Monster 1200S - High Oil consumption ? - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 15Likes

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:38 AM

Garage
I do regular leakdown tests...I'm around 94-95psi at 100psi...will get a puff of smoke initially when hitting full throttle but it might be unburnt fuel...either way if I'm not aggressive I won't notice any oil loss...but when I'm hammering it for hours I know to check

For what it's worth I read the desmosedici uses 1liter per 300 miles

Last edited by Buhgaboo; 03-07-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UglyBastard View Post
My 1100 doesn't burn a drop, so I don't accept that as being normal for a larger engine.
Hey Ugly ! (no pun intended )

Mister Ducati knows his stuff but - i don't know - it also seems exaggerated to me that these bikes (M1200/821 etc) would burn through all that oil THAT quick...
My 796 also didn't burn a drop, just changed the oil every 6000Kms and i was good to go, never had to worry about topping-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
I do regular leakdown tests...I'm around 94-95psi at 100psi...will get a puff of smoke initially when hitting full throttle but it might be unburnt fuel...either way if I'm not aggressive I won't notice any oil loss...but when I'm hammering it for hours I know to check

For what it's worth I read the desmosedici uses 1liter per 300 miles
Buhga, it's a D16, that's to be expected as it's a pure-bred racing machine, the fact though that yours or mine - "civilian" vehicles if you like would have this kind of consumption, yeah...

I'd really like to see other guys in here with newer motors chiming in, it's not that i don't trust Mr.Ducati - far from it - but again, say that i want to do a 6000+ Km Euro trip, what then ? Am i supposed to bring extra oil with me ? Don't know guys, it doesn't sound that normal to me.

If this is indeed normal within accepted parameters then i'd be OK, i'm worried though about the worst since there's many post with horror stories on .ms amongst other forums, basically, i'm trying to be proactive and not have the motor dying on me and/or needing opening later.

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 03-07-2018 at 08:10 AM.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:24 PM

I have a 2014 M1200 with 26K+ miles and I have never had to top it off in 3 years. I run Motul 7100 full synthetic and change the oil every 3K miles (old school like my cars i guess).
Rosso Classico likes this.

2014 Monster 1200
2014 HD Softail Slim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRodriguez View Post
I have a 2014 M1200 with 26K+ miles and I have never had to top it off in 3 years. I run Motul 7100 full synthetic and change the oil every 3K miles (old school like my cars i guess).

Α 1200 that doesn't burn a drop and a 821 that burns as much as a 1200 (mine) so far...

Yeah, something's weird here 'cause unless user X is always redlining while user Y stays below the 5000RPM mark and rides like your typical Harley rider barely cruising...

Aaaaaand now i'm getting worried again.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Garage
Original owner? How did break in go? I rarely go below 6k rpm once in the mountains...search buhgaboo in YouTube for my channel to see my abuse...a leakdown test would tell you where your getting your oil burn from too
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
Original owner? How did break in go? I rarely go below 6k rpm once in the mountains...search buhgaboo in YouTube for my channel to see my abuse...a leakdown test would tell you where your getting your oil burn from too
Got it 2nd hand brother so i wouldn't really know.
I've seen your videos - nice ohlins btw

Again, here's the thing : one person says " mine doesn't burn a drop" while another one "mine burns up a lot" - and while i get what Mr.Ducati is saying, it boggles my mind how is this supposed to be normal or acceptable, again, in the case of - say - the MTS950, i mean, it's supposed to be a TOURING bike, you know, you get on it and you do a 10-day 6000+ Km trip, what then ? Are you supposed to be topping up every 1000Km ? Don't know but that doesn't sound exactly normal.
Forget the MTS950, what about our bikes ? OK, yeah, mine is 1200cc, what about yours ? You have a 800cc motor burning 300+ ml's of oil every 1000Km, does that sound "normal" to you good man ?

I'll be honest gents and be the 1st to admit that i'm a complete stranger to everything mechanical, i'm just a dude that enjoys riding but this amount of oil consumption seems extremely suspect.

Think i'll drop it a the dealer tomorrow 'cause this whole thing is doing my head in.
So, what to check besides the sparkplugs and airfilter/box ?

Thanks

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 03-07-2018 at 02:11 PM.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:37 PM

Hey Rosso,

I hear the concern, I know it well!! How confident/scientific do you feel about the parameters in your scenario. For example, how full was it from the service and is that the same level to which you filled it? Not suggesting they missed or that it accounts for a variance of 1L, however I could easily see that accounting for a variance of 300ml or maybe more. Additionally, in my anecdotal, non-mechanic-guy experiences, when my oil has got a little too low, it starts to go at a little faster rate! Again, not saying this simply accounts for your 1L variance, but possibly the oil was down a little after service - no, say it's not true, the service dept always get it correct!! - then you have a spirited ride or two, burn a little more, then its a bit low and burning a little faster...etc. Food for thought though not for confidence, right?!

If I was the service tech when you brought it in AND I wanted to do you a legit solid, it would have to be a full oil and filter change strictly measured and completed by an experienced tech. Then you can ride the bike for 1k or 2k, bring it back and that specific tech would have to check it and adjust the oil to his filling style. Need to get some consistent parameters in there for real measurement.

Good luck and keep us posted!

2009 1100S Termi slip-ons, hi-comp pistons
2012 M796 (Tree'd)
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 03:05 PM

Garage
Another thing just occurred to me is how much engine braking do you do...becuz that does have a tendency to suck oil up through the rings.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned673 View Post
Hey Rosso,

I hear the concern, I know it well!! How confident/scientific do you feel about the parameters in your scenario. For example, how full was it from the service and is that the same level to which you filled it? Not suggesting they missed or that it accounts for a variance of 1L, however I could easily see that accounting for a variance of 300ml or maybe more. Additionally, in my anecdotal, non-mechanic-guy experiences, when my oil has got a little too low, it starts to go at a little faster rate! Again, not saying this simply accounts for your 1L variance, but possibly the oil was down a little after service - no, say it's not true, the service dept always get it correct!! - then you have a spirited ride or two, burn a little more, then its a bit low and burning a little faster...etc. Food for thought though not for confidence, right?!

If I was the service tech when you brought it in AND I wanted to do you a legit solid, it would have to be a full oil and filter change strictly measured and completed by an experienced tech. Then you can ride the bike for 1k or 2k, bring it back and that specific tech would have to check it and adjust the oil to his filling style. Need to get some consistent parameters in there for real measurement.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Hey Ned, thanks for the input mate

Oil level was A-OK and within normal levels at the 15000Km service.
I also check it every now and then so it can't be that the guys at the dealership didn't fill the motor properly.

I'll have to ask again about oil consumption during heavy city traffic riding though :
Since September '17 and up until now (march '18 ) and due to either a lack of riding buddies and/or extremely bad weather, all of my Km's were done in-city with high traffic at low RPM's (obviously) - could that be the cause for the high oil consumption ?
Yeah, it's a 1200cc motor so gas consumption is high in stop'n'go traffic (9.5lt/100Km lol) but besides gas, does it also have an impact on oil consumption ?

@ Buhg : Nothing weird/crazy man, just the usual as i didn't push the bike or anything since i've just being city-riding.

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 03-08-2018 at 06:12 AM.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:02 AM

Ok Gents.
Let`s see if I can help - Never compare the oil consumption between engine styles such as a Monster 1100 vs Monster 1200.
The 1100 being a two valve air cooled engine will have high tension piston rings vs the Low Tension rings on the 1200 ( the higher the tension - the lower the blow by)
The 1100 is a low rpm engine vs the 1200 a higher revving engine ( the higher you rev the more chance that the rings will float against the cylinder wall`s and loose oil control.
None of our bike`s have similar oil consumption rate`s going by model and year.
In your case just to be sure - have a Tech do a proper leak down test ( the test should show no more than 10% loss - preferably less than 5%) an engine will still run normally with a 20% loss but it will be down on power.
Also have the tech look for sand or oil in the airbox ( requires removing the air filter and looking inside the airbox)
On a side note - an engine could have only a 10% loss but still burn oil like a siff if the oil rings are damaged or improperly installed
An engine will burn oil if the cylinder wall`s are glazed from improper breakin when new.
There are many factors involved in making an engine burn oil - one example ( you have done something to make the engine run rich in fuel, this would result in washing the cylinders with raw fuel and resulting in premature wear).
Look for signs of blue colored smoke when starting the engine - if this is evident only upon starting the engine for a few seconds then this is a sign of either worn valve guides or damaged valve stem seals.
If she smokes black when accelerating then this is due to too much fuel and will damage the engine in the long run.
If she smokes blue when accelerating then this is due to cylinder wall damage.
All in all there are so many many things to consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode