M821/1200 : Any good Saddlebags for 2up riding ? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

M821/1200 : Any good Saddlebags for 2up riding ?

'Evening gents.

i'm a simple guy, always travelled (solo) with a backpack & tailbag combo but since i'm planning a trip to the Dalmatian coast with the now missus i'm going to need some good'ol fashioned saddlebags.

What i need :

- ones without a bracket mechanism - ain't got time for that [email protected] (i.e: mounting/unmounting parts)

- Got to be comfortable for my missus regarding pillion position/leg placement etc.

- Durable

- Not a hard-to-find/obscure American brand (i'm in Euro-land)

I've already looked at a couple of choices and : Not gonna shell out 1000+ /$ for the Ducati ones, not interested in the SW-motech ones as they need a latching/bracket mechanism - same with the GIVI ones.
Basically, that leaves me with the only option ( i think) of the OGIO saddlebags OR the Dainese D-saddle bags which from what i gather, are just the OGIO ones rebranded.

Thing is, i'm "worried" about these called "universal" options for obvious reasons (i.e: made to "fit" 1213234235 bikes).

Good thing the Monster doesn't have any hard parts/plastics on the rear saddle section as some these universal options always scratch the rear-end part of the bikes so that's a +, the right bag getting burned from the exhaust is a concern though even though the OGIO ones have a thermal-resistant material sewn in the lower part, still, [email protected] happens :

Too long didn't read version : Need some saddlebags that will fit the M1200 nice and that will also be comfortable for the pillion regarding leg room/general comfort.

I'm open to suggestions lads, thanks in advance
terryth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:50 AM

Garage
Sorry, bud, but it looks like you've asked a very hard question. I know you want nothing left on the bike when the bags are off, but quite honestly, the closest you're going to get to this and still have a stable bag system is the SW-Motech setup with the Blaze bags. There really is very little there when the bags are off and to be frank, without some sort of support behind the bags you're going to have issues with the bags shifting at the very least. If you lived on this continent then I'd let you try mine to see if you liked them! Even though I went to the Hepco and Becker C-bow setup, I haven't sold mine because I see myself getting bored with my "ST1200" look at some point and going back to a more naked look, especially since I've been looking at adding an adventure bike to the stable.
Rosso Classico and terryth like this.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianq103 View Post
Sorry, bud, but it looks like you've asked a very hard question. I know you want nothing left on the bike when the bags are off, but quite honestly, the closest you're going to get to this and still have a stable bag system is the SW-Motech setup with the Blaze bags. There really is very little there when the bags are off and to be frank, without some sort of support behind the bags you're going to have issues with the bags shifting at the very least. If you lived on this continent then I'd let you try mine to see if you liked them! Even though I went to the Hepco and Becker C-bow setup, I haven't sold mine because I see myself getting bored with my "ST1200" look at some point and going back to a more naked look, especially since I've been looking at adding an adventure bike to the stable.
To add to this, I have the Blaze bags and the only thing that's left is a metal bracket under the seat which isn't painfully obvious. Here's a pic of mine

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Rosso Classico and terryth like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianq103 View Post
Hey Brian

I know man, this is why i opened this topic - in case there's a good alternative without the need of a bracket system...

Took a look on the installation documentation of the GIVI bracket system and you need to remove the passenger's footpegs (amongst other things) to be able to install them, the SW-motech ones though...you need to drill holes on the undertail section - [email protected] nope man, too much of a hassle for something that's gonna be used every now and then - and this is the thing with whole mounting-unmounting "problem" : general convenience regarding the whole preparation.

As an example, i went this weekend for a 400Km trip with my gf and we used backpacks - not a convenient situation as you can imagine but since it was a short trip we decided to do it and we carried with us only the basic things, now, if i were to use the brackets+ saddlebags system...i'd have to go the previous day to install them, and then upon return i'd have to remove the whole thing as i don't like having stuff hanging from my bike, after all, i didn't buy a multistrada or a GS1200, it's the whole install/uninstall thing that gets on my tits, you know ?

On the other hand, wobbling/having the bags sliding on the sides without a bracket system isn't also ideal - and i also have to add the gf factor to this situation since she'll be the one sitting on top of the fastening strap which i don't think it's gonna be comfortable (for her) for obvious reasons.

Took a look at the Hepco & Becker that you mentioned and they look good/nice but i din't find any documentation for the installation part - do they require any drilling by any chance ?

Shit, i'm going to have to spend 1000+€/$ for the "Ducati" ones, am i not ?

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 05-02-2018 at 04:46 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Garage
The Ducati brand bags leave A LOT of bracketry in place when they are not in place whereas the SW-Motech's leave almost nothing. Remember, you are just putting 4 small holes in the under tail plastic, which as it turns out is not even that expensive to replace (relatively speaking in Ducati-land!). The bracket that is left is almost invisible compared to any other system. As far as the strap that goes across is concerned, if you use the stock seat in the high position it will go under the seat. I've done it, I promise! Besides, if you have your GF riding on that seat you don't really love her anyway!

If you are going for the Ducati brand bags, I believe you would be better served with the C-Bow setup. It, by the way, requires no drilling for install. The soft bags they have are similar to the Ducati bags and to me look a little less over the top. I have gone with the hard bags they offer with the C-Bow setup and to me they look more OEM than the Ducati bags do, minus the Ducati emblem, of course. Plus, Hepco and Becker stuff is much easier to get where you are than here, so that in itself may be a bonus. There is ONE place in North America that sells H & B!

Good luck, my friend!
Rosso Classico likes this.

2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 07:19 PM

Garage
I was going to suggest the Hepco & Becker C-Bow system, but if putting a few bolts into your subframe is too much, the only option I can think of is the Kreiga single side bag they sell.

Andrew

2017 Liquid Cesspool Grey Monster 1200S - a 2016 BMW Triple Black R1200GSw - a 2008 Bonnie Black (soon to be scrambler!)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Aaaaand, sh*t...

Got the Sw-motech SLC sidecarriers thinking that they'd work well with my Richa saddlebags (as not to touch the exhaust) and well, let's just say that the whole "compatibility" ain't good.

These are the saddlebags

And these are the Sw-motech SLC sidecarriers

Basically :

- if i place the velcro straps on top of the seat, my pillion won't be comfortable (to say the least), plus, they're obviously not as secured as with the velcro straps underneath the seat.

- With the velcro straps underneath the seat, no matter the adjustment, it's a bitch to latch the seat properly, plus, no matter what, the right saddlebag is just millimeters away from the exhaust (if any) and we all know how that can go...

Besides that, even if the right saddlebag didn't touch the exhaust, there's always the problem with the extra bungie cords for securing the saddlebags : the saddlebags get squished like sh*t from the bungie tension destroying any already non-existent aerodynamics, plus, carrying capacity also suffers (obviously).

Don't know what the fook to do - besides getting the SLC-compatible bags from SW-motech that is (which they aren't that big capacity-wise as they're only 16.5lt each).

By the way, in case anyone's interested, the SLC side carriers are stupidly easy to install as you only have to remove the 2 screws of the passenger handles on each side and can be done in 5mins literally.

Think i've just wasted 150€/$ for the racks...

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 08-18-2018 at 11:16 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 05:29 PM

Garage
Just for you RC,
Returning from the garage following some experimentation with my delicious set of SW-Motech Blaze, I am sad to report that those either do not marry well with a pillion.
However, excluding the pillion, they're awesome.
If I place them for best fit as I usually do, the rear foot-pegs are not accessible. If I place them further back then yes it works but she'll be sitting on the Velcro strap.
I haven't tried placing the strap under the seat however If I did the bags would be close to or hit the silencer. Not good.

This may be cold comfort my dear friend, but I'm in the same predicament. I'm seriously considering a Multistrada as a third bike to replace her CBR300R which she no longer wants to ride.
Rosso Classico likes this.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Just for you RC,
Returning from the garage following some experimentation with my delicious set of SW-Motech Blaze, I am sad to report that those either do not marry well with a pillion.
However, excluding the pillion, they're awesome.
If I place them for best fit as I usually do, the rear foot-pegs are not accessible. If I place them further back then yes it works but she'll be sitting on the Velcro strap.
I haven't tried placing the strap under the seat however If I did the bags would be close to or hit the silencer. Not good.

This may be cold comfort my dear friend, but I'm in the same predicament. I'm seriously considering a Multistrada as a third bike to replace her CBR300R which she no longer wants to ride.
Always the gentleman Dar...Thanks man, i really appreciate it

Gave it a 2nd try and i think i'll be able to make it, sat on the pillion's part of the seat with the bags attached and the front velcro strap on top of the seat (with the 2nd sitting underneath it) and...it's OK and definitely doable, sure it's not as comfy as when you have the bike without them installed obviously but - again - it's OK, plus, with riding pants (padded on the hips) i don't think it's going to be that noticeable, will have to take a test ride tomorrow with the missus though just to be sure...

As for the MTS, well, it's not the bike, it's the available luggage options for each bike - or shall i say, the price in question for each available one...1800 for the Ducati bags for the Monster ? Are you [email protected] kidding me Ducati ? To be honest, they lowered the price down to JUST 1000 lately, still bullshit though.
Gotta be honest, i always was a naked bike kind of guy but i just got too friggin' lazy to deal with the sub-optimal shit regarding the touring options for them (i.e: panniers/brackets etc), i'm barely 40 but...unfortunately, i do see myself with a frigging ADV mastodon just for the ease of the whole thing you know ? With nakeds, it's either the lack of wind protection (duh), the location of our oil coolers (try to imagine passing through a non-expected dirt-road while touring on an M1200/diavel), the lack of real touring accessories etc etc, in the end, it's just an immense ball-ache...just today for example, when i was fiddling with the bungie cords, i was getting tired by the mere idea that i'll have to put some paint protection film around the sub-frame so that i can loop/tighten a bungie cord around it without [email protected] up the paint...nope.

Anyway, thanks for everything man, cheers
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 11:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Classico View Post
Always the gentleman Dar...Thanks man, i really appreciate it

Gave it a 2nd try and i think i'll be able to make it, sat on the pillion's part of the seat with the bags attached and the front velcro strap on top of the seat (with the 2nd sitting underneath it) and...it's OK and definitely doable, sure it's not as comfy as when you have the bike without them installed obviously but - again - it's OK, plus, with riding pants (padded on the hips) i don't think it's going to be that noticeable, will have to take a test ride tomorrow with the missus though just to be sure...

As for the MTS, well, it's not the bike, it's the available luggage options for each bike - or shall i say, the price in question for each available one...1800€ for the Ducati bags for the Monster ? Are you [email protected] kidding me Ducati ? To be honest, they lowered the price down to JUST 1000€ lately, still bullshit though.
Gotta be honest, i always was a naked bike kind of guy but i just got too friggin' lazy to deal with the sub-optimal shit regarding the touring options for them (i.e: panniers/brackets etc), i'm barely 40 but...unfortunately, i do see myself with a frigging ADV mastodon just for the ease of the whole thing you know ? With nakeds, it's either the lack of wind protection (duh), the location of our oil coolers (try to imagine passing through a non-expected dirt-road while touring on an M1200/diavel), the lack of real touring accessories etc etc, in the end, it's just an immense ball-ache...just today for example, when i was fiddling with the bungie cords, i was getting tired by the mere idea that i'll have to put some paint protection film around the sub-frame so that i can loop/tighten a bungie cord around it without [email protected] up the paint...nope.

Anyway, thanks for everything man, cheers
I went C-Bow and yes, they are apparent when nothing is on the bike, but it definitely eliminates anything going across the seat or under it. I'm actually going to see if I can use the Blaze bags as well as the Orbits (maybe at the same time! ) and then I'll have all bases covered. The Orbits are kinda on the small side for sure but I liked the fact I could lock them (and not just with a suitcase lock from the dollar store) or take them off in a jiffy. If they were half again as big, they'd be the cats ass!

I'd pay the asking price for the Ducati bags if they were legit hard bags a la Ninja SX/1000.

2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode