Size of mirror/reservoir bolts and turn direction - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
bht

Garage
Size of mirror/reservoir bolts and turn direction

i just got a monster 1200 r and am getting bar end mirrors. i have read that the threading on one side of the mirror bolts is reverse. i've never come up upon this on any of my other bikes. i will need to remove the mirrors and get bolts a little shorter to hold down the reservoirs. does anyone know the size of these bolts and is one a reverse thread. i figure they're 10mm or 8mm. thanks for your help.

Monster 1200 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:42 PM

Garage
bht:

Indeed, the right mirror has left hand thread. I installed the Rizoma Spy-R mirrors but I couldn't find replacement bolts and I didn't want to cut them in case I wanted to go back (for whatever reason) to the stock mirrors. I tried with plastic trim holders but they weren't firm enough, so I used some spacers that came with the Rizoma mirrors, washers and the stock bolts to keep the reservoirs in place. It's not the cleanest solution but it works fine. I went to a dealer and ask for the bolts but they didn't have them so I let them be, maybe you can order a spare set and cut the originals but not sure how much thread will be left since it doesn't go all the way up. Here's a pic of how mine look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	208490  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
bht

Garage
thank you Nomad. i called my dealer and they told me the bolts were regular. what is the purpose of a left hand thread? i just spoke to my ducati parts guy in ford and he said just take the bolt and put it in the chuck of a drill and cut it. be careful-it's hot. we can always order factory ones if we decide to put factory mirrors back on. i ordered the spy r's too. thank god you answered or i might have snapped a bolt trying to get my mirrors off. i also figured if i could not get the right bolts i would use washers as well. your's does not look bad but i know we both would rather have the right length bolt so it would look nice. i'm going there next week to have my termis installed so if they have the right bolts, i'll get a couple for you and let you know. they claim they will have the right one's. they also told me to take the mirrors off with regular turns so i'm not sure. the mechanic that works on my ducatis is really good so i know he will do it right. thanks again for your reply. i'll let you know.

Monster 1200 R

Last edited by bht; 08-15-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:18 PM

Garage
I went to eBay and searched for M8 left thread socket bolt. I think I paid $3 including shipping for the two stainless ones I bought. One left thread and one right thread.

Andrew

2017 Liquid Cesspool Grey Monster 1200S - a 2016 BMW Triple Black R1200GSw - a 2008 Bonnie Black (soon to be scrambler!)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
bht

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDerek View Post
I went to eBay and searched for M8 left thread socket bolt. I think I paid $3 including shipping for the two stainless ones I bought. One left thread and one right thread.
thank you. what was the length? someone suggested to me to just cut the factory one's down. i told him i have no vice. he said just put the bolt in a drill chuck and cut it. a no vise solution. i appreciate your info.

Monster 1200 R
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 05:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bht View Post
thank you. what was the length? someone suggested to me to just cut the factory one's down. i told him i have no vice. he said just put the bolt in a drill chuck and cut it. a no vise solution. i appreciate your info.
I bought 16mm and put a small 8mm spacer I had in my tool box on each of the bolts

Link

Andrew

2017 Liquid Cesspool Grey Monster 1200S - a 2016 BMW Triple Black R1200GSw - a 2008 Bonnie Black (soon to be scrambler!)

Last edited by DesmoDerek; 08-16-2017 at 12:27 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
bht

Garage
thank you!

Monster 1200 R
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:17 PM

I bought one from the dealer for about 4 or 5 $ and cut it with a regular hand saw ... took about one minute to cut
an still have the original in case of need.
They figure that with the inverted bolt if your mirror hits something it will just unwind instead of breaking the base or bolt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5769.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	208498

Cheers
Sonic Duck and DarR like this.

on the ground a Big 18 wheeler
In the air a Huge 747...
Monster 1200
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 11:29 PM

Garage
Can do a few things.
Motowheels sells shorter aluminum bolts regular tread and reverse thread and can order 1 of each or you can order another clutch side mount so both sides will now be regular thread and order the shorter regular aluminum bolts from Motowheels.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 06:27 AM

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode