M1200R Sound - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

M1200R Sound

Hello everyone.

I have had my 2016 Monster R for about 9 months now, and think its the best bike I've ever owned. Power, stability, brakes - awesome! The only issue I have with the bike is the sound. It sounds kind of like my tractor through the first three gears. I almost think its sounds like it has a bad exhaust leak? Of course I still have the factory exhaust so this could be improved with an aftermarket exhaust. My question to you Monster veterans out there are:

1. Would an aftermarket exhaust correct/cover up the engine noise and make the bike sound supremely better? Or just louder?

2. If so, seeing that there are only about 3 popular aftermarket exhausts, which one would you recommend?

Thanks for any feedback/response.

Ben

2106 M1200R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 AM

1. This is subjective, but my answer is yes. It will make the bike sound better. I just got a 2016 also and I rode on the stock exhaust for a month. It didnít sound bad, but exhaust is the first thing I always change on my bikes. For me, the exhaust is what really makes the bike fully alive. I donít know what engine noise you speak of specifically though.

2. There are a lot of options out there for exhaust. It comes down to your personal style, budget, and how you think a particular exhaust will sound. A lot of guys do SC projects, termis (always sound great), and a lot of other random brands. If you search you will see whatís out there. I personally went with a titanium spark exhaust, but that was because I wanted to do something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Just to be a little clearer about the engine noise, it has a lot of valve train noise (ticking) - maybe its the "Testastretta sound" and I'm not used to it? And the exhaust has a more "blat" sound like an exhaust leak (though I can't find one)

Ben

2106 M1200R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:44 AM
bht

Garage
termis are the answer imho. sound so good, throaty and not too loud at all. i left baffles in. my r runs so smoothly and shifting is so short and smooth. i feel like you as this is the best bike iíve had. so fast so smooth and the termis only enhance the experience. as far as engine noise, i donít find it objectionable or too much. i noticed no difference with the sound or ďtickingĒ of the valves or of the motor. we may just listen and hear differently. get them. you wonít be sorry.

Monster 1200 R
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bht View Post
termis are the answer imho. sound so good, throaty and not too loud at all. i left baffles in. my r runs so smoothly and shifting is so short and smooth. i feel like you as this is the best bike iíve had. so fast so smooth and the termis only enhance the experience. as far as engine noise, i donít find it objectionable or too much. i noticed no difference with the sound or ďtickingĒ of the valves or of the motor. we may just listen and hear differently. get them. you wonít be sorry.

Thatís why I say itís personal opinion. I had a 1200s with full termis on it and I never put the baffle in. The exhaust I have on my 1200r didnít even come with baffles. But thatís just me.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 04:55 PM

Garage
I can't say I had the same reaction to the stock exhaust on my 1200s, but I do get complements on the sound of my Akra slip-on and I think it sounds great bouncing off the buildings during my commute through the city (not necessarily the looks though...). I do miss the double note from the stock exhaust and if the Termis weren't so damn expensive I would have gone with them instead of the slip-on. The Akra also solved part of the 'not enough room for my big feet on this bike' problem, so I'm not sure if that would have been an issue with the Termis. In the end, my extra money went into re-springing/valving the the suspension for my lard ass instead of the exhaust at the time of purchase.

Sometimes you have to just let the arrow fly...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 11:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorheadBen View Post
Hello everyone.
My question to you Monster veterans out there are:
1. Would an aftermarket exhaust correct/cover up the engine noise and make the bike sound supremely better? Or just louder?
2. If so, seeing that there are only about 3 popular aftermarket exhausts, which one would you recommend?
Ben
I concur with what @696DCRider wrote, It's personal. For me:
1) I wanted carbon on a black monster
2) Didn’t care for a two-one-two exhaust which must be removed to access the rear wheel. It's also heavier.
3) Termi's are "priced stupid".

The SC-Project Carbon filled all my needs plus I can install the baffle if need be in less than 2 seconds as it's retained by a "C" clip.
Sounds amazing.

See photos in garage

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)

Last edited by DarR; 10-28-2017 at 11:25 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:45 AM

Garage
I snapped last night and bid on new Termi slipons on fleabay. I "won" them for US$860, which is still stupid for slipons, but it's better than the CDN$2000 plus 13% the dealer is charging. Now I just have to let the dealer diddle me to put the upmap on.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:42 AM

Garage
@Brianq103 That's a great buy. Can you get the upmap key from the seller as you can legitimately transfer it to your bike?
If you don't, your dealer can't help you. On that note, I'm in serious in discussion with Rexxer right now for a re-flash and will keep you and the rest of the forum members updated.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
@Brianq103 That's a great buy. Can you get the upmap key from the seller as you can legitimately transfer it to your bike?
If you don't, your dealer can't help you. On that note, I'm in serious in discussion with Rexxer right now for a re-flash and will keep you and the rest of the forum members updated.
That included the upmap key, which was a key (hehe) point in my going after this particular one. There are many on ebay that do not.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode