2014 Ducati Monster 1200s Start up by itself - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Buhgaboo

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2014 Ducati Monster 1200s Start up by itself

So i decided to wash my bike... everything was fine...

until, without the key and kill switch was on, the bike would magically start up by itself.. the piston would be firing off by itself.. sorry not very good with the terms.. only way to cut the bike off was by removing the battery asap. anyone encountered this before?

is there a fix somewhere for this? i have checked the cables, they werent burnt. or where are the common parts that water enters and short circuits the bike?

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:33 AM

Garage
Wow I have never heard that before. Usually it's the other way and the bike won't start. Was the key anyware near the ignition when this happened?

I'm guessing you somehow got water in connectors to your right controls. Or under the tank and into the ecu. But without the key the immobilizer should have prevented this as well.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 AM

Garage
It's haunted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:12 PM

Garage
That's very weird, the kill switch should prevent it to start. Perhaps as bassat said, if water got somewhere in the controllers give it a time to dry off and try again. If it works, try to cover your controllers/ingnition switch when you wash the bike again, also, don't feed her after midnight

Last edited by Nomad; 09-08-2017 at 01:17 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 07:13 PM

Get a hair dryer and dry all your electrical system. Hopefully that will undo whatever you did.

07 S4RS, 96 900 SS, 06 Busa, 77 Bonny, 00 Superglide, 78 SR500, 85 Sportster
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 12:42 AM

Garage
Had this happen with my Wrangler... Snow was melting and the salt spray allowed it to arc across the starter relay... Being a Jeep, it could start in gear ...I was finding my Jeep in the darnedest of places ... took forever for the dealer to believe me... eventually issued a recall. l would check to see if something has fallen off around the area your spraying... definitely look at the starter wires around the relay
1UglyBastard and Brianq103 like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
Had this happen with my Wrangler... Snow was melting and the salt spray allowed it to arc across the starter relay... Being a Jeep, it could start in gear ...I was finding my Jeep in the darnedest of places ... took forever for the dealer to believe me... eventually issued a recall. l would check to see if something has fallen off around the area your spraying... definitely look at the starter wires around the relay
That Jeep thing would have driven me insane! Guaranteed my ex would have blamed aliens for that one!

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassat5000 View Post
Wow I have never heard that before. Usually it's the other way and the bike won't start. Was the key anyware near the ignition when this happened?

I'm guessing you somehow got water in connectors to your right controls. Or under the tank and into the ecu. But without the key the immobilizer should have prevented this as well.
yeah the key was no where near the ignition. yeah thank god, my mechanic found out the problem, water must have sipped into the ignition switch. nothing else was burned though, thank god. getting the aftermarket starter switches now, definitely much better; well i mean it's a 2014 bike, eventually parts need replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode