ceramic coat your pipes or wrap them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:14 AM

I don't know if fitting an exhaust with no cat will help, it certainly does on other Ducati models.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:44 PM

Garage
Yeah I rode my 1200 through Manhattan yesterday and I can rest my leg on the carbon fiber heat shield. Its not that hot. I have the carbon shield on top of the original black shield. I do also have a Comp Werkes muffler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeve View Post
I don't know if fitting an exhaust with no cat will help, it certainly does on other Ducati models.

2004 S4R
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 AM

As far as heat shields go, the stock heat shield is three layers of material. The innermost piece is the one that has heat shielding material on it, and does most of the work. The outside layers are mostly to provide a layer of airflow between your leg and the exhaust. As far as I know, the carbon fiber options simply replace the outermost layer (keeping the stock inner pieces), so I don't think it would make that much of a difference.

I did notice a significant difference when I did a full-exhaust replacement. Overall, the bike definitely runs cooler, and the exhaust heat is less in many conditions. I also notice that the bike cools quicker when I shut it off at the end of a ride, indicating that heat is dissipating better.

That said, I live in a warm climate, and when I get in a situation where the bike is running and not moving much, or after riding the bike hard, it is still plenty hot. My other bikes get just as hot temp-wise, but have bodywork and under-bike exhaust to keep the heat away from me.

_______
Smilodon
V V
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:27 PM

I recently wrapped my exhaust, I can say it had a very real difference for me while riding. I actually don't hate the color, it's "Titanium".

I haven't decided if I want to finish the rest of the exhaust or leave it as is, but I'm more more interested in my own comfort than what someone thinks looks good or not. That said, I like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190518_161213.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	219928  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftbikerun View Post
I recently wrapped my exhaust, I can say it had a very real difference for me while riding. I actually don't hate the color, it's "Titanium".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't decided if I want to finish the rest of the exhaust or leave it as is, but I'm more more interested in my own comfort than what someone thinks looks good or not. That said, I like it.
How does it help with heat while sitting? I have no complaints when riding my 821 but as soon as I'm stuck at a light/ traffic for 5 minutes it gets ridiculous

Also did you use 1 roll or 2 for that?
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancky3 View Post
How does it help with heat while sitting? I have no complaints when riding my 821 but as soon as I'm stuck at a light/ traffic for 5 minutes it gets ridiculous

Also did you use 1 roll or 2 for that?
A little over half a roll and definitely noticed a difference while sitting. It makes sense it insulates the heat from dissipating through to your legs and thighs.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:53 PM

As an update, I took a pretty lengthy ride yesterday, weather was much warmer, stop and go traffic and spirited riding, and I am adament that the wrap has made a substantial difference. I'm quite happy and would wrap my headers again in a heart beat.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode