1200S No Rear Brake...again - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 5Likes

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 PM

Garage
I only got what I considered decent rear brake feel after I used a pneumatic bleeder tool. I still had to remove the caliper assembly to get it to work properly, but even using a one-way check valve type tool did not give me the results I was looking for.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
Mines still taught...but I can't stress the min mark enough...if you think that an air bubble will rise back into the reservoir if you drain it your wrong...put on a clear tube and see for yourself...if that bubble makes its way into the abs pump while engaged it gets stuck again...you can begin to see how the scenario perpetuates...

Air can be at the caliper and in the pump or in the line...pumping fluid at a steady pace clears the line ...angling the caliper up clears the caliper...ride it...engage the abs ...keep going until it's mush or annoyingly soft...repeat....keep the level up and push the fluid through the line fast enough that a rising air bubble still gets cleared...it sucks but it can be done...godspeed
Thank you for the awesome suggestion. My rear brake was non existent. I took it out for an hour or two in Urban mode ABS 3 (the highest intervention) and repeatedly hammered it. Pumping the rear brake over and over again at multiple speeds triggering the ABS. Rear brake now works. Very hard to qualify if it's at 100% but it's acceptable.
Buhgaboo likes this.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Thank you for the awesome suggestion. My rear brake was non existent. I took it out for an hour or two in Urban mode ABS 3 (the highest intervention) and repeatedly hammered it. Pumping the rear brake over and over again at multiple speeds triggering the ABS. Rear brake now works. Very hard to qualify if it's at 100% but it's acceptable.
There needs to be some sort of merit badge for this task... Everyone who goes through it is now an expert... from now on,if the pedal goes soft from old fluid you simply siphon the reservoir, refill, and push the good stuff through the lines. ... you don't need to remove caliper. . . takes minutes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:57 PM

I've had great results with removing the bleeder screws, wrapping the threads with teflon tape/plumbers tape, putting them back in and bleeding with the tried and true, squeeze brake, open bleeder, close, repeat. This greatly increases the effectiveness of brake bleeds when air can't get past the threads on the bleeder screws. Try it if you don't believe me. You will have the firmest pedal/lever you've ever had without messing around with speed bleed kits etc.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
I've had great results with removing the bleeder screws, wrapping the threads with teflon tape/plumbers tape, putting them back in and bleeding with the tried and true, squeeze brake, open bleeder, close, repeat. This greatly increases the effectiveness of brake bleeds when air can't get past the threads on the bleeder screws. Try it if you don't believe me. You will have the firmest pedal/lever you've ever had without messing around with speed bleed kits etc.
Brake fluid dissolves Teflon tape...never a good mix
as long as you close the bleed screw before the pedal hits bottom you won't let air in

Last edited by Buhgaboo; 06-06-2019 at 02:46 PM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Brake fluid dissolves Teflon tape...never a good mix
as long as you close the bleed screw before the pedal hits bottom you won't let air in
Racers have been using it for years

I was skeptical until I tried it on multiple bikes.

Referencing this here

https://www.gixxer.com/forums/22-mod...-bleeding.html
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:40 PM

Garage
I get what they're after...but it's the flare that seals...not the threads....however ..air can get in through the threads if the fluid is not moving out of the system...air cannot get in if you close the screw while the pedal is in motion...the tape however will dissolve/disintegrate over time and need to be replaced by completely removing the screw thusly negating any benefit seen in the short term...doing it right will be quicker
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I get what they're after...but it's the flare that seals...not the threads....however ..air can get in through the threads if the fluid is not moving out of the system...air cannot get in if you close the screw while the pedal is in motion...the tape however will dissolve/disintegrate over time and need to be replaced by completely removing the screw thusly negating any benefit seen in the short term...doing it right will be quicker
Really? You guys think tape is going to get into the system?

Use a narrow strip, make sure to not get it down onto the tapered part of the bleed screw. Once the bleeder is tightened down, the tapered part seats against the caliper and seals. No way anything's getting past it.

Even mityvac actually recommends using Teflon tape in one of their FAQ's.

2nd one down in link:

https://www.skf.com/mityvac/contact-and-support/faq/index.html

Last edited by Jaxx; 06-06-2019 at 06:25 PM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:57 PM

Garage
trying to bleed my clutch yesterday on my s2r - fail - heres my thought on ducati monsters
because they have to hide all the "wiring hoses etc" they create hiccups in the lines
so no matter how many times you bleed them like a regular line you get air
this I know for sure on a s2r you must, not kinda sorta maybe, but must remove the rear brake
its the only way to ensure you get all the air out. infact you have to invert it.
and yesterday doing my clutch line after failing to get a strong pump i looked more closely and
and found a 'gap , pocket, space, zone' that was half way down the line caused by zipcord to the frame

mine is the red one
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:03 PM

Yesterday I decided to bleed the rear brake for the first time since buying the bike new. I’ve always had the dealer do it so I could bring it back every time it lost pressure. They replaced the master twice and said it need to be done again. I lost hope with them and never went back. It’s been two years that it has not worked. The lever would go all the way down to the exhaust pipe. I took the caliper off, flipped it over and set it on top of the rotor and bled it the old fashioned way without using my mighty vac. So much air came out it was like foam, kept bleeding more fluid through the system and five minutes later I have a solid pedal again. Only time will tell how long it lasts but it’s the best it’s ever felt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in