Monster 1200S exhaust pop problem - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Monster 1200S exhaust pop problem

Hello,

So I've been having an issue with excessive popping coming from my exhaust. I have a 2014 monster 1200s with termi tips.

I brought it to a local garage, they said they would reseal the exhaust. They did (twice) and when I picked it up the second time the garage pointed out that they noticed air coming out of the mid pipe and the seal is as good as they can get it.

I then brought it to an actual dealer. They said they checked it out and test drove it and said it was fine... Which I'm skeptical about.

I'm not an expert at this but I have a few questions. I have a feeling the techs didn't properly check my bike...

1 - What does a monster 1200s exhaust look like and how many separate parts are there? There is a separate header pipe, mid pipe, then exhaust cans, right? I got a snarky remark that the only place my exhaust can leak is from the mid pipe to the muffler. Is that correct? What about the headers to the mid pipe?

2 - Can this be related to the O2 censor?

3 - Can this be a mapping issue? When I boot it up it does say racing.

4 - Anyone deal with ducati NYC? If they know someone who really cares about customer service would be nice.

This is the email I got back from ducati NYC service manager when I expressed that there could be other places the pipe can leak from....

Service manager: These guys looked at me like I had 10 heads when I told them that story.... There is one place your exhaust can leak from and that's where the muffler attaches to the mid pipe... and it's not. NO clue what they sealed or saw but we can't identify any problems.

Please help! I'm going to pickup my bike in a day and I feel like if I'm not prepared, I'm going to lose out.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 AM

I doubt the mid pipe to pipe joint can leak, but isn't it possible to leak at the head ? Also an intake leak can cause popping. Was that checked ? I have found when taking a bike to a mechanic it's best not to self diagnose. In other words, rather than tell them to check for exhaust leaks because it's popping, it's better to tell them to fix the popping. Now you've told two mechanics to check for leaks, and the bike still pops, which is what you really wanted them to fix, but you didn't ask them to fix the popping. Capiche ?

07 S4RS, 96 900 SS, 06 Busa, 77 Bonny, 00 Superglide, 78 SR500, 85 Sportster
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:30 AM
bht

Garage
If you're sure there's a leak and it's NOT a mapping issue there is a great Ducati dealer not so far from the city. It's New Haven Powersports in CT-(203) 562-3900. John is their top wrench and will fix your bike. Do you have the map key? They are very easy to deal with. i know it's a bit of a ride from the city (1.5hrs or so up 95) but it might be worth it-it's less than 100 miles so most insurance towing is covered one way. JMHO. Best of luck.

Monster 1200 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:36 AM

Garage
I agree with what Duc96cr is saying. It's much more likely the cause of the popping is a lean condition which would caused by an intake leak in this scenario, not an exhaust leak. It's also a bad idea to share your diagnosis with the shop as they may only try to prove you wrong, not fix the problem; the two are mutually exclusive. Check the filter seat and check to make sure you don't have someway for air to get past the filter. The other possibility is a corruption in the software, in which case a reload of the software may resolve the issue. But don't suggest these things right off; if the bike is still not working correctly ask them if they did them after the fact and if not, why not.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:45 AM

I had a similar issue in my towing truck which I was used for 24-hour Roadside Assistance, but i make that fixed from the workshop i didn't try by myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode