Dropped new Monster 1200 R - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 16Likes

post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
bht

Garage
Dropped new Monster 1200 R

well i was at a stoplight and i fell over on my bike. don't know why but i lost balance at a stand still. needless to say i am sick. tank has a slight dent, no scratches. how much is a new tank? right mirror, right foot peg and brake pedal, rear exhaust bracket and peg, bar end, exhaust header has a scratch and silencer has a scratch. i was shocked as i kept falling over. a driver helped my get it up and i rode away. 1 week old and now this. oh well, gotta live with it. getting it towed to dealer this morning. can't wait to see how much and how long. of coarse i have insurance but what about the time to get the parts and fix it? still sick over it.
GBH likes this.

Monster 1200 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 06:35 AM

Garage
If they replace...my estimate is 3200.00

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:06 AM

I'm assuming you didn't have sliders on? They would have probably saved at least your tank damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leeeeen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
bht

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 696DCRider View Post
I'm assuming you didn't have sliders on? They would have probably saved at least your tank damage.

no sliders but the tank was barely hit-just a slight dent i did not see at first it was so small - by the switch housing on the handlebar-where "A" on ducati is not on the widest part of the tank. i don't think sliders would have helped there because the bars extended for a second. the bike was "saved" by the bars being straight as it fell and the brake lever stuck out far to soften the blow. it just bent so far for a second, that the switch housing hit the tank. i drove it and it drove straight so i don't think there is any problem with the front end. we'll see when it's towed to the dealer and they access the situation.

Monster 1200 R
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 AM

Garage
So sorry to read. This may be cold comfort, but most of us have dropped our bike at one point in time. Most often as a result of unfamiliarity or just plain old carelessness rushing the bike out of the garage. I'm personally guilty on both counts. The M1200R is a tall bike...at least relative to the Diavel you were previously riding which may require a adaptation period necessitating extra focus for awhile.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
bht

Garage
thanks for your wisdom. i dropped 1 harley and this bike in decades of riding. it is taller than the xds for sure. i have a 30" inseam so the adjustment is truly needed. i'll have to be more aware of leaning stopped.

Monster 1200 R
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:48 AM

Garage
Dropped mine in the parking lot at work. Apparently the kickstand needs to be ALL the way out before you lean the bike over!

I got my buddy to take out the fairly severe ding in the tank and repaint it. CDN$350 to do it and WAYYYY better paint quality than the stock. I also got him to paint the 80's style Ducati emblem on the tank instead of going for CDN$100 in stickers. I had bar end mirrors, so I smashed the left one to smithereens but since I got them for 10 bucks a set I bought a couple of sets and had it swapped out as soon as I got home. Of note, I have the 60mm Rizoma risers on the bike and I believe they allowed the bars to twist more easily, which caused more damage to the tank. I want even higher risers just so the bars clear the GD tank in case of this happening again!
Rosso Classico likes this.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
So sorry to read. This may be cold comfort, but most of us have dropped our bike at one point in time. Most often as a result of unfamiliarity or just plain old carelessness rushing the bike out of the garage. I'm personally guilty on both counts. The M1200R is a tall bike...at least relative to the Diavel you were previously riding which may require a adaptation period necessitating extra focus for awhile.
PPBBFFFTTT. Never dropped the Monster. Have dropped the FJ09 once and crashed it on a dirt road in a mud puddle that was more mud than puddle.

I think the problem is a respect issue.

Helpful part of post, bht, you can look up part prices here. https://www.ducatiomaha.com/pages/ducati-oem-parts

Also how to pickup a bike, especially a tall/top heavy one. Granted, IMHO, if it's a Hardley, one should just leave it. Maybe set it on fire to make sure it never is rubber side down again.
Chico666 likes this.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 09:01 AM

Garage
The only thing better than dropping your bike to the right while walking it out of the garage is to fall over it and damaging the gas tank on the left.
350LCjohnny likes this.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)

Last edited by DarR; 08-21-2017 at 09:24 AM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianq103 View Post
Dropped mine in the parking lot at work. Apparently the kickstand needs to be ALL the way out before you lean the bike over!

I got my buddy to take out the fairly severe ding in the tank and repaint it. CDN$350 to do it and WAYYYY better paint quality than the stock. I also got him to paint the 80's style Ducati emblem on the tank instead of going for CDN$100 in stickers. I had bar end mirrors, so I smashed the left one to smithereens but since I got them for 10 bucks a set I bought a couple of sets and had it swapped out as soon as I got home. Of note, I have the 60mm Rizoma risers on the bike and I believe they allowed the bars to twist more easily, which caused more damage to the tank. I want even higher risers just so the bars clear the GD tank in case of this happening again!
Guys, the bars touching the tank and therefore denting it has always been a problem with the monsters - even those of yore which is...idiotic to say the least, i mean, on other bikes, a small static drop usually results in mirror/levers/pegs scraping which can be replaced with minimum $/€, on the monster though ? Fuck it, you have to repair the dent, paint the whole friggin tank and if you have the 2014-2016 M1200/S ? Have fun giving another 150-ish dollars/euros for those embossed stickers.

Which brings me to : i'm amazed that Brian actually put higher risers and still managed to damage the tank, the whole problem is due to the risers being low therefore making it easy for the handlebar to touch the tank, something which should be alleviated by installing higher ones, strange...Oh well

PS : Would crashpads/frame sliders help in this situation or not ?

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 08-21-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode