radiator guard 1200 r - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 5Likes

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bht View Post
thanks guys. i put one on my xdiavel after getting a few dings so maybe i will get the evotech for radiator and maybe oil too. it's just more money as i've got termis, NRC tidy coming next week with a few other goodies from rizoma & ducati. it's a money pit after just 5 days of owning. lol. i do love it though.
Ι know what you're saying my good man but, it will only happen ONCE, and when and if it does you're going to be fooked - especially on a long trip, besides, have you looked at how much a new radiator costs ?

Pro-tip : if you get the FULL guard set from Evotech (Radiator+H.cylinder+oil cooler) you're bound to save a couple of dollars/, thing is, the oil cooler already has an OEM guard and the H.cylinder doesn't really need one as both on my previous M796 and the 1200 i've never noticed any debris scrapes etc, so, you only really need the radiator guard.

XDiavel eh ? It's probably going to be my next bike if and when Ducati decides to A) release a model with center foot controls as standard and B) new liveries, a black-red one like the Diavel carbon red's would work wonders.

Did you put any miles/Km's on it before selling it ? If so, i'd be curious to read a comparison between it and your new M1200R.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Classico View Post
Ι know what you're saying my good man but, it will only happen ONCE, and when and if it does you're going to be fooked - especially on a long trip, besides, have you looked at how much a new radiator costs ?
Cheers

Pish.

https://www.amazon.com/Bars-Leaks-11.../dp/B002696FA2

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 07:52 PM

After finding out what the fuss is on a radiator guard I bought one for my 1200s. COX seems to have a good price.

I was surprised that it looked like a trash can siding with zip ties.

So I told a buddy and what he did was buy a trash can aluminum and cut it up to fill his radiator's front and zip tied it.

He made 2 from a trash can for a couple of bikes.

here are the trash cans that im talking about

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...mesh+trash+can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
bht

Garage
Quote:

Pro-tip : if you get the FULL guard set from Evotech (Radiator+H.cylinder+oil cooler) you're bound to save a couple of dollars/, thing is, the oil cooler already has an OEM guard and the H.cylinder doesn't really need one as both on my previous M796 and the 1200 i've never noticed any debris scrapes etc, so, you only really need the radiator guard.

XDiavel eh ? It's probably going to be my next bike if and when Ducati decides to A) release a model with center foot controls as standard and B) new liveries, a black-red one like the Diavel carbon red's would work wonders.

Did you put any miles/Km's on it before selling it ? If so, i'd be curious to read a comparison between it and your new M1200R.

Cheers
i put only 2k miles in 10 months on the xds. the day after i bought it, i was informed of 3 recalls on the bike. feels real good spending 24k then 3 recalls. i then discovered that the engine ran rough under 3k rpm's. transmission was long throws and plenty of false neutrals. ok i still lived with these things but the variable timing was not for me. the engine shook and burped around a corner in second so i started going down to first for turning intersections. then, in winter i went for a ride and lost rear brakes-fixed by bleeding them. the last straw was a rock in the drive pulley belt. i then found out the pulley needed to be replaced too. $1500! i've owned harley's collectively over 40,000 miles with not one belt or pulley failure. that was the end for me and my x. i know they are all not that bad but i would be careful if i were you. i only ride clean streets, not in rain and no gravel. i know rocks can be on clean roads but i figured, my luck would be another $1500 some time after repairing. lol. i tried the monster and really felt connected and the motor was smoother and the transmission was easier and a shorter throw changing gears. bam, i bought it. good luck if you get one. i think you'll need it. it is a beautiful bike but i've learned, again, not to buy first year motor vehicles. expensive lesson for me.

Monster 1200 R
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
After finding out what the fuss is on a radiator guard I bought one for my 1200s. COX seems to have a good price.

I was surprised that it looked like a trash can siding with zip ties.

So I told a buddy and what he did was buy a trash can aluminum and cut it up to fill his radiator's front and zip tied it.

He made 2 from a trash can for a couple of bikes.

here are the trash cans that im talking about

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...mesh+trash+can
Better buy the nickel one or it'll rust. You could go with the rattan one, I suppose...
Quantum likes this.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:06 PM

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
bht

Garage
Quote:

Cheers
hi-this is the 3rd time i've tried to answer your question on my xdiavel s. i put about 2,000miles on it in 10 months with 5 of those put away for winter. 3 days last fall after bought the xds there were 3 recalls. i thought not the greatest sign for the bike. i then rode it for 6 weeks before my first service and noticed the engine ran rough under 2700rpm, the rear brake was not the best. i turned corners in first so as not to vibrate the hell out of the bike. transmission was a long throw to gears and not so smooth. a radiator guard is a must on this bike. the radiator is lower and i got a few dings on the radiator. i first noticed and got an evotech radiator guard. the oil has one already. the final straw, for me was a rock went through my drive belt and chipped the pully teeth. bad design of belt guard i think. $1500, no warranty. i've had quite a few harley's with at least 40,000 collectively-no belt problems. i figured my time was up on the xds because i drive only on clean roads, no gravel (i know rocks can be anywhere) so this would happen to me again-then another $1500. just make sure you get a hell of a deal, if you get one. maybe 2018 will have a few improvements. the variable timing is probably the reason for rough engine. i'd figure on a cruiser, smoothness is of high importance. i've got 250 miles on my 1200 r and the engine is oh so smooth and the transmission is so smooth, short throw changing gears and just a better running bike. that's just mho. best of luck when you get one, if.

Monster 1200 R
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 AM

I live about a mile down a dirt road. I bought guards for both radiators on my S4RS as soon as I could. I notice quite a few dings in the guards since I installed them so it was a good purchase for me.

07 S4RS, 96 900 SS, 06 Busa, 77 Bonny, 00 Superglide, 78 SR500, 85 Sportster
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Well duh, he *welded* it. Stay away from that witchcraft. Just dump a bottle of goop in and problem solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode