Pro-Grips 717 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Pro-Grips 717

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is something that’s already been discussed on here, but I recently purchased some Pro-Grip 717s to try out. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with them on the 2017+ Monster 1200, and if so how have they treated you/what was the install like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atravag View Post
Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is something that’s already been discussed on here, but I recently purchased some Pro-Grip 717s to try out. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with them on the 2017+ Monster 1200, and if so how have they treated you/what was the install like?
The Pro-Grips 717 are the latest fashion items for the Panigale guys as those come stock on the 1299 Superleggera...Ooooooo!
Must be good for an extra 10 MPH.

All kidding aside:
Unless your stock grips are uncomfortable, the wrong size or damaged why change them?
If you reason is bling, then by all means. Sky's the limit in that case.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959 (gone but shall return in a new iteration)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Side stepping your troll response.....

Does anyone else have experience with them? Just changing them up for a different feel and look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 12:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atravag View Post
Side stepping your troll response.....

Does anyone else have experience with them? Just changing them up for a different feel and look.
Now, Now Just having fun here. No malice intended. Simply zeroing-in on the root reason for the change.
I get the "look" part, and that's ok.
What's wrong about the "feel" of the stock that you don't like? Could you be a bit more specific as to what feel you're looking for?
Were the stock grips too big, too small, too hard, too soft, too grippy, too slippery, too bumpy, too smooth, or what?
Based on your answer, the 717 may not be the model number you need as Pro-Grips have many different compounds available.
https://www.progrip.com/shop-en/motorcycle/road/grips

Like I wrote, the Panigale guys are all over this one.
Here are just a few specific Pro-Grip threads on the topic with all the answers you seek and then some:
https://www.959panigale.net/forum/mo...gel-grips.html
https://www.959panigale.net/forum/95...s-too-big.html
https://www.959panigale.net/forum/95...dscreen-6.html
Installation
https://www.899panigale.org/forum/89...on-please.html
Kidnplay01 likes this.

2016 Monster 1200 R

Last edited by DarR; 12-10-2018 at 03:42 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 04:07 PM

Garage
I'm on my third Ducati in three years and I still don't know if the trade-off from stock is worth it.
Size is fine on both the Pani and the Monster albeit softer would perhaps be better on the former as we're putting more weight on the bars.
Notwithstanding, softer also means less durability which could be substantial. I don't want to change grips each year.
@Rosso Classico had a thread on this. He may chime in with a lot of expertize on the topic specifically for the Monsters.
https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...oem-grips.html

2016 Monster 1200 R

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
I'm on my third Ducati in three years and I still don't know if the trade-off from stock is worth it.
Size is fine on both the Pani and the Monster albeit softer would perhaps be better on the former as we're putting more weight on the bars.
Notwithstanding, softer also means less durability which could be substantial. I don't want to change grips each year.
@Rosso Classico had a thread on this. He may chime in with a lot of expertize on the topic specifically for the Monsters.
https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...oem-grips.html
Let me put it this way : I'm still on my pro-grip(s), right one is shot (you can see the red rubber underneath the black one) but since i'm i'm a cheap skate, i've just turned them upside down

No way i'm gonna use pro-grips again, i'll just go the OEM route (M796/696 grips) which last a LOOOOONG time and cost about 30 bucks or thereabouts.
The 821/1200 OEM ones ? forget about it, they cost almost 600 buckaroos since they come with the tps unit (as discussed in the topic you posted).

Cheers
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:34 AM
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Classico View Post
No way i'm gonna use pro-grips again, i'll just go the OEM route (M796/696 grips) which last a LOOOOONG time and cost about 30 bucks or thereabouts.
The 821/1200 OEM ones ? forget about it, they cost almost 600 buckaroos since they come with the tps unit (as discussed in the topic you posted).

Cheers
M796/696 grips for M1200 replacement grips if needed. Check

2016 Monster 1200 R

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:00 AM

Garage
Rode my buddy’s new M1200 Anniversario (OEM grips on that model) and really liked them.

Ordered from Amazon (details said that the ends would need to be cut - but they actually came with ends cut out - just like OEM)

Air compressor makes removal of stock grips easy. Quality of the Pro 717s are as good or better than stock OEM. Very pleased with the upgrade. Looks sweet and for $17 a nice looking upgrade to my 2018 M1200s!

Install relatively easy - dish soap, warm water, and a little effort to work them on. Pretty straight forward.

good luck.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Never tried the 717 but I do love the 724's. You can get them with a accent color if that is your thing. I just go for grey/black myself.

2007 Ducati S4RT
2006 Ducati S2R800 [sold]
My YouTube Videos - S2R800 & S4RT exhaust vids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode