1200S No Rear Brake...again - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

1200S No Rear Brake...again

When I first bought the bikes (used) it had a very very mushy rear break with almost no stopping power. I bled it a few times and got a little pressure but no where close to where it should be.

I just spent a few hours, bleeding the brake again. Then removing the caliber so it could be held above the ABS system, bled again, used a vacuum, reverse bleed, etc. I went through an entire bottle of motul in the process.

Still no feed back what so ever. Brake pedal is completely useless. Almost as it’s sucking air in one way or the other.

Any ideas before I throw away money by giving it to Ducati due to my impatience?

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:01 PM

Garage
1.remove caliper....squeeze pistons whilst removing fluid from reservoir
2.put something between pads to keep them open
3.connect tube to bleeder and press pedal to build pressure...open bleeder and close before pedal hits bottom
4.repeat until pedal becomes firm. be absolutely sure the level stays above the min mark in the reservoir and cycle through the fluid faster than a trapped air bubble....keep the bleed valve pointed up and continue until no air appears...than go a little more...be vigilant that the reservoir does not hit MIN and be quick with cycling...pedal down open close pedal up...repeat
if the pedal goes soft at any point there is still air in the system...a helper adding fluid will go along way...the pedal should tighten up rather quickly but don't stop and don't let the volume go below the min mark

with the pedal taught...seal it all up and go for a ride....ride the brake until the abs kicks in...and keep it up until the pedal turns to mush...then repeat
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:51 AM

Garage
icottier

I too had to have this done last year (by the dealer) after garaging over winter - apparently it affects most Ducati's with underslung calipers.

This year, I had the same issue, but I ratchet strapped the pedal down (not too tight) to a ground weight/anchor overnight to keep pressure on it and in the morning, all sorted :-) Much easier than taking everything off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Affects Aprilias too.
Must be an Italian thing.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:35 PM

Garage
The rear brake on a Ducati Monster 1200 is simply a brake light switch. I've bled, changed fluid, replaced the pads with a more aggressive compound, scuffed the rotor with a Scotch-Brite pad and I've come to understand that on flat ground at a complete stop if I clamp on the rear brake the bike will probably not begin to roll away. In the end I've learned to front-brake like a demon!
gavilan likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:20 AM

Garage
Is this an ABS bike?

Similar problem with Multi Stradas and the 1100 Evo ABS...
Try this:
http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...brake_bleeding

2012 Monster 1100 Evo ABS
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Monster S4RS Tricolore

Last edited by alancsalt; 04-16-2019 at 09:57 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:57 PM

I've been dealing with this issue on my 1200R since new. After about a month the rear brake would go soft. Replaced with OEM master cylinder. Still would fail. Replaced Rear Caliper same. Finally replaced with a Brembo master cylinder and has been great for 5 months now.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:25 AM

Garage
Is this an ABS brake issue? Asking because you all seem to mention ABS.

The rear on my old S2R is actually pretty good.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:56 PM

My rear brake is neither use nor ornament. I was planning to try to improve it but I don't think there's much point!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:37 PM

Garage
Mines still taught...but I can't stress the min mark enough...if you think that an air bubble will rise back into the reservoir if you drain it your wrong...put on a clear tube and see for yourself...if that bubble makes its way into the abs pump while engaged it gets stuck again...you can begin to see how the scenario perpetuates...

Air can be at the caliper and in the pump or in the line...pumping fluid at a steady pace clears the line ...angling the caliper up clears the caliper...ride it...engage the abs ...keep going until it's mush or annoyingly soft...repeat....keep the level up and push the fluid through the line fast enough that a rising air bubble still gets cleared...it sucks but it can be done...godspeed
BananaHotdog and gavilan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode