Motodemic LED headlight conversion kit M1200 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nomad
  • 1 Post By TL's Monster796

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Motodemic LED headlight conversion kit M1200

Since nobody has written anything about it, here's my two cents:

Why I bought it?:

I like the round headlamp look and the modern design of the led headlamps, the adaptive lamp is awesome but kinda pricey. So I opted for the standard LED lamp which is also a good design and quality from JW Speaker (more on that later).

The round bucket can acomodate other LED headlamps as long as they comply with the PAR56 standard, so future changes or upgrades are a possibility.

I like the cafe fighter look that my bike is getting, I'm also putting a drag bar on it so it fits nicely. Also thinking on putting back the DP widshield since it seems to go better with the round lamp.

Price

Yes, it's kind pricey, mostly related to the adaptive headlight. I really like the technology on it but I chose to save the dough and use it to get the drag bar, pegs and grips to complete the look. Overall, I beleive it's worth it.

Fit and finish

It's really good, all the parts are really well made and fit perfecty on the bike, it's totally a plug and play install. The lamp is also already wired to fit the OEM harness so no wire splicing or other shady stuff.

The Ducati Performance LED turn signals fit in the bucket bracket with no issues. I'm glad I can keep those, although looks wise, smaller leds would be nicer. Maybe later...

Installation

As I said before it's plug & play, Motodemic does not provide printed instructions, but the tutorials they have on their website or YouTube are spot on. No special tools are required and they provide a couple of allen keys to work with. The lamp just clicks in with the OEM harness and that's it. The only thing you'll loose is the parking lights option but I never used it anyway so it's fine.

Comparison with OEM lamp

As I said before, the OEM lamp was not totally of my liking, and for sure the LED light output is way better than the stock lamp. I haven't run it at night yet but I'll try it soon.

Size wise is a bit smaller but because of the bucket and mounting design, it protrudes more to the front of the bike, so the look is not as streamlined as the OEM but it works for me (pics below)

Overall Quality

The kit is really good, the finish of the bracketry is great and everything fits like it should. The only issue I found so far was with the lamp itself. One of the small side leds that should turn on with the high beam is not working, since this is a JW Speaker lamp I hope they can tell me what the problem is.

I already contacted them and I'm waiting for a workaround or solution to it, so no points taken off, yet.

This is a great option if you like the look (which can be a bit polarizing) and an improvement over the OEM lamp. Very well made and has potential for further customization in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	207594   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	207602   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	207610   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	207618  
350LCjohnny likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Garage
Yep I think that it looks soo much better

If the beam pattern is good and it doesnt glare into the eyes of oncoming traffic - i may just spend the money

Jon G
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
As long as the lamp is properly aligned it should be ok to avoid glaring incoming traffic. Still looking for an excuse to ride at night and test it tough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 12:16 PM

I put this same kit on my 796 a couple winters ago and have had 0 regrets since. The light output is FAR superior, the LED low is stronger and with a far better pattern than the stock HIGH. I haven't experienced the spotty, broken beam that I had come accustomed to with the stocker.

The only issue that I had with the project was that when I went to put my signals in they were 10mm and the holes in the bracket were 8mm. Took the brackets to a local shop (I don't have a drill press and I wanted it done RIGHT) they drilled out the holes and didn't even charge me!

Easy install if you watch the videos 1-2 times, goes together as it should and then it's just a matter of tidying the wires up behind your new, EFFECTIVE HL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1117[1].jpg
Views:	313
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	207674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118[1].jpg
Views:	168
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	207690  
350LCjohnny likes this.

2011 Monster 796- Pearl White
Custom painted #81 Bikini Fairing (removed)
Motodemic HL Conversion w/ Evo2 LED HL
Arrow Slip-Ons- Black w/ Carbon Tips
Rizoma Bars & Clamps- Black
Powdercoated Top Triple
Pazzo Shorty Levers- "Limited Ed" White w/ Red Adjs
Driven D3 Grips- Red
Bar End Mirrors- Red
Atomic Fender Eliminator
Motodynamics LED tail light w/ Integrated Signals
Barracuda Idea front LED Signals
14T front sproket
Sargent Seat
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quick update:

The replacement lamp arrived and everything is perfect now, customer support is great. I'm very happy with this kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode