Lower triple colour/paint touch-up - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ronski

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Lower triple colour/paint touch-up

'Evening folks

Got a minor scuff from debris on the left-hand side of my lower triple tree and my OCD is fookin' killing me since i can't take my eyes off of it every time i stare at my bike.

Now, best course of action would be to obviously take it off and take it to a paint shop but it's gonna cost me (taking forks off at the dealer/mechanic, leaving the bike there for a couple of days and re-assemble everything back together).At this point i might as well get a new lower triple since it's gonna cost me justa few bucks more, something which isn't gonna happen obviously since, well, it's a minor thing and i'm not that OCD.

Second option would be to touch up the spot.
tried doing it myself with some paint and small brush but...it looked bad since i'm no painter, plus, the painted spot was more glossy and "flat" compared to the OEM black matte which is also coarse in texture.

Besides the "just ride the bike and enjoy it" type of answers, what would the best course of action be in this case ? Can a good paint-shop touch-up/spot-paint the specific spot replicating that coarse in texture type of paint ?

i'm just worying/thinking about the whole re-sale thing to be honest.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:31 PM

Garage
Had a bit of experience in painting, Touching up texture paint is not easy, but there is a way if it's very small.

First, make sure it's the same color, well, black should be black, but in auto paint world not all blacks are the same.
just use a small can of basic flat black, don't use spray cans, the paint is too thin to get a good texture.
If it's a really course finish, there are flat black wrinkle finish paints that could work also.

Next, don't use a brush, texture finishes on walls use a course wool roller, obviously not possible on a triple tree.

Apply using a cotton bud in place of a brush, and dab the paint on the spot. brushing smooths the paint out.

The rest is trial and error, and depends on, thickness of paint, if it's wet or tacky etc. etc. just try it on a piece of scrap and you will see the different 'grade' of texture you can get.

Usually you may have to cover a complete section, corner to corner in a sense to hid the different finish. Then a piece of larger cotton wool would be better.

hope this helps,
Rosso Classico likes this.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronski View Post
Had a bit of experience in painting, Touching up texture paint is not easy, but there is a way if it's very small.

First, make sure it's the same color, well, black should be black, but in auto paint world not all blacks are the same.
just use a small can of basic flat black, don't use spray cans, the paint is too thin to get a good texture.
If it's a really course finish, there are flat black wrinkle finish paints that could work also.

Next, don't use a brush, texture finishes on walls use a course wool roller, obviously not possible on a triple tree.

Apply using a cotton bud in place of a brush, and dab the paint on the spot. brushing smooths the paint out.

The rest is trial and error, and depends on, thickness of paint, if it's wet or tacky etc. etc. just try it on a piece of scrap and you will see the different 'grade' of texture you can get.

Usually you may have to cover a complete section, corner to corner in a sense to hid the different finish. Then a piece of larger cotton wool would be better.

hope this helps,

Much appreciated Ron, i'll try to find a good paint shop and report back.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode