Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

BST carbon wheels?

14K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  77RRad 
#1 ·
Anyone with a Monster 1200 base/s/r using BST wheels?

Just wondering if they are worth the price and upgrade.

any info much appreciated!

#5 ·
Interesting thread.
I'm looking at the BST Rapid Tek as well. Not for the Monster as It has forged Machesini's but for my Panigale.
They can be ordered in Red Carbon Fiber and 5.5" wheels will be available soon.
I would be interested in a group buy if that could materialize.

https://www.catalogmachine.com/blackstone-tek/catalogs/template.html

#6 ·
I have persoonally seen the BST Rapid Teks in Gold, Green, Red, Matte, Satin and gloss.
The Golds look like a darker gold in the sunlight and a I don't wanna say brownish in the shade / low light.
Reds looik like a deep metallic blood red in the sun (badass red) but maroonish in the low light.
Green like a dark forest metallic green in the sun and a greenish tint in low light.
the Satin and matte..... if you looked at a matte wheel one day and satin the next you would think they are the same. if you look side by side there is a slight difference. maybe 15% more sheen.
The gloss looks gloss.
Compared to matte Rotobox wheel wheel and BST matte i think the BSTs look better.
the BST matte looks like the new Ducati performance carbon matte but you can also pull off satin if you are matching that as well as stuff like Carbon Vani matte carbon fiber.

#11 ·
I have no doubt about the improvement in having BST's over the Monster's cast wheels.
I have the Marchesini forged on my M1200R and at legal speeds, it out handles my Panigale 959 which has cast alu wheels.
I'm not sure if it's all because of the lighter wheels. Some or a lot could be attributable to the leverage provided by the Monster's wider handlebars.
Notwithstanding, those BST Rapidtek's are definitely on my radar for replacing any cast wheels on my next bike which may be a Multistrada 1260S.

About wheel weight:
I suspect however that there may not be that much difference between the M1200 "R's" Forged Marchesini's and the BST's to justify the purchase.
I would love to know the weight of the 2017 Monster cast wheels, the 2017 Monster "R" forged wheels and compare them to BST's.
However, getting accurate comparative wheel weighs is like "mission impossible".
Getting the wheel weight is one thing, but getting them all weighed the same way is another.
Some are weighed with or without; bearings, rotors, outside spacers, valve stems etc.
It's a dog's breakfast out there as wheels change from one or two Ducati model years to the next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.