Looking to buy M1200 - What should I look out for? - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:43 AM

Hey. '16 1200 base here. Just about out of break in (1500mi). Love it. Exhaust heat was my biggest issue, but I seem to have resolved that. Dash is dim, but write ups are worse than my experience. I have no issue with the rear brake yet, and have done a couple all day rides to and from the twisties without issue (comfort). Getting suspension dialed in a little even helped with hand vibration. I see no issue with the monster for your purposes. Buy what you really want and then ride it like you want to. Nothing else will make you as happy. Certainly not "settling" for a bike you don't love and want to get out and ride :-)
Dash -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:44 AM

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianq103 View Post
At the very least, make sure you don't end up with Sonic's bike! What was the serial number on that thing again?...
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, the dealership I traded to doesn't know!!!! (Actually they do, I gave them all the paperwork, I don't roll like that).

and DarR, I traded my 1200S for a FJ09. The FJ is definitely a better "only one" bike....and it's also definitely lacking in some areas compared to the 1200S. FWIW, when I test rode it the dealer weasel was all, pretty fast yeah? and I was like umm, dude, I guess for most people but you need to realize I'm coming off 20k+ miles on that thing (pointing to the Monster).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:33 PM

Garage
@Sonic Duck
IDK you had an FJ-09. I was very impressed by the bike. It's very much as good of an all-rounder as you can find, especially for the price. It doesn't replace both my Monster and Panigale however. But a bike like an FJ-09 could sure come in handy for a weekend getaway.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959 (gone but shall return in a new iteration)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:09 PM

Agree. The FZ and FJ share an amazing motor. But I have my monster for its own reasons :-)
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0427 View Post
Agree. The FZ and FJ share an amazing motor. But I have my monster for its own reasons :-)
I don't really get all the praise for it. It seems a lot like the old superbike four banger motors when they weren't so oversquare and didn't rev to the moon. Reminds me strongly of an old FZR. Which is fine, just doesn't amaze me.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:07 PM

You're asking a lot. It's not out there. I'd compare bikes to women, but...

I'd buy the Monster 1200 if you love it, and for the right reasons, what it is, and what it does. And how great it looks - wait, am I talking about bikes or women? Haha. ?

Keeping a bike forever? Maybe. Get another to do/be something else, sure. If you can swing it, and it works, keep both, and so on.

Purpose is the biggest consideration. I'm sure the M1200 could do something off road to a limited degree. I refuse to ride mine on gravel, it's just wrong. Street, especially twisties - all day long.

Brand new - that's fine if you can afford it, but you'll be ahead searching for a clean used whatever you decide to get. Decide what you want, then get the best used one you can afford. I bought a used 2014 S with 2k miles. Barely broken in for under 10k. (Tip of the hat to Sonic again)

There are so many great bikes out there, but few that inspire like the Monster. I've had many bikes over the past many decades. All different, all great (well most).

My 2 cents. The Speed Triple is great. You could go back years, and years, used, dirt cheap and get a great bike in the naked category. Not that far at all behind the Monster for general fun. Get one with low miles, one owner, verifiable history, etc. You can't go wrong. If you figure out what's next, you still have a great bike, with its own purpose and start the process over again.

The Monster is pricey, but worth it if you can appreciate it. I do mine, damn it's fun. But then I like to have a blast and I'm a sucker for a sexy. If it craps out after a few years or I get twitchy, I'll buy that anticipated '18 R when they're available used, and save a bunch of cash. But the S is all that's needed, and then there's always more to want. The standard 1200 is great too. Not to be overlooked.

Let us know what you ultimately get.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post
I just sold my 1200s and my bike was a nightmare.

Decades? Around the world? Don't get a Monster.

Granted, one would be have to be pretty dim to think any bike could meet these requirements...maybe a KLR650? Not very sexy though. But some people think they are rugged, eye of the beholder I guess.

Sorry to hear that but I just picked this up.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1497930450.638949.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	206682Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1497930469.811008.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	206690
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianq103 View Post
...and now to answer your question. The bike you want to do all those things is definitely not going to be a naked bike. Trust me, as the guy who is looking for bike number three, it's a real challenge to get a gorgeous, do-it-all motorcycle. No matter what, there is always a compromise. The bikes that are closest to doing most things well are the adventure touring "bird-beak bikes", which discounts the sexy factor! The nicest looking one, in my opinion, is one of the few non-bird beak ones, the Africa Twin. It's also the most technically simple of the current crop of ADV's as well. Now would I call it sexy? Hell no! But I didn't like the look initially but it has grown on me. As always, demo everything you can get your hands on, see everything you can see, YouTube search everything you can and then go with what moves you the most. How it ultimately makes you feel is what is going to make a life long relationship, with a bike I mean. People are just f'd up!
About that...

Reparto Corse edition :

Other than that...i agree
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

I do still think the Monster is at my heart as first choice.

As for off-road, if I get the Monster, I definitely won't be taking it off road, one of my dreams is to ride around multiple countries/around the world, so if I choose the Monster I'd definitely stick to roads when doing that.

With regards to gadgets, sounds like the 1200S will do me just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Finally a fuel and gear indicator (which are minor annoyances but they're nice to have).
This is a big plus for me, my current bike has none of this, but fuel indicator is super important to me. I've run out of fuel once on my current bike and ever since then, I've been super paranoid and filled up when I felt like I was getting low... a lot of the times even when I wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post
I just sold my 1200s and my bike was a nightmare.

Decades? Around the world? Don't get a Monster.

Granted, one would be have to be pretty dim to think any bike could meet these requirements...maybe a KLR650? Not very sexy though. But some people think they are rugged, eye of the beholder I guess.
I definitely felt that I was asking a lot, therefore I am willing to sacrifice the off-road "Let's travel from the Shire to Mordor" type journeys for a good on-road bike with killer looks. I have no issues sticking to roads as I will be on-road by default pretty much 100% of the time. So by default, the Monster will actually serve me much better than any ADV. For me to go off-road, it'd have to be an actual planned out trip to specifically do just that ... which I actually wanted to do, though it's not a deal killer if I don't do it.

I honestly feel like the Monster is for me. The only thing that worries me is will it survive the test of time no matter how much I take care of it. With all these new age gadgets and tech, 30 years from now it may seem like repairing said gadgets may be a negative, as technology may have advanced so much that the 2017 M1200S's tech is so outdated that no one will repair it anymore. I fear it'd be like going to a computer store to get your type writer repaired.

But ofcourse, all bikes these days will have this tech, so to avoid the scenario above would be to avoid bikes altogether. So I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Other than that, I feel like I need a M1200S. I'll keep you guys updated with what happens and if a M1200S ends up in my garage.

Information and opinions were much appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode